Driving with no navigation

nautofon

Re: Driving with no navigation

#61 Post by nautofon » 30 Jun 2020 18:59

@Aristarh, very nice work! That's exactly what I need. (My apologies for replying late, I was busy IRL.)

I haven't been to St. George in ATS, so please forgive me for asking: Do I understand correctly that all of these street names do in fact appear on signs in the game world?

Do you happen to have similar maps for any other cities? I could in turn offer some for Arizona, e. g. Phoenix (0.6  MB).

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Aristarh

#62 Post by Aristarh » 01 Jul 2020 05:17

@nautofon, I liked your Phoenix! Here are more maps. All street names are taken from the game.
Attachments
Salina.jpg
Page.jpg
Cedar.jpg
nautofon

#63 Post by nautofon » 02 Jul 2020 00:43

Man, that's awesome. :mrgreen:

I collected all the street name maps I know of in a new thread over in the "Game Media" section:
viewtopic.php?f=193&t=286952

Not all cities have street names, particularly not all cities in CA, NV and NM. But I hope we'll eventually have maps of most places that do!
luibee

#64 Post by luibee » 07 Oct 2020 06:42

How cool you guys come up with this wonderful idea.

I am a newbie (only 40 hr drive), and I am not an American, but I always want to travel to your country and make a road trip.

I can't tell how much I love you guys' idea of driving without navigation. But I wonder if it is possible to a non-American driver. Anyway, I will try it next time I game.

I will first try to turn off all route advisor. As soon as I take a job, I will open the map, plan myself a route, note down all the street names, numbers and maybe (just maybe because I dont know I am able to do this) how far the road takes before I have to change to another direction.

Wish me luck guys. Hope there are more people driving like this.
Happy trucking.
Mic_2

#65 Post by Mic_2 » 07 Oct 2020 06:53

Good luck with it, and it is definitely pissible for a non-American to do as I am from the Netherlands and I find driving without navigation a lot easier in ATS than in ETS2. Generally noting the route numbers will be enough, on most places they are signed properly and the only thing that might require the map view is finding the company within a city.

Personally I have a few hundred hours in so I know almost all the mayor and a lot of the minor roads, but simply following the route numbers very easy to do.
Skoot

#66 Post by Skoot » 07 Oct 2020 07:16

@luibee the American West is easy to navigate without much electronic help. I've learnt all major routes and junctions in those 300 or so hours I've clocked playing with map DLCs. I always look at the map to plan my route before going anywhere though. And I'm not from America too.
luibee

#67 Post by luibee » 08 Oct 2020 01:08

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your recommendations.

Last night, I made it. Voila!

I did my first Freight job without navigation at all. Just a short trip, from Oakdale to Yuma, but to me it was a big success. Although I had to pause and look at the map a lot (like 20 times, especially when I was in the cities where no signs around to help). Damage: 1 crash, 1 major miss turn. It happend when I was on the giant bridge (idk if it is called a bridge?) to Los Angeles (I was from 99 Bakersfield to 5 Carlsbad). The bridge was so huge that I did not know where to turn and when I realized I was in the center of the city, it was too late.

One thing I realized that I could not turn off the in-truck GPS. I do not know if we can/should or not, but right now, it helps me a lot. I must figure out what should do within the city and how to look for a specific company.

Anyway, I did it and I am happy. :mrgreen:
Attachments
rsz_ats_20201007_225907_00.jpg
Mic_2

#68 Post by Mic_2 » 08 Oct 2020 06:25

Congrats on the success. The cities in California do have relatively few signes compared to at least the paid dlc's (don't know goe Arizona is) and finding a company inside a city can indeed be quite a challenge. Generally if you go ti the city more often you will start to remember how things are, but it takes time.

In regards to the dashboard navigation, there is a button to cycle through it like the normal gps, with an additional position where it is turned off. It might be that this button isn't assigned by default. For learning to navigate usinf the signs it might be helpful to leave it turned on at first, because it will really help finding the exact place if a turn. I was recently delivering th Bushnell in Corville and saw the turn too late, ended up backing up into the traffic behind me, and then making a turn mostly besides the road.
Skoot

#69 Post by Skoot » 08 Oct 2020 08:15

Wallbert in Salmon, ID always forces me to back into the delivery area from the street, and there's always a car or two that will sneak right behind you. But I drive a looong K100E and a 53' reefer with the axles all the way back.
nautofon

#70 Post by nautofon » 08 Oct 2020 15:21

BTW, I'm not sure if I pointed out the "interior zoom" button before. It's basically a button you can press that makes the center of the screen larger for a moment. I really can't imagine driving without it. It helps tremendously with reading signs. Especially so on low resolution screens, but it's useful even on a 5K screen.

I have mine set to the mouse button. (I drive with mouse and keyboard.)

That said, I still miss turns sometimes. Part of the fun 8-)

Return to “General discussion about the game”