Driving with no navigation

nautofon

Re: Driving with no navigation

#21 Post by nautofon » 10 Apr 2020 23:44

I think I already have directions for Ontario. Just give me some time to add everything I have to the wiki. That way, there will already be a kind of framework in the wiki and it should be easier to contribute.

There are now direction pages for three companies in the wiki as a test (Kenworth, Olthon Homes, Steeler). I'll wait a day or so before I continue, in case there is any feedback from the wiki admins or anyone else.

(For example, I'm not entirely sure that "subpages" are the best way to go here.)
To drive in ATS without navigation, it's helpful to use a physical map (for highways) and driving directions (for inside cities).

Skoot

#22 Post by Skoot » 11 Apr 2020 08:37

I was at Steeler facility in Vancouver a couple of times, so here are directions.

Go south from the highway past Vancouver - there's only one exit in city, and it's a single-point interchange. The road then narrows right before the railway bridge - beware! Then turn left on the traffic light. Both Steeler yards are at the end of the street.

KnuteOle

#23 Post by KnuteOle » 11 Apr 2020 14:45

I get lost in my own garage. No way I'm turning off my Garmin. :)

Technology With Pro

#24 Post by Technology With Pro » 12 Apr 2020 01:47

nautofon wrote:
10 Apr 2020 21:46
Very cool.

I went ahead and started a new category on the wiki, Driving Directions. As a first test, I added Olthon Homes because it's a rather small company. My first impression is, the wiki is a good place for this. I think I'll follow up with the rest of Oregon shortly.

If you (or anyone else!) would like to improve anything I add for Bend (or anywhere, really), just go right ahead and do it! That's what wikis are for. Be bold! :)

(attn @Technology With Pro, who I think is an admin for the wiki)
Hello, Nautofon. I am an admin of the Truck Simulator Wiki. I heard that you are making a new category called "Driving Directions" and that would be a great idea to add to the Truck Simulator Wiki.
Administrator of: Image
You can find me here.

nautofon

#25 Post by nautofon » 12 Apr 2020 02:16

Hi @Technology With Pro, thanks for the encouragement. If you could provide a template like you mentioned earlier, I think that'd be perfect! But don't sweat it. I think the link in the "Locations" section like currently on the Olthon Homes page also works quite well.
To drive in ATS without navigation, it's helpful to use a physical map (for highways) and driving directions (for inside cities).

Technology With Pro

#26 Post by Technology With Pro » 12 Apr 2020 02:25

Ok @nautofon, I will see what I can do for the template.

Edit: I am using the Template:For to link the directions. Like this: For (1. the driving directions to *company name* locations), see (2. *company name*/Directions).
Administrator of: Image
You can find me here.

nautofon

#27 Post by nautofon » 15 Apr 2020 20:49

Thanks for the hint TWP, much appreciated.

@Skoot: I added the directions you wrote in this thread to the wiki.

@Nic Kowalski, since you just moved to Ontario: When you get a chance, would you please try and find the Gallon gas station that is closest to Ontario? According to the wiki page for Gallon Oil, there should be one somewhere in eastern Oregon, but I couldn't immediately find it. I'm not even sure there is a Gallon gas station around there—the wiki could be wrong here, so maybe we can verify that and fix it.

nautofon

#28 Post by nautofon » 15 Apr 2020 21:47

All right everyone, here's the current situation for Category:Driving Directions:
  • Oregon is essentially complete! 8-) But I wrote those directions last year for game version 1.34, and I'm sure that most of them could be improved.
  • Arizona has brief descriptions of almost all locations, but many of them could still use some love. :!:
  • New Mexico / Utah / Washington: Almost no content yet. :(
  • California / Nevada: Very little content yet. Many locations there are difficult to describe in a useful way, with the state of the base map being what it is. And SCS will hopefully make changes anyway in the future. Probably shouldn't be prioritized.
The pages with directions for the individual companies are listed on the wiki at Category:Driving Directions. You may wish to bookmark that URL.

"Now, what can *I* do to contribute?" I hear you say.

That's a great question. :D Mainly, you can do two things:
  • Use existing directions!
    Already now, that's pretty reliable when going to Oregon and in part also Arizona. When you make a delivery, look up that location on the wiki, and simply use the directions that are there. If they work okay, that's great! But if not, you can click on "✏️ Edit" (next to the city name on the wiki) to fix them.
  • Write new directions.
    Adding directions to locations that currently don't have any works the same way! You first need to go to the company's driving directions page on the wiki. Use the link above and choose your company. Scroll down to your city, simply click on "✏️ Edit" and type away.
You don't need a wiki account to edit. But if you contribute a lot, it would probably be a good idea to get one.

Speaking for myself, I will both use directions and add new ones, but at a slow pace. I'll probably focus on New Mexico (or perhaps Washington) next and write some directions now and then, while playing the game.

BTW, the wiki page User:Nautofon/Driving Directions contains some general information about this project as well as some thoughts of mine on how to write driving directions (and how to structure new wiki pages for this project). You can check it out if you want, but you don't need to.

GGtruckster

#29 Post by GGtruckster » 15 Apr 2020 21:56

Well I'm really glad that I found such a topic, first of all thanks for that. I used to play so much 18 wheels series back in the day and I have never used a gps until I tried ETS2. After all these years with newer titles I found myself I spend most of my time to create the truck and I get bored after a few hauls. And big surprise I found out why!! I lost the essence of trucking: exploring and learning on the go.

Long story short; now I start a new carrier in a city and do daily hauls with a day cab and learn the area first. Time passes I start to do trips to nearer cities to memorize them too just like I do in real life. And it goes on and on like that until I become a supertrucker who would find his way far away.

I think GPS totally kills the fun out of these games be it ATS or ETS2.

And about this Driving Directions page, it is just like a truck stop back in the day where you learn a lot from other truckers, thanks for this, it boosts immersion a huge time!! 8-)

bobgrey1997

#30 Post by bobgrey1997 » 15 Apr 2020 22:37

I play completely without navigation (no Route Advisor, no GPS, etc). I rely solely on signage and memory.
As such, however, I can not drive in much of California or Nevada until SCS rework them entirely with accurate signage (completely remove ALL original pre-rescale signage from the entire map). While I could (and have) completely memorize the roads, I don't find the illegal pre-rescale roads (illegal designs, they do not come with American standards) worth driving on, much less maintaining memory of.
All newer areas, I have no issues navigating without any GPS or Route Advisor.
I also prefer freeways and only use small roads when necessary. The GPS does not understand this concept, and I find turning it off and using signage to be easier than manually plotting a new route.

I only use GPS to check timing in rare cases. As such, I only pay attention to the bottom of the GPS page of Route Advisor (the ETA Line) and the second page (Job Info) for the time remaining. SCS needs to put a copy of Time Remaining on the GPS page and a copy of ETA on the Job Info page, allowing both pieces of information to be visible together on either page.
ImageImage

Return to “General discussion about the game”