Driving with no navigation

Bedavd

Re: Driving with no navigation

#51 Post by Bedavd » 03 Jun 2020 13:26

So for whatever reason, I've been spending my quarantine time making this map. I'm not quite done with it, there's still a lot that I want to add including delivery spots, rest stops, and gas stations. I thought that maybe this could be useful to those of you who try to drive without navigation with the road network laid out, however.

You can read more about my map here if you're interested! I go into a little more detail about it.

Check out my Michigan research map!

Check out my ATS IRL map!
*Las Vegas has been mapped along with all other 1.38 roads, LA and SF are unmapped out of protest for their future rework*

bagnome

#52 Post by bagnome » 08 Jun 2020 16:01

nautofon wrote:
30 Apr 2020 16:27
So I just made my first delivery in ATS while using driving directions written by someone other than myself. :) It worked great!
I had no idea this page existes. I've just had to turn my gps on when I got to town.
Before this, I would have no idea what the streets are named (assuming SCS added names in a given city) until I actually visit.

Would be nice if SCS added exit numbers and street names to the in-game map.

Technology With Pro

#53 Post by Technology With Pro » 12 Jun 2020 05:08

Hey there. By any chance, after the driving directions of all ATS companies is complete, is there a chance for the driving directions for the ETS2 companies to start? Is it better to make the driving directions for ATS only?
Administrator of: Image
You can find me here.

Skoot

#54 Post by Skoot » 12 Jun 2020 07:56

Nautofon planned to do that. Since I played ETS2 during the event quite a lot, I can try to add some directions.

Technology With Pro

#55 Post by Technology With Pro » 13 Jun 2020 05:03

@Skoot You're free to help expand the Truck Simulator Wiki! If you need help, you can ask an administrator (like me).

EDIT: I haven't heard from @nautofon for a while now. I wonder what he's up too.
Administrator of: Image
You can find me here.

nautofon

#56 Post by nautofon » 13 Jun 2020 21:14

@Technology With Pro I'm fine, thanks; I've just been busy IRL and haven't found much time for ATS lately.

As for ETS2, I'm sure the wiki could easily be expanded to cover it. But I actually don't play ETS2 myself and don't plan to work on that at all.

IMHO there's no point in waiting until ATS directions are complete. With the wiki community being relatively small and SCS publishing several new DLCs each year, chances are that'll take a while. So, if someone would like to add ETS2 directions, I think they should just go ahead and do so—the sooner, the better! :)
To drive in ATS without navigation, it's helpful to use a physical map (for highways) and driving directions (for inside cities).

FirestormMk3

#57 Post by FirestormMk3 » 16 Jun 2020 04:54

Bedavd wrote:
03 Jun 2020 13:26
So for whatever reason, I've been spending my quarantine time making this map. I'm not quite done with it, there's still a lot that I want to add including delivery spots, rest stops, and gas stations. I thought that maybe this could be useful to those of you who try to drive without navigation with the road network laid out, however.

You can read more about my map here if you're interested! I go into a little more detail about it.
Ha ha, I had read the first page of this thread and then stumbled across your map thread and figured these guys would love it and rushed over to show them your hard work, but you had already found it! D'oh! Already said it in your thread but again I think this is pretty darn impressive work and it looks pretty cool!
Last edited by supersobes on 16 Jun 2020 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image from quote [Forum rule 2.13]

Reignman

#58 Post by Reignman » 24 Jun 2020 02:10

nautofon wrote:
09 Apr 2020 03:21
@joschac2: Better how? What don't you like about it?

Personally, I'd like a way to answer questions such as:
How many miles to this gas station?
How long until that rest area?

That's easy while roaming free, but when on a job, I can't seem to change the GPS's destination. I can only add vias, but that doesn't help me with those questions.
Yeah that's the frustrating thing with the GPS when you're on a job. Knowing how many miles to the next gas station can be important info lol, but there's no way to get that info. Adding a marker does nothing.
nautofon wrote:
10 Apr 2020 20:34
Oh wow, the first set of driving directions contributed by the community :) that's fantastic! I still haven't found time to publish the ones I wrote down for Oregon. I guess I have to step this up now. :D

I'm considering adding the directions to the ATS Fandom Wiki, as "subpages" to the pages of the individual companies. That should make it easy to look up directions for a specific delivery location whenever needed. Would you mind if I also included your directions for Elko there?
As far as your written directions go, how do you handle the in game streets that don't have signs or names? Looking at the map @Bedavd created, it got me thinking about that. You can't use his map to get the street names even if he has the right street because the sign is still missing in game. Take a left on Elm Street is meaningless if you don't see a sign for Elm Street lol.

nautofon

#59 Post by nautofon » 24 Jun 2020 09:58

Looks like the "next gas station" problem may have been solved in 1.38. Haven't really checked out the new route advisor yet though.

Thanks for your question! I'll try to answer it below, and also plan to incorporate this as guidance into the project page on the wiki eventually.

Directions always need to be specific enough to allow the driver to find the destination. In well-signed places, it might possibly be enough to just give the location (e. g. cross streets) instead of full directions. Check out the descriptions for the companies in Flagstaff and tell me how they work for you!

Where street names are not signed or are otherwise not helpful, full directions must be used, always starting from an obvious landmark. Interstate exits are good choices, or maybe town entrance signs. Pretty much all of Oregon uses this style because street name signs weren't used much in 1.34. But it's also much used elsewhere. I'll give you Rail Export in Elko as an example.

In some cases, it may be necessary to offer separate driving directions for approaches from different sides. Look at Home Store in Bend for an extreme example.

Sometimes, a mixed style makes sense. For example, take Eddy's in Farmington. That city does have street names, but the Eddy's is embedded deep inside the city and a driver who doesn't already know the place would have to wildly hunt around for the cross streets. So, it makes sense to give the location first, plus some brief tips for the two possible approaches into Farmington. The Bitumen in Roswell is another example of this pattern.

Where signage is really bad or completely nonexistent, directions can run to absurd lengths or end up being somewhat vague. Check out Wallbert in Las Vegas (1.37 version) or Steeler in Ontario as examples.
To drive in ATS without navigation, it's helpful to use a physical map (for highways) and driving directions (for inside cities).

Aristarh

#60 Post by Aristarh » 24 Jun 2020 17:19

For orientation in the city you can use a map with street names drawn on it
Attachments
St_George.jpg

Return to “General discussion about the game”