Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

harishw8r

Re: Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

#3641 Post by harishw8r » 12 Sep 2021 11:20

LudoModding wrote: 12 Sep 2021 09:10 Yes, you were probably right, but you mustn't neglect the fact that modding and the creation of mods also makes the game live.
Mods are a factor indeed, but definitely not the major one. Mods are used only by a very small fraction of the total players. They also come with a lot of difficulties too, for example, waiting period for updates.

Also, not all people prefer mods. I for one do not use mods because of the reason stated above (and also quality in some cases). SCS is well aware of this issue and also they know the solution for this too - provide the content in the game itself.

Modded trucks are always meant to be a temporary fix till SCS adds things or an improvement for the SCS’ model. The F-Max mod or the K100e mod can be of a very good quality and preferred by people now, but if SCS adds these trucks in the game even with sub-par quality, numerous players (including the ones who never used these mods before) will use it. It makes things easier and that’s what anyone would want ultimately. This would be obvious just by looking at the frequency of pictures floating in the internet, of the new Cascadia mod (before Dec 2020) and the in-game Cascadia (after Dec 2020).
flight50

#3642 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2021 11:55

The new Cascadia is actually a pretty good example of mod to now vanilla. People definitely want easier and better support. Same with Aradeth's VNL. I think more people are using the SCS one than the mod. The VNL isn't perfect but SCS updates it accordingly to work with updates. I don't even know if that VNL mod is even still updated. For me, let SCS deal with updates. They must keep them updated prior to releasing to the public. I'd rather them do all that because day one an update or patch is released, all the content in their game must work. If it doesn't, they must fix it. That goes for maps as well. Some people are just too eager to jump in the game and not worry about updates....they just want to play. Most of us perhaps run multiple profiles and play based on what they have to wait on for updates.

Me I run a vanilla, light mod profile and a heavy mod profile. My light mod profile breaks wayyy less. Its also my original profile for when I first bought ATS 5 years ago. Vanilla, I avoid as much as possible because of stock sounds. Then my heavily mods profile is where I have truck and map mods along with everything and more from my light mods profile. I rarely play this one because of the updates. I only made this one for SN and ProMods Canada. I only run ProMods map now. So while I wait for updates, I stick with my original profile.
Robinicus

#3643 Post by Robinicus » 12 Sep 2021 12:48

I'm not sure I agree on the comments on % of players who use mods - if you look at Overfloater's KW for example it shows 123,426 Current Subscribers on Steam, plus however many people downloaded it through the non-Steam link.....there are other mods with higher numbers. I am sure SCS have a detailed analysis comparing sales/active users/mods but I would see the numbers being a lot higher than many people think.
Ludo Diabolo

#3644 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 12 Sep 2021 13:32

I totally agree with you Robi, because I think that some people HERE speak for themselves or on their behalf, and simply don't realise how important the mods have become in the game.

And even more the number of players who play with mods.

Even if I agree that I too would be happier if SCS could cover everything from the ground up without the need for mods ;) .
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
flight50

#3645 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2021 19:33

Mods exist on pc because the developer lacks something. Mods will always be because one person's vision is more than the developer. The K100 is very very popular. Well over 100k users. Compare that to the number of owners of a game that are active and that gets you a %.

There are many popular mods but that still does not mean everyone uses them.
Last edited by flight50 on 12 Sep 2021 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3646 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 12 Sep 2021 19:35

SiSLs Mega Pack (ETS2) has almost a million, but it doesnt mean all of those have it active or all of those are heavy mod users that modify everything
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Wolfi
Beta tester

#3647 Post by Wolfi » 12 Sep 2021 20:07

Mods are a good thing. They give people an option to "fix" what they don't like in the game. I had the same with my LT and Premium mods (fixing/adding trucks I wanted). Same goes for any popular mod - it adds/does something that people need/want. That said: mods don't sell official SCS content. Yes, they may keep people playing, but they don't give much incentive to buy new DLC's. For example: people using truck mods are less likely to buy a paintjob DLC, because it will not support the moded truck. That's why I agree that SCS should check which mods are popular and create a similar DLC. K100 is popular? Well, maybe people want old cabovers...
People use rims/tires mod, maybe making branded rims DLC?...
As flight50 said, while not all people will drop a mod to use official content, many will, simply because it's a more convenient option. There are some exceptions, like RJL Scania for ETS2, but that's because in-game alternative is garbage. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure that more than 90% of Renault T screenshots show SCS truck. (Rather than a mod)
With trucks there's also the added benefit of having them in traffic when they are made by SCS. Map DLC's allow for WoTR jobs, etc.
So yeah, mods are great and all and for some players they keep the game alive, but a mod will never replace a DLC content. However a DLC can and should replace a mod.
Seeing as people want old Freightliner trucks, I feel like SCS should finally step out of their comfort zone and start working on them oldies. Maybe change it: old, new, old, new... To satisfy a wider portion of the community?
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
mackintosh

#3648 Post by mackintosh » 12 Sep 2021 20:20

The 389 is by far the most popular mod out there in the grass roots. So much so it spawned several versions. Ditto for the KW 900. SCS dropped the ball hard on the modern classics. These two trucks should be rebuilt from scratch asap.
Some newbie driver

#3649 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Sep 2021 20:42

EDIT: Said nothing, I confused the models being talked about so what I said had no sense.
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 12 Sep 2021 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
flight50

#3650 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2021 20:59

The biggest problem with redoing the 389 and the W900 is multipled by 2. They rework 2 ATS pre 2018 trucks, then they must do the same for ETS2. If they rework all 5 pre 2018 trucks. It multiplies by 10. SCS can't do for one game and not do for the other when it comes to trucks. Ets2 has more lower quality trucks but a larger truck roster.

It boils down to manpower. They don't have that to rework so many trucks at this time.

Return to “General discussion about the game”