Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

#1 Post by supersobes » 15 Apr 2020 00:34

This thread is just general discussion about Freightliner Trucks in American Truck Simulator.

So as Carthoo teased, the new generation Freightliner Cascadia will most likely be the first Freightliner to roll into ATS.

I guess I'll start things off by discussing the cab types I think will come with the Cascadia in ATS.

The truck comes in three main cab types with both the 116 inch (short hood) wheelbase and the 126 inch (long hood) wheelbase:
  • Day Cab
  • Mid-Roof Sleeper Cab with 48, 60, and 72 inch sleeper options
  • Raised Roof Sleeper Cab with 60 and 72 inch sleeper options
For ATS, I would expect to see:
  • Day Cab
  • Mid-Roof Sleeper Cab with 72 inch sleeper
  • Raised Roof Sleeper Cab with 72 inch sleeper
I hope that SCS would include both the long hood and short hood versions, but for the sake of simplicity, I foresee ATS only getting the long hood variants.

Here is a general overview brochure of the 2020 Freightliner Cascadia.

Here is the Freightliner Cascadia Owner's Manual.

Here are a few promotional images of the Cascadia provided on the Freightliner website:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

On Friday, October 09, 2020, American Truck Simulator version 1.39 released as an Experimental Public Beta. With this beta, the Freightliner Trucks dealer was first discovered in the game files.

Screenshot courtesy of @xXCARL1992Xx.

[ external image ]

Here's what the dealership prefab looks like in-game.

Screenshot courtesy of @SuchManor.

[ external image ]

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, SCS Software published a blog post titled "Are you ready?" accompanied by a video. The video features Detroit DD series engine sounds, and it depicts a blue Freightliner Cascadia traveling Southbound on Interstate 15 near Pocatello, Idaho.

On Friday, November 20, 2020, SCS Software published Freightliner Cascadia® Announcement. This blogpost is an official confirmation that the Freightliner Cascadia will be coming to American Truck Simulator. According to what SCS wrote, "You will soon be able to experience the Freightliner Cascadia® for yourself from one of your local in-game dealerships!"

This blogpost also offers some insight on how SCS made the sounds for the truck. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they development team was unable to travel to North America to record engine sounds for the truck. Fortunately, they were able to contact a German company called Transportbotschafter who just happened to have a Freightliner Cascadia with a Detroit DD15 engine on hand. The blog post was accompanied by this video which showcased the sound recording session.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, SCS Software released the 2019 Freightliner Cascadia for American Truck Simulator! At the same time as the truck's release, there was also a small update to game version 1.39 which added a Freightliner Cascadia paint livery for the 53 foot trailers.

Here is their blog post about the release.

Check out the Steam Store page for the Freightliner Cascadia! If you really like what SCS did with this truck (or hate it), consider writing a review for it on Steam. It helps increase the visibility of SCS Software's products on the Steam Store.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
SmokeyWolf

Re: Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

#2 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Apr 2020 00:39

I wish we can get all the sleepers. A bulk commodity fleet would run a 48" or 60" mid roof sleeper to save on weight. I like the smaller sleepers in general as it can be used as both a local and regional truck. With logging and farming in ATS we need the smaller sleepers to give that niche market feel to it.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 15 Apr 2020 00:44

@Larry71490 I definitely agree that the smaller sleepers would be really nice to have in order to replicate truck setups that are used for things other than OTR like you mentioned, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like SCS will be able to do that. For every truck in ETS2 and ATS, there are no more than three cab variants. It's for a good reason too; if SCS included six cab variants, that would be double the work because they would need to model three more cabs and then make all the accessories and paintwork for the three extra cabs. It would double the amount of development time, which we already know from one of the live streams SCS did is approximately two years worth of man hours. It seems that they only add the most widely used variants and the flagship variants of things like chassis, wheelbases, and cabin just for the sake of simplicity.
SmokeyWolf

#4 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Apr 2020 00:47

@supersobes that does make sense though on SCS's part.

Double Post Merged

Hopefully we get the 122SD. Freightliner has hintes around about stopping production of the 122SD. @flight50 I added a 8x4 in just for you.
Attachments
2016-freightliner-122+sd.1.jpg
832-d1c637c4-8624-4a10-a4ae-1119f26e4772.jpg
img.jpeg
Last edited by supersobes on 15 Apr 2020 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merged [Forum rule 2.5]
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 15 Apr 2020 02:10

Now this is a thread I wanna see blossum. Soooo many models that can come under Freightliner if SCS is able to go back and get a few older trucks especially. Probably not happen but I can dream right, lol. Unfortunately, it also looks like the old Cascadia was taken off their website. This must have been fairly recent. Perhaps with the ownership change. Despite that, I'd still hope for a couple of older models that are not to far removed from production.......after the modern ones are in first of coarse.

@Larry71490. Thanks for the 8x4. I need the daycab one though. For me, a 8x4 just doesn't feel right with a sleeper, lol. I need this one though. I'd rather the dual tag lift wheel vs the single tag lift. This exact setup is what I want to own for lowboy heavy haul in ATS. The 8x4 with a 3 axle lowboy. I doubt we get the W900, 389 or T880 in 8x4. The 122SD is our best hope.

[ external image ]

The truck I desire most after the New Cascadia would be the Freightliner Coronado 132. It's not on their website but there are 2020 models out there being sold.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

*If we had a chance to be able to go back a few years for older models, I still see a ton of these on the road. For variety, I'd add these but the chances are slim getting these*

2017 Columbia
[ external image ]

Century
[ external image ]

and of course.....the old Cascadia
[ external image ]

Classic XL - competes with the other classic style trucks - W900, 389, 9900i
[ external image ]
SmokeyWolf

#6 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Apr 2020 02:35

@flight50 The 2020 models of the Coronado are glider trucks. They are basically brand new trucks but without a engine, transmission, or rear ends. Fitzgerald orders pretty much all of them then charge the price of a new truck with a pre DPF/DEF engine usually the 12.7 Series 60 Detroit installed.
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 15 Apr 2020 02:44

Seeing as the Classic XL is one of Freightliner's all time flagships other than the Cascadia, if they allow SCS to go back in time and add some older models, that one will most likely be the one that gets in ATS. I love that truck, and I still see 'em all the time. I'd love to drive one in ATS.
SmokeyWolf

#8 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Apr 2020 02:48

Only modded Classic XL is a paid mod unfortunately. FLD was the fleet truck of choice in the 90's and early 00's before Freightliner discontinued it in 03 for the Century Class and Columbia. FLD and Classic XL were the best Freightliner's ever produced! Coronado comes in second in my opinion as I drive one in real life.

Century Class debuted in 96 for the 97 model year and the Columbia/Coronado debuted in 02 for 03 model year. Freightliner Classic went out of production in 07 or 08.
poozykrem

#9 Post by poozykrem » 15 Apr 2020 03:51

Seeing this thread here gains even more interest in me, even though I'm not a fan of newer trucks (my #1 of freightliner is FLA), I would still take cascadia for a spin

Did any of developers provide any of modelling process teasers so far?
SmokeyWolf

#10 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Apr 2020 03:58

I don't care what Freightliner we get to start with as long as we get Freightliner in, I will drive it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”