ATS 1.39 Speculation Thread

FrancescoMasci

Re: ATS 1.38 Speculation Thread

#31 Post by FrancescoMasci » 23 Apr 2020 14:23

Agree with all the points @flight50. It's a few update since SCS introduced new roads, so it is time. I also think that LA and Las Vegas will have their rebuild pretty soon, the difference with the new cities is becoming huge.

I also expect that with DX11 already in place, and with a new graphical update, which means reworked weather, we could have the seasons. (maybe not but one can only hope).
flight50

#32 Post by flight50 » 23 Apr 2020 15:58

I definitely think a more advanced weather system is what brings seasons. I don't think both will happen on the same update though. They will need to get the weather working perfectly first before introducing seasons. I have said it before but I honestly think the graphics overhaul is the best time to get each and every asset season ready. Why keep going in to adjust more times than you need to. Just plan ahead. That way, when seasons do come and SCS can work out dynamic changes, each prefab already has the coding. As is, weather mods can already change the scenery statically. SCS just has to figure out how to make it dynamic enough to make it realistic. But there needs to be several options with changing season per each user's desire.

We technically only need 2 options. 3,4,5, etc is not necessary. Dynamic and static...that's it. I think we discussed this elsewhere before but I can't recall where. But I will repeat basically how I see it. The thought of more than 4 seasons come from @Sora so credit is due to him but I just elaborated on it. To make seasons dynamic enough, perhaps they really need to have 3-4 times the seasons. Meaning, don't make 4 seasons. Make 12 or 16 seasons. The more seasons, the smoother the transition. This helps with 1a) below.

1) Option 1 - Dynamic. Will cycle thru all 4 seasons based on real life seasonal calendar.
a) pull down. user can select duration to transition to their liking. 1, hr, 1 day, 1 week or up to 4-6 weeks max

2) Option 2 - Static. Seasons will not cycle
a) pull down. Default Summer. Just like the game is now.
aa) same pull down. select from the other 3 seasons and your game will stay in this mode until changed.

Depending on how well SCS can implement this, they may or may not be able to do it before our eyes based on the duration of weeks to transition. The total number of seasons ( the 12 or 16 seasons) come into play here. The more seasons, the smoother it switches. Perhaps loading screens, sleeping at night rest period or whatever prompts the game to change seasons if it can't happen dynamic before our eyes is the route to go. With the way distance mountains and vegetation work, they are progressive and the game can change things out in a subtle manner to where its not very noticeable by eye. Perhaps seasons changing can work this way. Kinda in a distance as as we approach, the season changes before our eyes. Just a thought. I am no programmer.

Seasons is a huge change and want but if they somehow got that into 1.38, the SCS community would be of fire. I can't even imagine how much that will impact the player base. Seasons, porting the games and multi player perhaps takes SCS to the next level. All three need to happen but when is the question. 1.38 for sure won't bring all 3.
Last edited by flight50 on 23 Apr 2020 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
angrybirdseller

#33 Post by angrybirdseller » 23 Apr 2020 16:23

I think rebuild of Las Vegas and southern California will happen but it wont happen with 1.38 or 1.39 as Colorado will be some work to for the mappers. I believe that 1.38 will bring new lighting and rework certain assets but Sora is correct about how to approach weather and seasons it that means will takes alot of updates to get to that point. Think 1.38 will rework some base map smaller towns like they did with Flagstaff. Stll,adding Mack dealerships do not require updates at all. The rebuild of the map will be incremental rather see reworking of the old map for the time being than new roads added.

Items like adding Bryce Natl Park or Arches Natl park these can be done on surprise to generate sales for DLC like Utah. The 1.38 the lighting comment does this only apply to lights at night or how to sun rays work in Phoenix verse Seattle based on weather conditions like tempmature.
nodin747

#34 Post by nodin747 » 23 Apr 2020 20:38

ok listen me. 1.38 will come after the idaho dlc release, after 5 month of 1.37 release. there will be no dirt on the truck surface, no smoke from exhaust, no visual truck damages, no old cities or roads rework . there will be dynamic shadows from player truck headlights, rework of global lighting, ambient occlusion, and some rework of old assets, like trees, and another unimportant stuffs.
Mic_2

#35 Post by Mic_2 » 24 Apr 2020 05:01

That sounds quite realistic to me, but I disagree about it being unimportant. I understand that not everyone considers them a high priority, but they can change the looks of the game a lot for the better.
Also I think we will see at least some other content as well, maybe a an extra road or a new ownable trailer
TheRedRaider

#36 Post by TheRedRaider » 24 Apr 2020 05:03

@Sora As much as I would like to see new roads added, I really think they should focus on beginning to update the base map. Then again they could surprise us and do a little bit of both.
flight50

#37 Post by flight50 » 24 Apr 2020 05:38

^ I am thinking they do a little bit of both. It would be nice to see at least one city rebuild tossed into the mix as well. Vegas or LA works for most people that want a rebuild.
joschac2

Re: ATS 1.38 Speculation Thre

#38 Post by joschac2 » 24 Apr 2020 05:49

If SCS wants to do seasons. SCS needs needs to do a lot of research into the us weather patterns
flight50

#39 Post by flight50 » 24 Apr 2020 06:01

Agreed. I remember back in June 2018 on that stream Pavel kinda brushed up on it. At the time I thought I remember him saying they had (1) guy looking into seasons but that didn't mean it came anytime soon. Just recently in one of the past couple of streams, he then said no one was doing it. So perhaps that person got pulled or Pavel just meant that he planned to get a guy researching it. But yeah I agree that the patterns here definitely need to be researched. The strange part is, how does SCS go about making zones for certain weather in the regions of NA. They can't use state borders because there really are no state borders when mapping. SCS uses sectors but sectors are square/rectangular to my knowledge. They will have to figure out something though. But it won't be worked out for 1.38 or in the next couple of years I'd imagine.
Sora

#40 Post by Sora » 24 Apr 2020 06:05

My preference depends on the specific roads. I feel like some of those connections are fairly important and would do a lot to open up their respective areas, either because they make an entire region more important or because they make it more feasible to access areas that otherwise have very few worthwhile exits; in either case, they make the map feel disproportionately better relative to their size because they make more of the map accessible. I like Coos Bay, for example, but I almost never go there because there are basically only two routes out and they're both fairly long. Ideally, I feel like every city should have at least three route options in or out unless it's flat-out not possible -- that way, you always have a choice beyond "do I go back the same way or nah".

But for the routes that are more on the cosmetic end, like US 50 across the Sierra Nevada, I can agree that a rework would be a higher priority if it's an option. My main concern with a rework is how they'd approach it; I wouldn't really care all that much about a California rework if I still need to drive across Nevada to reach it, and most isolated city reworks would be even more limited because I'd need to actively drive through base map for it. Pretty much the only rework that makes sense to me at the current point in time is Nevada. (Las Vegas works as standalone as well, but only because it borders Utah and Arizona anyway). If they were to do California, "just LA" wouldn't accomplish much; it'd need to be the entire southern portion, at least below I-40, for me to actually drive there regularly.

Return to “General discussion about the game”