ATS 1.39 Speculation Thread

Knightrider

Re: ATS 1.39 Speculation Thread

#461 Post by Knightrider » 09 Sep 2020 06:46

Would be awesome indeed but its not like that for performance reasons I assume.

Sora

#462 Post by Sora » 09 Sep 2020 19:58

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still in the "rebuild Nevada first" camp.

California is older and needs it more, definitely, but you're almost always going to have to go through Nevada to get there in the first place (and the Oregon border is super far from anywhere that would likely be done in a Phase 1.) I don't see much benefit to doing California if you're still going to have to drive through Nevada to do anything with it; conversely, even without a California rebuild, Nevada still borders Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and Arizona -- so it'd effectively make all of those states feel "larger" as well by giving them more connections to quality map.

Nevada is also smaller, particularly as parts of it are already up-to-date (Tonopah and Vegas), so it could conceivably be done in 1-2 updates. And unlike California, which is missing numerous cities and roads that could easily justify being there, the only new thing they'd really need to add to it is US 95 (and MAYBE Fallon and Alt 50). An LA rework alone would probably take more work than the rest of Nevada, particularly because a sufficiently comprehensive "LA rework" would basically be the entirety of southern California.

For all of people's concerns over "map shape" when it comes to future states, I'd much rather have a "backslash" (\) shaped map extending from WA to NM than a donut-shaped map where everything is decent except for the area you'd theoretically traverse most. It'd be like reworking everywhere in ETS2 but leaving Germany intact.

flight50

#463 Post by flight50 » 09 Sep 2020 20:28

Parts of Nevada I can understand, but a rebuild in its entirety is 50/50 for most perhaps. I think some of Carson City got an update when 580 came. If they every connect US-50 to Sacramento, that would be a rebuild West of US-95. Something I totally hope they do one day because a ton of people are requesting it. Especially if they continue to build US-50 East like they are with newer dlc's. I-80 can get some rework but that would be intensive perhaps. To get better elevation and more detailing in, all of it would have to get ripped out all the way to Elko. For me, the worse part about Nevada is the rock formations. Pretty much the roads and everything within 40'-50' from the road is okay. I think the vegetation is mostly good in Nevada. Most of the mountains have pretty bad textures though. They have too much contrast or they are pixelated.

angrybirdseller

#464 Post by angrybirdseller » 10 Sep 2020 05:27

Nevada not so much bottleneck is more pretty it up and bring the quality up to current dlc production. The map team could update and improve Nevada over many years. First rebuild Wells interchange and add truck stop. Then rebuild Wells to Elko, after that Elko proper, then Carlin Tunnel rebuild just do one or two sector segement improvements. These can be done next 1-5 years. California will be more complicated everybody agrees there.

Vinnie Terranova

#465 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 10 Sep 2020 08:15

flight50 wrote:
09 Sep 2020 20:28
I think the vegetation is mostly good in Nevada.
I have to disagree strongly with you. The vegetation is really, really bad. It is way too green. Take for instance the vegetation alongside US-93 (Las Vegas - Ely). It is a desert-like area: the ground is brown and dry, but ALL the shrubs / bushes / trees are green. You won't expect that in a desert-like area. Well, at least not that much. You would expect a much more dry vegetation.

Take a look alongside the US-6 (Tonopah - Ely): between Tonopah and Warm Springs (NV-375) the vegetation is exactly what you would expect in a desert-like area. But as soon as you go further north on the US-6 (Warm Springs to Ely) there is this ugly green vegetation all over the area.
You can clearly see where the revamp of Tonopah ends and the old part starts. The same can be said about the revamp of Las Vegas: it is very clear what surrounding area belongs to the revamp and what area belongs to the old part. And you can especially see it by looking at the vegetation. So I think not only cities and towns need an upgrade, but the vegetation need an upgrade as well.
Most of the mountains have pretty bad textures though. They have too much contrast or they are pixelated.
Not only that: there are several areas with repeating textures.
Last edited by Vinnie Terranova on 10 Sep 2020 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

Jatruck

#466 Post by Jatruck » 10 Sep 2020 13:46

In Idaho DLC you can see the difference too. New Nevada areas included are very nice and better than base map.

flight50

#467 Post by flight50 » 10 Sep 2020 19:58

@Vinnie Terranova That's fine to disagree. I'm not always correct. But when I speak of vegetation being okay, I am mainly speaking of the model itself. I think they fit the seen and are well down. Same with the California vegetation models. The mountain models are bad and have bad texturing though. The only way to fix that is to replace them. If the texturing is bad on vegetation, only the color needs to be adjusted. Much easier to fix than replacing an entire landscape model. Now I haven't been thru Nevada outside of Vegas and I-15 from Utah to Southern California a lot lately, so I really don't remember how green Nevada is in ATS. All deserts in the US pretty much do get rain at some point though. It's those moments that you will see more green until they go more dormant.

Example like this portion of US-95. Its has lots of green shrubs and lots of brown shrubs. Depending on the species will determine how it copes with the dryness. But yeah, its the models that I think are okay in Nevada. Not necessarily all the texturing. The texturing in Neveda is the main thing that can get face lifted in Nevada. Then comes the too hard edged mountains. Compared to the new rock formation tool, some of the mountains make me desire mountain rebuilds for Nevada. I also agree on the repeat textures though. When a texture is already bad, it looks worse when repeated.

Oddly enough, after the rescale, Nevada was actually one of my favorite states. I like the open land of nothing, lol. Nevada made ATS seem large. When Oregon came, it felt the same way. Large but green. Idaho followed as it feels large. Wyoming, Montana....they will follow suit because the lack of large cities yet lots of lengthy roads help. Now once we get to the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska...the Great Plains, it will be a whole other ball game with open and green. Talk about nodding off, lol.

dk00?

#468 Post by dk00? » 10 Sep 2020 20:25

I kind of want to see the tumbleweeds done away with or completely redone.
Tales of An Owner/Operator 10-09-2020- That's One Way To Break In A New Truck.
DK's Screenshots(5-26-2019)

flight50

#469 Post by flight50 » 10 Sep 2020 21:44

Ahhh man. Ditch the tumbleweeds, lol. I like that little touch that add. Even before dx11. I'd actually like to see a cool particle system add in debris blowing across the road. Leaves, blowing on the ground and in the air. I'd even throw in the occasional plastic grocery bag that floats around or that is stuck in the tree blowing in the wind. ATS is too clean and too perfect sometimes. America is not perfect. It has rough areas, there are dirty streets, there are unkept areas. Can't be afraid to let the cat out the bag if that is the case. Don't be afraid to added old or unclean sometimes. In 1.39 once Colorado releases, I'd love to see old farm buildings like this one from the March 26th blog. I want to see lots of buildings like this on the prairies of the Great Plains.

dk00?

#470 Post by dk00? » 10 Sep 2020 22:30

I would prefer them to be redone. As they are now, they look horrible.
Tales of An Owner/Operator 10-09-2020- That's One Way To Break In A New Truck.
DK's Screenshots(5-26-2019)

Return to “General discussion about the game”