ATS 1.39 Speculation Thread

Onagerlinn

Re: ATS 1.39 Speculation Thread

#471 Post by Onagerlinn » 12 Sep 2020 21:47

The tumbleweeds don't do a ton for me. If they were taken out, I wouldn't miss them much, but I wouldn't mind seeing them improved beyond being a generic visual.

That said, I absolutely agree that an improved Nevada would drastically increase the value of the surrounding states. Utah definitely felt kind of isolated prior to Idaho opening up, with Nevada and Arizona being the only ways in and out and both states being substantially lower in quality. Even without improving California, taking loads to northern California from Idaho or Utah--where you would have to cross a large chunk of unimproved Nevada--would suddenly become that much more attractive when that giant chunk of Nevada is a much, much nicer drive.

Moving on...I recently drove US 93 between Las Vegas and Phoenix IRL recently, and noticed a few things that could be added:

1. About a halfway between Las Vegas and Kingman is a settlement called White Hills. It's basically a cluster of gas stations (with truck lanes!) and kitschy convenience stores, but would serve as a valuable truck stop in the game.

2. Kingman itself needs to be restructured a little. The west half is fine, but on the east half, Andy Devine meets I-40 at an angle and the westbound exit is a loop ramp (see here) to accommodate for a railroad on the east side. There's a Flying J truck stop where the Walbert store is in the game; that truck stop should be in, and we can just move the Walbert up the road a little. Also, I think I've mentioned this before, but the I-40 junction with US 93 South is backwards.

3. US 93 between I-40 and Wickenburg seems underwhelming. I mean, I guess it's okay, but the textures just kind of seem weird and off. I'd love to add Wikieup as a small scenery town; it's got a mini Pilot truck stop that can be added.

4. In-game, traffic backs up pretty steep at the stoplight where US 60 meets L303 near Phoenix. If you're turning right to take L303 to I-10, it can take two full light cycles before you can make it to the light to turn, and since this sits in a 1:20 scale area of the map, that can bleed off over 30 minutes of in-game time waiting to turn to get on L303. Solution? A dedicated right turn lane, which exists in real life. Also, another suggestion I'm repeating would be to extend US 60/Grand Ave into the city.

5. Again, I think I've mentioned this before but L303 and I-10 is a full TI, not a traffic signal.

I don't expect *all* of that to come in 1.39 (or in any one single update), but those additions would make the Las Vegas-Phoenix stretch a lot nicer. I drive it quite a bit in-game add a lot of immersion and ease a lot of frustration.

Graf_Boinenn

#472 Post by Graf_Boinenn » 13 Sep 2020 01:36

One thing that I saw watching a video on youtube about 1.39 for ETS2/ATS.

It's on this blogpost, when they explained SSAO: https://blog.scssoft.com/2020/07/under- ... -ssao.html

"It is another milestone in our lighting/shadowing improvements plan that we are now executing, to be followed by new HDR light processing and introduction of more normal-mapped surfaces in upcoming updates."

dk00?

#473 Post by dk00? » 13 Sep 2020 02:04

Going basedoff of the fact that truckers just got updated for 1.38, that the chances of a 1.39 open beta coming very soon is good.
Tales of An Owner/Operator 10-09-2020- That's One Way To Break In A New Truck.
DK's Screenshots(5-26-2019)

flight50

#474 Post by flight50 » 13 Sep 2020 02:59

It would be nice if 1.39 is a serious graphic overhaul compared to what 1.38 was. Covid did affect 1.38 a tad maybe. But SCS had since January to get all the other graphic aspects together. SSAO was only one part but I think there is a lot more to come. 1.39 won't be the say all either but it would be nice if more came with 1.39. Getting ob late Sept or Oct would be the guess. 1.39 could be a more avg ob. 3-5 weeks. 1.37 went much longer than it should have though. All the sound tools are in place it seems like. But myself and others just aren't to confident in the sound team. That's why 1.37 went so long. 1.37 isn't the first time fmod was toyed with. This is a product that as been toyed with well before 1.37 released. A year should have been plenty of time to understand it. Either more training from FMOD themselves or get someone that does understand. I think the potential is there though.

howey

#475 Post by howey » 13 Sep 2020 06:45

Tbh i have no objections to the graphics side of things in both games, i never have really so i find it pointless in spending so much time in ironing it out compared to others. Cargo organisation & industries management is more what i want them to focus more on now. If they keep working out reworking places & roads or even add new roads that would be a bonus.

matt1982

#476 Post by matt1982 » 13 Sep 2020 09:35

I reckon it might be something to do with either dirty trucks and the weather affecting the terrain like heavy rain could turn logging roads into mud baths and hot weather they'll be dusty etc

jarryed

#477 Post by jarryed » 13 Sep 2020 13:17

Graf_Boinenn wrote:
13 Sep 2020 01:36
"It is another milestone in our lighting/shadowing improvements plan that we are now executing, to be followed by new HDR light processing and introduction of more normal-mapped surfaces in upcoming updates."
This quote has me scared to death that the graphics are going to be ruined even further. The massive amount of shimmering in the game is just unbearable, especially in Idaho. I'm even getting shimmering on the vegetation which hasn't happened before. SMAA was a very poor choice of anti aliasing when they moved to that.

We need a proper AA solution and that would be TAA. That would fix a lot of the jagged edges and shimmering. They should have went after AA first instead of SSAO. All SSAO is right now is a band-aid on a heavily bleeding cut. My assumption, and it may be wrong, is if SCS does go for the HDR lighting update for 1.39 without adding a proper AA solution such as TAA then the game is going to look even worse than it does now.

@howey
It's fine that you don't have any objections but a lot of us do. And then there is the simple fact that these are different teams that are working between cargo and graphics. Would be nice to see both. :)

xXCARL1992Xx

#478 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 13 Sep 2020 13:21

SSAO has nothing to di with AA, also it was said SCS needs to rework the render pipeline to get proper AA working again, the games already had MSAA but it was dropped to get lighting and shadow effects (deferred rendering), if you want smooth lines use a higher resolution then you monitor, and i dont mean the ingame scaler but native in windows or via nvidias DSR, also Super Sampling is also a thing but really intensiv on the hardware
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

jarryed

#479 Post by jarryed » 13 Sep 2020 13:24

Not everyone can go out and buy a $700 - $1000 4k monitor to make the game look good. That is the whole point.

The most popular gaming resolution is going to be 1920 x 1080 and will be for a little more time. This is the resolution that SCS should be focusing on. It's great if you can afford 4k monitors.

I also know that SSAO has nothing to do with AA. It is a band aid trying to get us to overlook the simple fact that the game looks ATROCIOUS at the most popular gaming resolution.

Disagree if you like. I really don't care but don't come at me with your all holier than thou art attitude that I have seen you post with multiple times.

xXCARL1992Xx

#480 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 13 Sep 2020 13:39

where did i say something of buying a new monitor? i said use nvidias DSR or Super Sampling or even set windows native resolution to 2k or 4k, i never said something about buying a 4k monitor :roll:

maybe reading before posting would be good, i gave solutions to the problem until SCS takes it on themselves to fix it right via the engine
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Return to “General discussion about the game”