Wyoming Discussion Thread

Xaagon

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#1321 Post by Xaagon » 25 Feb 2021 06:15

It might be cool if they give us an industry road in the desert part of Wyoming. This is kind of America's sample size version of the Australian outback:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0630264 ... 328!8i1664
flight50

#1322 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 07:08

As long as the road benefits the map in some type of way. Benefits like WY-28 linking US-287 to US-191 or route to a remote depot, I don't see why we can't get something like that is desolate state.
clifflandmark

#1323 Post by clifflandmark » 25 Feb 2021 10:47

Speaking of companies, I want to talk about something that happened to me recently.I ordered an item from ebay. Seller send it in the same day (from Gautier, MS), he also send 5 photographs of the item which will be sent.(honest trade) However, USPS cargo did not send me a track number. In the following days I started to receive a "arriving late" warning.

Then I want to learn more and asked to seller and he responded ;

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

My questions are ;

1) Does snowfall prevent the drivers from attaching or driving the trailers ?
2) Is it snowing that much on Mississippi ??
HRTrucking

#1324 Post by HRTrucking » 25 Feb 2021 11:57

It's harder to attach a trailer but not impossible. Especially on a surface that isn't flat and has gone slippery because of the snow the rear axle will slide away a bit. Or you just get wheel spin when you get your 5th wheel under the trailer.
But with snow everything goes slower, and dispatch usually just plans like all will be fine, think that's not any different in the US :lol:
Shiva

#1325 Post by Shiva » 25 Feb 2021 13:15

@clifflandmark It could be due to the Texas snowfalls.
I do think that the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_ ... nter_storm affected your eBay item.
It could be that the route the packet would have taken is or was unaccessible, or backlogged.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#1326 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 14:08

Its definitely the same storm that blew thru Texas last week that completely shut us down. Texas had blackouts and it sucked. Here in the South, we are not built for extreme winters that we got recently. That is very very abnormal weather for the South. When it comes to shipping, both trucks and planes are delayed or canceled. Don't think its just a truck issue. Your package will come by plane for most of the trip. My roommate works with the post office and packages have had massive delays last week and still this week. I ordered some thermals right before the storm hit and what is normally 2 day shipping from Amazon for me, looks like it will be 2-3 weeks.

States like Wyoming, Colorado, Montana........... are use to heavy snow winters. Pretty much anything South of I-40 in the South are locked down when moderate winters come. This year was an extreme winter. We hit record lows here in Texas and the entire state froze over...........yep ALL of Texas. That never happens. Its not necessary the snow that made thing rough, this far South its the ice. Ice is much much much worse than snow. You can get traction on snow but not ice...not by itself. Its not always cold enough for snow to stay snow like the North but wet precipitation that is 32F (0C) or below, it will all be ice until the temps warm up.
supersobes
Global moderator

#1327 Post by supersobes » 25 Feb 2021 15:51

Another thing about snow and ice is that a lot of truck drives will flat out refuse to drive in that weather. They park the truck and wait for road conditions to improve, even if the customer is waiting on freight deliveries. Just look at the accident that happened on I-35 in Fort Worth earlier this month. While they're not typically that large in size, pileups happen on the Interstates during snowy and icy weather several times every winter. As a driver, the best way to avoid that is to not drive when conditions are bad enough that you have such a great chance of having an accident. That's why states like Wyoming and Colorado have gates and barriers on the Interstates. When conditions are too treacherous, they just close the Interstate and stop all traffic.

It looks like Wyoming in ATS will have the closure infrastructure. Whether or not it will be functional remains unknown at this point. I found this sign in the map editor. (My screenshot shows it placed on I-15 near Idaho Falls, Idaho just as an example of how it would look in the game world).

[ external image ]
flight50

#1328 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 16:17

Nice sign find. One day that sign will be useful/functional. We should keep our fingers crossed. The day that sign and gates in the game become functional, ATS will be one heck of game to play with seasons. What happened in Ft. Worth last week was unheard of for Texas. 133 car pile up.........is not normal at all here. My mom travels that road every morning but fortunately she gets off the Interstate before that area. That car pile up is the result of black ice. You can't see it until its too late. It blends in with the road. If you watch some Youtube videos, I-80 is notorious for pile ups in the winter. All though its snow, its the low visibility in white out like conditions and drivers drive too fast for the conditions still. Its almost like trying to drive from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska in the Winter. That is a brutal winter road to drive (hopefully ATS get it though, lol). Northern states will definitely shut down the roads worse case. No such thing as gates in the South. Car wrecks and first responders turn out to be the gates.

Here are a few videos of I-80 in Wyoming in the Winter. This stuff happens every single year on I-80. When not Winter, its high winds on I-80 that get cha. In the Winter, its the snow. Sometimes the high speed in the US are not good. I am surprised this road doesn't have seasonal speed limits. At least post Winter weather speed signs. If they have gates to close the roads, have speed limit signs for these conditions.
supersobes
Global moderator

#1329 Post by supersobes » 25 Feb 2021 16:34

@flight50 I-80 in Wyoming does have changeable speed limits. When it is snowy or windy, they usually drop it to 35 MPH. The thing is, many drives ignore it and drive too fast for conditions anyways...

In 1.40, those signs were added to the map editor as well.

[ external image ]
flight50

#1330 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 16:40

@supersobes Ahhhh. Okay. Thanks for the lesson. I was about to say, that's just ludacris, lol. That makes zero sense. If drivers are choosing to ignore them one of two things will happen 1) they won't live to repeat it and 2) they should receive a heavy fine. Iirc, ELD's might track speed too correct? I think fleets have a way to track trivers habits like a black box. Thanks for posting those signs though. That makes Wyoming and similar states that much more realistic. When it comes time for seasons, everything will be in place so its good that SCS is adding all this stuff now. Same for weigh stations, scales and inspection stations. At some point, all that stuff has a chance at being functional like real life.
Last edited by flight50 on 25 Feb 2021 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion about the game”