Wyoming Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#1911 Post by Tristman » 03 May 2021 21:47

I honestly think expecting 3 DLC nect year is setting yourself up for disappointment. If Texas releases next spring, it is extremely unlikely that Montana would release in the summer.

I expect Montana releases in either fall or winter (but before 2023). Following that, I could see them either settling back into a summer-winter release, or shifting their schedule to have a spring-fall release from then on.
flight50

#1912 Post by flight50 » 04 May 2021 00:38

You have to consider that there is more than one map team. We have 4 map leads now. After Texas no state requires 2 map teams per state. After Wyoming releases in 2 months, that map team will go somewhere. If Texas releases next Spring, there are 2 map teams that will go somewhere. Each state goes thru preliminary mapping. They don't start from scratch. So work will already be in place. Not to mention much easier mapping is coming after Texas. You could be right, or I could be right. Both opinions are just opinions so only time will tell.
Onagerlinn

#1913 Post by Onagerlinn » 04 May 2021 02:22

@flight50 Yeah, that map is gonna look fantastic once we have TX/MT/OK in place. And by now, with the map as big as it is, gaps and choke points are going to be less and less of an issue since you have so much more map in play that *doesn't* have these issues. There's gonna be some awkwardness once we start moving into the Mississippi River region (we might be without I-55 through Memphis for a while), but by that point, we'll have the entire West, the GP up to perhaps Nebraska, and who knows what else.
flight50

#1914 Post by flight50 » 04 May 2021 06:38

With all the West in, I’d draw a line from Glendive, Montana to Jacksonville, Florida. Everything South of that line and what touches that line, makes the game first. That is the stair step I am hoping SCS builds in order to get to the East coast. Keeping a mix for all terrains for the region in play. Flat land plains and wooded plains. Farms and crops galore. Agriculture should flourish but this time.
oldmanclippy

#1915 Post by oldmanclippy » 04 May 2021 17:21

I'm taking a trip to the Tetons later this summer *knocks on wood furiously* and it'll be the most extensive IRL experience I've gotten with roads in SCS games. The only road I've ever been on from ETS2 or ATS was Le Peripherique and the A1 between Paris and Charles de Gaulle airport, but I wasn't driving. Other than that, I've been to San Diego and London, but none of the in-game roads. So needless to say I'm quite excited to experience Wyoming after trucking across it virtually for 1 or 2 months beforehand :) It'll also be a nice (long) refresher on the I-90 in South Dakota :lol: We might take the northern route on the way back through Montana and North Dakota as well. Lots of truck sim research opportunities
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Sora

#1916 Post by Sora » 04 May 2021 17:29

I've traveled through a fairly large stretch of the roads introduced in Oregon (and a handful in Washington), but not much of anywhere else so far.

If I remember correctly, I traveled the 101 from the Washington border to Crescent City, took US 199 and OR 62 to Crater Lake, took US 97 and US 197 to I-84, and then alternated between US 30 and I-84 throughout the Columbia River back to Astoria with a detour to MSH. It was a really long time ago but traveling the same roads in ATS definitely brought back a lot of memories.
oldmanclippy

#1917 Post by oldmanclippy » 04 May 2021 17:33

Yeah the roads in Paris definitely invoke a strong feeling of familiarity in me, even if I know they are not completely accurate. It's the overall vibe of a road/city that SCS nails so well, and I'm sure that's the same for most of the other roads/cities in the game for people who have driven on/through them.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
iowatruckerdgh48

#1918 Post by iowatruckerdgh48 » 04 May 2021 21:17

I was born and raised in San Diego, CA. While the roads and most buildings and scenery were not totally correct, the general feeling of the area made me think I was really there. Pretty much the same way in most of SoCal. Some of the places I knew exactly where I was. The only things I didn't like were the off ramps. NONE of them are as short and steep as depicted. Hopefully there won't be any like those in Wyoming. Definitely looking forward to this expansion, as well as Texas, where I am right now, visiting in Aransas Pass, just north of Corpus Christy.
Bedavd

#1919 Post by Bedavd » 04 May 2021 22:12

I've driven across the all of I-90 in the game (including what we'll get in WY) when I moved from Michigan to Seattle. I actually was briefly trapped in Ritzville, WA (where US 395 meets I-90) due to a dust storm so every time I drive through there in the game I get flashbacks hahahah. It sucked. The Wyoming portions of I-90 were pretty nice, very scenic but from what I remember there was a ton of construction around Buffalo that made it one lane for a VERY long time.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#1920 Post by flight50 » 04 May 2021 23:29

iowatruckerdgh48 wrote: 04 May 2021 21:17 The only things I didn't like were the off ramps. NONE of them are as short and steep as depicted. Hopefully there won't be any like those in Wyoming.
The base map ramps can and will be improved. Ever since New Mexico released, they have gotten much better. The on/off ramps is one of the big things I can't wait to see get fixed in California and Nevada. Arizona can use some touch up for ramps as well but not as much as the other two. Wyoming ramps will not suffer that fate. Ramps are either altered or removed from service. The more replaced, the better but the steepness is out of the equation now. One aspect of the game I find sometimes inconsistent is the banking. Some roads have it and some don't. Considering we have a 1:20 scale game, all curves that have sharper turns should always get banking so that we can keep speed up. Some of the base map curves are too tight with poor banking. I-10 in Phoenix is one of them as you turn South. I have to slow down drastically when hitting that curve. Texas will be more of a test than Wyoming though. There are a lot more cities with larger roads systems connecting up to get banking and speed. The largest interchange we will see in Wyoming can already be seen at I-25 @ I-80. Most won't have any issues navigating thru that.

Return to “General discussion about the game”