Wyoming Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5821 Post by Shiva » 07 Oct 2021 16:02

Maybe someday, flight50, maybe someday?
The souther Utah roads.
Jatruck wrote: 07 Oct 2021 14:39 Then it's time for a reminder: :D

https://i.ibb.co/FWn1pCx/01.jpg
That is missing how Cody would look. And the space it would take.
A tip, it is way more than dat single dot.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
ads678

#5822 Post by ads678 » 07 Oct 2021 17:51

@Shiva I know, the map I made was horribly wrong, you're definitely not nitpicking (again). Here is fixed version https://i.imgur.com/Nnw4WR1.jpg
Tristman

#5823 Post by Tristman » 07 Oct 2021 18:30

flight50 wrote: 07 Oct 2021 16:01
Not necessarily. Not all fans. Some of us still talk about the huge gap in Southern Utah. The proposed roads that SCS marked on their dds file is still desired too. The desired content for Wyoming will just add to that list when Texas comes.
True, I guess it would go on the list that gets repeated every now and then.

The thing with the list is that the opinion on what road is most important is very divided. For example, I think filling the gap in Utah is completely unnecessary (and I know I’m not the only one), and that additional roads in Arizona and New Mexico are much more desirable.
Jatruck

#5824 Post by Jatruck » 07 Oct 2021 18:42

ads678 wrote: 07 Oct 2021 17:51 @Shiva I know, the map I made was horribly wrong, you're definitely not nitpicking (again). Here is fixed version https://i.imgur.com/Nnw4WR1.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

With your permission, the map deserves to be visible ... :lol: ;)
01.jpg
@Shiva You should know that none in-game city is realistic at all (scale). So it's possible to do only some part, as all already done cities. ;)
LegoTechnicFanBoi

#5825 Post by LegoTechnicFanBoi » 07 Oct 2021 18:54

@ads678 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
SORRY FOR MY WRITING MISTAKES IN ENGLISH. I SOMETIMES NEED TO USE TRANSLATOR

A Proud LEGO Fan since childhood
flight50

#5826 Post by flight50 » 07 Oct 2021 20:26

@Tristam-94 Its definitely subjective as not everyone feels the same and that's fine. Southern Utah is like US-14 and Cody though. We should get Torrey or Hanksville as an added town along with the roads that take us thru Southern Utah. That way, the route is worth the trip. Exactly like what happened with Clifton Arizona. Where there is a ton of space available, SCS should use it. We are already working with 1:20 scale and people want more roads. Helps the detour feature. I and many others deactivated it because of the lack of roads. Too much going way out the way.

Causality of ATS's landscaping success is people want more of it. The mapping has just gotten much better. Once the standards increase, people naturally just want more.
Tristman

#5827 Post by Tristman » 07 Oct 2021 22:44

I wouldn’t compare Southern Utah to Cody and Clifton though.
Cody has almost 10,000 inhabitants, making it a small town with various companies that are relevant. Clifton has the Morenci Copper Mine which is also relevant.

Hanksville has a pop of 220 and Torrey 198 respectively. I don’t think we have any reason to drive through there from a trucking perspective. And is the scenery really much different from what we see in other parts of Utah already?

I think the roads down there should be very low on the priority list.
flight50

#5828 Post by flight50 » 07 Oct 2021 23:42

I'm not considering population. I'm only referring to the path/route itself. Population means nothing. Its about available industry that drives whether a town is marked or not. Anything can technically be scenic just as it can be marked. Tonopah and Picohe has what, 1-2 depots but they are still marked. We don't need a marked town to have 5+ depots just to be marked. I can easily come up with 3+ depots for almost every town that I might mention. You also have to think about remote depots as well. Salmon has Challis...Durango has Ouray, etc. Torrey can be the marked town but have 1 depot from surrounding arounds beyond Torrey as remote depots to beef up validation for taking that route.

-Red Sands - gives us a motel to rest at
-Between Loa, Lyman, Torrey, Bicknell and Hanksville, there are a solid 5-6 livestock places that can happen. Same for farming opportunities
-Conoco - tank deliveries for gas
-Voltison Motors - depot for car parts
- several locations to do a Olthon Homes prefab. Make a new type
-Plaster & Sons - new construction opportunity. Or this new church for new construction or even 50% or 75% completion. The background and surrounding mountains would be a joy to have.
-HMS - use this a machine repair place

The Southern Utah route is really all about scenery just like YS, just like Yosemite, just like Rocky Mountain Park. Its not much different than all the hidden race tracks, Garden of the Gods....stuff that don't do anything for trucking, yet people don't complain about those. But people complain about getting more scenic. roads in the game? Adding a town and depots is a bonus as it justifies the Southern Utah fill just like YS to Cody does. Cody by itself is enough validation to make marked. It has legit industry without thinking too hard. As stated, if there is room to add something, whether a scenic route or not, most people just want options. The road doesn't have to make trucking sense, its just need to be available for those that want scenery in the game. Doesn't matter if you or I only take it once or not. If ATS has one million owners for Utah or Wyoming or whatever, that is one million people that took that road...not just one. So it was traveled one million times for one million to see.
Shiva

#5829 Post by Shiva » 08 Oct 2021 13:50

ads678 wrote: 07 Oct 2021 17:51 @Shiva I know, the map I made was horribly wrong, you're definitely not nitpicking (again). Here is fixed version https://i.imgur.com/Nnw4WR1.jpg
and
Jatruck wrote: 07 Oct 2021 18:42 :lol: :lol: :lol:

With your permission, the map deserves to be visible ... :lol: ;)

01.jpg

@Shiva You should know that none in-game city is realistic at all (scale). So it's possible to do only some part, as all already done cities. ;)
Where is that facepalm emoticon?
:roll: will have to do.
Rock Springs, might be the closest, if taking from the Wyoming map. For the size of a possible Cody.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#5830 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Oct 2021 15:27

A month has gone by now (crazy how fast time flies) and I've explored *most* of Wyoming. Haven't seen US-30 from McCammon to Montpelier, UT-30/WY-89/US-30 between Garden City and I-80, CO-13/WY-789 between US-40 and I-80, US-287 from Lander to US-26, and bits and pieces elsewhere. So definitely enough to pass judgement.

I think Wyoming firmly earns its third place behind Colorado and Washington. Pound-for-pound it's better than Oregon, plus Oregon has a frankly gimped road network without US-26. The California rework is better graphically than many parts of Wyoming IMO but Wyoming's attention to detail is the best SCS has to offer, slight missteps here and there notwithstanding. Its road network is pretty good, and while it really is missing something big (whether that's Cody, Cody+US-14 to YS, US-85+Newcastle, US-16+WY-450+Newcastle, or some combination of those things), what's there is almost uniformly excellent, aside from US-14 in the BIghorns lacking sweeping vistas of the plains, Togwotee Pass not existing plus being under construction, and the Boysen Reservoir being turned into a kiddie pool. It is much more enjoyable to drive within than Idaho or Utah, and its value as a transit state is second only to Idaho's (it will likely surpass Idaho's value once Montana comes).

Some of my favorite parts were (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some because there were so many):
WY-28 from US-191 to US-287. The lush greenery contrasted with the red cliffs of Red Canyon is one of the most visually pleasing spots in either game.

Everything east of Gillette. A distinctly different feel from the rest of the state, and Devil's Tower's model is superb. Seeing road signs pointing to Rapid City is surreal.

Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. The Tetons are the best mountain models in either game, the vibe in Jackson is spot on for someone who was there shortly before release, and the snippet of YS we got is very scenic and a nice taste of what's to come there (more has to come there in some way). Even the signage unique to Jackson Hole was replicated perfectly.

Casper's industry. I'm glad this city got the attention it deserved. It's a nice hub for the center of the state.

Architecture. Following up Utah's and Idaho's excellent recreation of unique architecture is a task that even Colorado couldn't live up to. But Wyoming gets us back on track. Tons of super well made buildings, especially in Laramie.

Spoiler for WY-220: the herd of cows blocking a road off the side of WY-220 before the junction with WY-487. I just think it's really funny and something that happens all the time IRL.

The snow fences. These are absolutely everywhere IRL and it's nice to see SCS took note.

The billboards. I like the "See WY Wyoming is so great" and the wind gust warning ones. So cheesy yet totally believable.

So my list probably goes:

Colorado
Washington
Wyoming
Oregon
Idaho
New Mexico
Utah

with the California rework projecting to be solidly in 4th place so far with likelihood to surpass Wyoming if the cities get decent reworks, and possibly a jump up to number 1 if the cities get great reworks.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”