Wyoming Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5761 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2021 04:35

ads678 wrote: 27 Sep 2021 22:13 I don't think we'll ever get US-85 in Wyoming. US-385 in South Dakota is the most logical choice, here you can see what it might look like.
This could be true. Your map could be that area. But I'm betting US-16 has to be in place. Your map doesn't look too bad without US-85. But US-385 is a must. Not doing either US-85 nor US-385 can't happen. We need at the least one of the 2 to get to Rushmore from Wyoming or from Nebraska. Since New Castle didn't come with Wyoming, that road is more than likely a South Dakota road. I wonder if New Castle could get a remote depot from Rapid City if New Castle will be locked to SD.

I do like the thought of SD having Rushmore on the cover. That would be pretty cool. @oldmanclippy According to Rand McNally SD-44 is a STAA route between Rapid City and US-83. SD-244 isn't a STAA route so SCS will have to make fiction on that. Rand McNally has SD-244 as a restricted route from US-16 to US-16A. Sometimes not marked as STAA would mean a trailer length restriction or height restriction perhaps.
Shiva

#5762 Post by Shiva » 28 Sep 2021 10:59

oldmanclippy wrote: 27 Sep 2021 16:45 I do think it would be a shame if we didn't get US-16 from Moorcroft to Rapid City. I really do think that Newcastle was very worthy of being a marked city but that ship has probably sailed.

Regardless of how useful it is, I think SCS absolutely needs to milk the Black Hills for all their worth in SD. It's a very scenic region that tons of Americans have visited at some point or another. Mount Rushmore will be tough but doable (is SD-244 truckable will be another debate around here someday I am sure) but Crazy Horse should definitely make it barring some Eiffel Tower-like copyright. Anyhow, that means Newcastle would need to be at least scenic so I think we'll get it someday.

Whether they extend WY-450 to meet it or US-85 to Lusk is another story. If we get US-385 from Custer to Chadron then I think US-85's usefullness decreases as long as WY-450 is in. Would I love to have it, of course. Do I think there are ways SCS can do South Dakota without it, yes.
Crazy Horse Memorial?
I would rather see Mt Rushmore National Memorial.
And due to that, if Newcastle will get in, someday, then it would be only as scenic. In worst case, skippable.
SD-244, there are some restrictions. But what, that needs to be checked out. Propably size and or weight?
oldmanclippy wrote: 27 Sep 2021 22:22 Well actually I think SD-44 between Rapid City and US-83 is probably fair game for trucks. I'd have to do more research but it looks like we might be able to get through the Badlands that way. I personally think ND's badlands in Theodore Roosevelt National Park are more interesting than Badlands National Park in SD, but the former are easily accessible via a truck stop on I-94 (Painted Canyon Visitor's Center), whereas the latter is mostly pretty far from I-90. Ideally we get up close and personal with both sites.
SD-44 truck route all the way.

As flight50 wrote. I wrote this before getting to the end of the forum thread.

For Mt Rushmore?
I would think it could be something like this -> https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.9506 ... 791025!3e0
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#5763 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2021 12:52

^If that route is the best we can get, I'll take it. It is restricted for commercial trucking and that is the shortest route to be the best fictional route. I just wish to hit that entire stretch of SD-244. Its curvy and mountainous and SCS would make it great.
Shiva

#5764 Post by Shiva » 28 Sep 2021 12:58

In that area, there are different possibilites.
This could be a possible route too https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mt+Rush ... 25!1m0!3e0 . Between Mt Rushmore and SD-79.
SD-79 seem to be a bigger road than US-385.
And that could open up for US-85 in Wyoming?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#5765 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 13:34

Shiva wrote: 28 Sep 2021 12:58 In that area, there are different possibilites.
This could be a possible route too https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mt+Rush ... 25!1m0!3e0 . Between Mt Rushmore and SD-79.
SD-79 seem to be a bigger road than US-385.
And that could open up for US-85 in Wyoming?
I do think it would be a big mistake for SCS to skip US-385 from US-16 to Custer at the bare minimum. Yes, SD-79 is more generally useful for trucks, but it skirts the Black Hills and doesn't go through it at all. Lots of people and businesses and even industries like logging, farming, and mining are in the Black Hills, so trucking is reasonably important there. Not a Yellowstone situation in the slightest.

In my opinion, the solid red roads are required, and the light red roads are all the different options SCS has to supplement the required roads. With regards to Wyoming, US-85 from Newcastle to Lusk would open up the eastern portion of the state and benefit WY the most. Continuing WY-450 from Black Thunder Coal Mine would be an easy addition that would give us new routes to take from the mine to SD. US-18 and SD-79 are the bypass option but like I've said I think that's a bad idea to only do those. As supplements for US-385/US-16 through the Black Hills, it's fine. But I'd like to see US-385 all the way to Deadwood to meet up with the solid red portion I have there to get to Wharf Mine (and pass by the defunct Homestake Mine, the former largest gold mine in the world). US-85 from Newcastle to Deadwood is another option that gives us more options as well. I am skeptical that there will be room for the entire SD-244 so I picked the eastern side of it but the western side could be used as well. The problem with the Black Hills are that hills/mountains take up lots of room, but SCS can use all that space in a creative way I'm sure.

If I missed an option let me know but I think I covered all the bases in the greater Black Hills area.
[ external image ]

For Wyoming, it would be nice to get something in the eastern portion of the state before SD comes. Maybe they can use newbies like Iberia did. Extending WY-450 and bringing US-16 to meet it would be a good start but would only be useful if Newcastle got a depot (marked to Gillette or marked as its own town). I'm not holding my breath on additions to eastern Wyoming before SD though. It'd be nice but I am not sure it will be seen as a priority by SCS.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#5766 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2021 14:54

I think the dark red is ideal and the least we could get. The more roads out of Wyoming, the better. People like options. I-90, US-16 and US-18 is all we get though as option out if Eatern Wyoming.
oldmanclippy

#5767 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 15:10

I would like to see at least one of WY-450 or US-85/US-18 because otherwise the only option to get from Wyoming to South Dakota will be through Gillette and bottlenecks to get between large states like WY and SD should be avoided at all costs.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
rbsanford

#5768 Post by rbsanford » 28 Sep 2021 16:09

Yeah, the 85, at least as far as Newcastle, should be solid red. I'd also like to see US 385 from Three Forks to Deadwood. Overall though, that's a pretty good concept, but I'm afraid it might be too crowded in-game. The big issue with the Black Hills is that there's a lot going on in such a small area (incidentally, the Black Hills and some of the surrounding area, in 1:1 or near that scale, would be the perfect map for an open-world sandbox game). Take a tour on GMaps, and you'll find countless tourist traps and other odd landmarks, all in an area about the size of Rhode Island, which is a bit smaller than Yellowstone.

What I'd like to see from the Black Hills is Crazy Horse represented with a quarry. Sure, it's not as iconic as Mt. Rushmore, but it's much larger, and a more ambitious project. Plus, it's still under development, some 90 or so years after the project started, and they're not even close to being halfway done. It'd be perfect as a quarry job site, since that's essentially what it is right now.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
oldmanclippy

#5769 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 17:24

Crazy Horse would be a perfect depot especially now that we have the Volvo construction vehicles https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8340792 ... a=!3m1!1e3

And yeah, Annie (if she sticks around that long), the rest of the graphic artists, and the asset team will have a field day with the Black Hills. So many fun tourist trap buildings and signs they could think of. Their imagination could run wild and we could get some really humorous stuff I think. Bear Country, the 1880 Train Depot, the entire town of Keystone, so much potential for wackiness.

And of course the underwhelming tourist trap to end all tourist traps, Wall Drug. Wall needs a Rapid City depot for sure. Heck let it be Wall Drug itself. And then all the countless signs on I-90 that make sure you don't forget that Wall Drug exists will take on even more meaning if you can go visit it. Call it "Wall General Store". We even have Wall Drug signs on US-212 in Minnesota only an hour and a half or so away from Minneapolis. They're everywhere. I'm honestly surprised they didn't find a way to get their name on this sign in Kirkenes: https://www.google.com/maps/@69.719619, ... 384!8i8192 :lol:
angrybirdseller

#5770 Post by angrybirdseller » 28 Sep 2021 17:43

I like State Route SD-248 its former US-16 the road parallel I-90 from east of Rapid City to state border of Minnesota it be easy to implement as it like frontage road.

It gives the option for people liking backroads and its parallel road you can take the bridge across Chamberlain SD.

I see Mt Rushmore in South Dakota as it well known as Crazy Horse monument known by far fewer people. SD-79 its goes to Scottsbluff and Gering Nebraska can't see that excluded.

Return to “General discussion about the game”