Wyoming Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5611 Post by Shiva » 17 Sep 2021 15:30

Well, there are people that want more cities to Wyoming. eonellivlem And it is the smallest state released so far.
oldmanclippy wrote: 17 Sep 2021 14:38 I think the only parts of Wyoming I've seen so far that they really goofed that can't be attributed to scaling would be the Boysen Reservoir near Shoshoni (much bigger and a completely different shape IRL) and the duplicate Ursa Major excavator at the Black Thunder Coal Mine. Every other inaccuracy I've come across is understandable.
Boysen Reservoir? Definitely the map scale!
Duplicate Ursa Major excavators? That is a miss.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
eonellivlem

#5612 Post by eonellivlem » 17 Sep 2021 15:40

Wyoming might be the smallest state so far, but it's still a huge landmass that feels small. That doesn't bode well for the eastern states, blink and you'll miss them is the feeling i'm more concerned about..

I mentioned this a while back that SCS starting on the west coast may have inadvertently caused a rod for there own back. Meaning we may have already had the best of what SCS has to offer in terms of state DLCs once Texas and Montana have been released.
IvanKuz

#5613 Post by IvanKuz » 17 Sep 2021 15:50

So what do you think SCS should do/should have done? Omit some cities, of which Wyoming already has too few? Stop the development of DLCs so that they can rescale the map again?
eonellivlem

#5614 Post by eonellivlem » 17 Sep 2021 16:10

I'm not here to tell SCS what should be done, i'm just saying how i feel. I guess i wont be truly satisfied until the whole of the USA is completed and the game might play differently as we wont analyse every aspect of every DLC but just drive from point A to point B. As i've come this far i might as well stay on and enjoy the ride.
flight50

#5615 Post by flight50 » 17 Sep 2021 16:22

Wyoming is not the smallest state. I can tell you that. But I won't bother proving how I know. Wyoming is the latest dlc so they will pack it to see fit with the newest content. People keep judging Wyoming by I-80. There is a whole lot of state to explore. Remove any of those cities on I-80 and people will complain. Rawlins is perhaps to large. Its too wide East and West. That I can say but it doesn't bother me. SCS has enough empty in Wyoming from what I've seen so far. If Wyoming was a wasteland, no one would buy it. SCS did good imho. At the end of the day, they have to attract people to it and and if you think you really want and empty state.........you just paid for a dlc that is nothing but terrain. I seriously doubt anyone would be happy with that. I for one don't want to pay for a much of landscaping. We have to have places to go to make deliveries. Least populated does not mean the state is empty.

Most people that seem to complain about the empty space in Wyoming, never even been to Wyoming. I encourage you all to take a Google street view trip thru Wyoming, mile by mile. Then apply 1:20 scale to that and you'll easily see why SCS did what they did. I-80 is not much different than Raton, NM to Cheyenne. That is 6 cities and I don't hear people complaining about it being to much. That is a 320 mile trip.

Evanston, WY to Cheyenne is actually longer at 358 miles. For the most part, all the cities along both routes are about the same distance apart irl. The biggest issue is Rawlins to Laramie is compressed and Rawlins stretch to wide East to West. Other than that, I-80 is pretty solid. If SCS shaved off Eastern Rawlins to give a bit more space between it and Laramie, I think all would be good. But at this point, they can not remove it. It is what it is. Once Nebraska comes, I-80 in Wyoming won't be viewed the same way.
AlexxxF1

#5616 Post by AlexxxF1 » 17 Sep 2021 16:23

IvanKuz wrote: 17 Sep 2021 15:50 So what do you think SCS should do/should have done? Omit some cities, of which Wyoming already has too few? Stop the development of DLCs so that they can rescale the map again?
To my mind, Wyoming just shows too many cities that are hugely recreated on a scale of 1: 3 next to the road, which is only on a scale of 1:20.
yes, Waoming is a huge empty space, but you shouldn't have occupied them with huge cities that distort perception.

in Idaho it worked with Boise as the capital. in Wyoming it would have worked with Cheyenne and Casper too.
even Jackson works, as it is located at a sufficient distance from other cities. Rock Springs works as it is hidden behind the mountains.

other cities could be shown a little smaller, especially Laramie and Evanston.
then Wyomig would seem less urban and populous and "Riding the Highway to Heaven" could have been closer to reality then
Vinnie Terranova

#5617 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 17 Sep 2021 16:55

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is what kind of roads we will have in the eastern states. In one of the recent posts here on the forum I saw a map of how ATS might look like when the whole of the US is finished. On that map the eastern part of the US consists only of interstates... Almost no smaller US highways or state highways...
Bedavd

#5618 Post by Bedavd » 17 Sep 2021 17:01

Hard agree on Rawlins feeling too wide. I-80 in Wyoming could feel more empty, but I think SCS has also gotten a lot better at making you feel like you're driving through towns when you are driving through them. A lot of other places in older DLC's, despite being at interchanges well into the city, still feel like you're in the countryside before suddenly being in the middle of a metropolis. The Puget Sound Metroplex has this problem imo. There are tons of trees in Washington for sure but I've driven I-5 from Longview to Canada IRL now and between Olympia and Everett you never feel like you're outside of a city. Maybe briefly between Tacoma and Olympia but even then. With SCS's version of Washington the trees and greenery, while famous in Washington, makes you feel a bit like you're going through dense forests that just don't exist between these towns and should really be the suburbs of Shoreline/Lynnwood, Federal Way, Kent, Lakewood, etc.

With Wyoming and Colorado (and even Idaho with Boise but that was helped my Nampa) SCS has mapping has gotten better at making you feel like the interstate is actually entering a town when you do. That makes Rock Springs, Rawlins, and Laramie feel much bigger than we're used to as well. It seems like they're a little bit a victim of their own success. However, drive along US 191 from Rock Springs to Jackson, or WYO 28, or WYO 51 and you definitely get that desolate feeling, IMO.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
pigbrother

#5619 Post by pigbrother » 17 Sep 2021 17:09

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 17 Sep 2021 16:55 The only thing I'm a bit worried about is what kind of roads we will have in the eastern states. In one of the recent posts here on the forum I saw a map of how ATS might look like when the whole of the US is finished. On that map the eastern part of the US consists only of interstates... Almost no smaller US highways or state highways...
I expect this to be the case. Also, no more 5000 people towns, they will barely fit the biggest ones,
I have approximate knowledge of many things
SenseFM

#5620 Post by SenseFM » 17 Sep 2021 17:37

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 17 Sep 2021 16:55 The only thing I'm a bit worried about is what kind of roads we will have in the eastern states. In one of the recent posts here on the forum I saw a map of how ATS might look like when the whole of the US is finished. On that map the eastern part of the US consists only of interstates... Almost no smaller US highways or state highways...
Well, that's just how it is in real life, the highway density in the East Coast is very high. Unless they do like Germany and the Benelux in ETS2, where several IRL highways are replaced by country roads, but I don't think people would like that.

Return to “General discussion about the game”