Wyoming Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#1751 Post by Tristman » 14 Apr 2021 15:13

Highly anticipated, this blog looks promising. The trains sadly don't seem to get much longer (yet), but it looks like SCS has devoted some attention to the trains themselves (I don't remember seeing trains carrying logs in-game for example).

What really caught my attention was picture 10, especially the gate and general area in the background on the left, it looks very cool!
supersobes
Global moderator

#1752 Post by supersobes » 14 Apr 2021 15:24

Image number seven from the blog is here on Interstate 180 in Cheyanne. It looks like I-180 will be a drivable road.
rbsanford

#1753 Post by rbsanford » 14 Apr 2021 15:35

The Sinclair refinery in pic 10 looks very nice. The name on the gate will have to be changed, though, to avoid using the name of a real company.

That mention of Big Boy #4014 has me excited! I also noticed that there are different locomotives sitting in the same place near the Steam Shop in different screenshots: in pic 6 is "The Spirit," painted to honor the troops, and in the following screenshot is just an ordinary Atlantic Lines (or American Lines) locomotive. Maybe different heritage units will have a chance of spawning there, including the Big Boy! From a railfan's perspective, that would be one of the coolest things in the game!
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
TFOLRailfan

#1754 Post by TFOLRailfan » 14 Apr 2021 15:57

Woah! In the blog looks like we are getting UP 1943! But the thing that bothers me is that they reused the AC4400 model. I fact in real life it's an SD70ACe, built by another manufacturer.
Evil_Jason

#1755 Post by Evil_Jason » 14 Apr 2021 15:57

I would have another idea for a special transport event: Haul the Big Boy!
XD
If something is not round, it has then edges or it is broken.
Tristman

#1756 Post by Tristman » 14 Apr 2021 15:59

rbsanford wrote: 14 Apr 2021 15:35 The Sinclair refinery in pic 10 looks very nice. The name on the gate will have to be changed, though, to avoid using the name of a real company.
It looks like the Sinclair refinery in the town of the same name, so maybe they can use it that way. This should confirm Sinclair to be a scenic town, or at least a part of Rawlins?
Last edited by Tristman on 14 Apr 2021 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
flight50

#1757 Post by flight50 » 14 Apr 2021 15:59

Tristam-94 wrote: 14 Apr 2021 15:13 Highly anticipated, this blog looks promising. The trains sadly don't seem to get much longer (yet),
I'm keeping hope alive a little, lol. The below are only screenshots and not videos unfortunately. I definitely looked on IG, Facebook and steam to see if SCS uploaded videos yet. But the below pics do have more than 9 cars which is the longest in the game. Either the trains in the screenshots are stationary or mobile. Which one...hopefully we find out soon. The mod "ATS train Improvements" is exactly what we are needing though. Especially if trains will now be an industry in ATS. Most mods that get implemented into the game is because SCS figured out a way to get it to work and be stable enough to let all enjoy. Articulated heavy hauls, RMDs, and triples finally made it into the game. Perhaps a new code or way of making trains have been implemented for this new industry to allow more cars. 9 cars just isn't enough. 25-30 cars max for vanilla would be ideal. Current 9 cars should be the lowest and mid ranges about 15-18 cars. Those 3 would be nice to see spawned. If spawning is based on mapped train rail, spawn according the right train for that stretch of rail.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I also agree with rbsandford in that pic 10', that plant looks great. Thanks to the engine updates, the steam coming from it looks great. The detailing of the plant from long distance looks great. I wonder how the fps will be affected in that area. I wonder what those 2 cranes in the far back ground are for? Wishful thinking but it would be cool if we got a Special Transport loaded from back there. Maybe a much longer wind farm tower or a wind turbine blade.

If we are getting parts for trains, I'd like to assume that a few of those parts will be on flatbeds, like the train axles, bogies along with rails and ties. ETS2 just got ambient sounds for Iberia. I'd like to think 1.41 brings ambient sounds to ATS and one sound I have been waiting on since 1.37 released, are train horns, train bells and better train engines sounds like the mod in the video above. North American freight trains have deep bass and you can feel it vibrate thru you. It would be nice to get that along with this industry.
Bedavd

#1758 Post by Bedavd » 14 Apr 2021 16:19

I hope that all the rail construction and maintenance areas they mentioned aren't all lumped under the Rail Export company. The American Lines spoof of Union Pacific they have on the tower in Cheyenne would make a good new company for those areas.

Here are some photo locations. Hopefully, we'll be able to get them all with your help!

Pic 2 is in Casper, you can see the Wells Fargo tower thingy on the horizon. Likely the BNSF depot north of the city center.
Pic 3 is from Tundra Dr in South Cheyenne, here.(Thanks @Tristam-94)
Pic 5 is our first look at Rock Springs! The bridge is where WYO 430 crosses the tracks. Here you can see the Park Hotel building from the bridge.
Pic 6 is also in Cheyenne. The angle is from the Union Pacific Railyard. The tower in the background is from the Cheyenne Depot Museum. Here's a good view of the building from the I-180 bridge.
Pic 7 is the I-180 bridge over the Union Pacific railyard in Cheyenne. Here's the view.
Pic 8 is in the Cheyenne Union Pacific Railyard. We had another shot of this yard in a past blog post here and here.
Pic 9 is the same yard shown in Pic 10, but from an angle facing more to the East. You can see the gray shed with reddish roof, box car, and equipment around that area are all the same.
Pic 10 is the Sinclair Refinery in Sinclair, WY. Here's a blurry photo of the entrance.
Pic 11 I'm about 90% sure is another shot of Bill, WY coming along WYO 59 from the north. The curve and water tower are in the right place. The building on the left would be the hotel and travel lodge there. The weird metal "L" shaped thing can be seen here, and the water tower, American flag, and radio mast at the Union Pacific facility on the other side of the tracks can all be seen here.
Last edited by Bedavd on 14 Apr 2021 20:01, edited 7 times in total.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
rbsanford

#1759 Post by rbsanford » 14 Apr 2021 16:25

Evil_Jason wrote: 14 Apr 2021 15:57 I would have another idea for a special transport event: Haul the Big Boy!
XD
That'd be pretty amazing, but you'd need a very powerful truck for that. A Big Boy locomotive without the tender weighs between 381 and 386 tons, depending on what variant it is, while the heaviest special transport cargo is only 93.7 tons.

What would really be nice is an AI Big Boy that would run between Cheyenne and Ogden (#4014's excursion and trial route in early 2019), but that might be tricky, what with all the moving parts that have to match the speed of the locomotive, and the particle physics of the smoke and steam.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.

Return to “General discussion about the game”