Wyoming Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5571 Post by flight50 » 15 Sep 2021 18:26

The US in general just has wider roads and huge interchanges. If they are not close to 1:1, it won't feel right. The newer stuff is all like this. Not so great with the base map. The interchanges and on/off ramps will all hopefully go away. SCS is too good now to keep the false junctions in the game. The immersion level in ATS is greater with better accuracy. Some interchanges in the US is as large as a small scenic town. Now that is massive. Imagine now having to do a larger city like Cheyenne. Now imagine a huge city like Denver, Portland or Seattle. Now go a step further and think about the space it take to do metroplexes like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Los Angeles area or New York City. That is a ton of space an people still expect more things to fit in 1:20 scale, not happening.

Real estate comes at a cost in ATS. For every one detailed area that gets in the game, 10 are perhaps left out. SCS has to pick the best that fits and no matter what they pick, people will question "where is this or where is that". Its going to happen. We all do it.
Some newbie driver

#5572 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Sep 2021 18:36

plykkegaard wrote: 15 Sep 2021 18:16I think mountain ranges are even worse when talking about extra space occupied
Of course, but SiSL mentioned that regarding people requesting lots of roads and exits and interchanges (I don't remember if it was for the European part of Turkey).

His example was about: "that land has X size in km^2 IRL and just a single clover leaf requires near 300; do your own maths about what we can fit in."
IvanKuz

#5573 Post by IvanKuz » 15 Sep 2021 19:58

oldmanclippy wrote: 15 Sep 2021 17:47ETS2 has two maps: uk and europe. There is a loading screen between them because they are not part of the same map. The UK is fully 1:15 in both area and time. Europe is fully 1:19 in both area and time.
A small correction: the UK is still physically a part of the same map as the rest of Europe. You just don't notice that it is mapped in a different scale because SCS are using some dark magic trickery to make it look smaller on the world map. If you fly with a devcam from France to England, you'll see your GPS position suddenly jump when you enter the UK map sectors. But since during normal gameplay you can't get to them without going through a loading screen, you don't notice it.

Other than that, yes, thank you! You explain it better than I could. Any given area can be represented at an arbitrary scale, but it doesn't literally change the actual scale of the map, which is fixed at 1:19/1:20. Thus the East Coast can't be done in a different scale without rescaling the entire map, because, unlike the UK, it is hardfixed to the rest of the map with continuous roads.
Robinicus

#5574 Post by Robinicus » 15 Sep 2021 20:06

I’d post a picture of a dead horse but some may find it offensive……
Trucker_Tommy

#5575 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 15 Sep 2021 20:08

@flight50 sorry for off topic but you mention NYC. Are trucks allowed into New York City? Was there in 2010 and can’t remember seeing the artics.

With regards Wyoming I’m loving the detail but the map seems small with only 10 cities. Maybe though that’s just Wyoming. Apart from that I’m more than impressed.
Trucker_Tommy

#5577 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 15 Sep 2021 20:15

Thanks @Robinicus
flight50

#5578 Post by flight50 » 15 Sep 2021 20:23

Trucker_Tommy wrote: 15 Sep 2021 20:08 @flight50 sorry for off topic but you mention NYC. Are trucks allowed into New York City? Was there in 2010 and can’t remember seeing the artics.
I'm mainly speaking of travel thru the city on interstates that allow us to get a feel for size. Like we can in Portland, Seattle and Denver. I don't think we should drive thru any town centers of the top 10-15 largest cities in the US. Too much detail and simply to large for ATS. You'll have to remember that in the North America, we have interstates that go thru and around town centers on ring roads. Those road system and junction take up a ton of space.
Trucker_Tommy

#5579 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 15 Sep 2021 20:42

I appreciate that Flight. My question was just were trucks generally allowed into NYC. Robinicus kindly answered
plinio.lisboa.br

#5580 Post by plinio.lisboa.br » 15 Sep 2021 21:00

@Robinicus.

Very interesting the link that was placed if you get to this map of road routes to New York City. I have the wrong interpretation or not, but it seems that trucks are allowed on the side of the ''Tower of Freedom'' (in the site of the former World Trade Center) symbol of the nation, and also if you arrive at JFK airport. Just staying in 2 places like symbols of the city. When I imagine the map of New York, it is already well represented, not to mention the ''Statue of Liberty'' (symbol of the nation), the bridges and tunnels. It will be very interesting when ATS gets there, how we're going to see the Metropolis, and how SCS will be built N.Y, for game immersibility and geography of city.

Map Routes N.Y, USA: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/moto ... .shtml#map

Return to “General discussion about the game”