Wyoming Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5781 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 23:19

@Shiva You are right, I more so mean that Mt Rushmore has far more potential to generate controversy for SCS than Crazy Horse. That potential is very small but it's greater than Crazy Horse IMO. @flight50 explained it well as I was typing this.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Madkine
Global moderator

#5782 Post by Madkine » 29 Sep 2021 03:28

Can we take the South Dakota discussion to a South Dakato thread?
I realise this is partly a discussion on the border area, but most of it is about what to include in South Dakota.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
clifflandmark

#5783 Post by clifflandmark » 30 Sep 2021 10:52

it could be too early (depends on how the layout will be) to open a South Dakota thread.they have written about an idea, not a general discussion about S.D.

I remember I was writing about mt Rushmore in next 2 states thread.
flight50

#5784 Post by flight50 » 30 Sep 2021 12:51

^Agreed. Too early in my opinion as well. Take the conversation to the "choose the next state" thread.
oldmanclippy

#5785 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Sep 2021 13:26

Thirded. In my opinion, there's no need for a ___ DIscussion Thread until SCS has a public research thread for it. So that's Texas, Montana, and Oklahoma. There's other threads like Louisiana and Kansas that already sprang up but those are likely close behind Oklahoma so it's fine. South Dakota is very likely to be far away from releasing unless Pavel changed his mind about the push to Florida so it's premature.

The "Choose (2) States you would like to see next" thread should host further out state discussion IMO.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
gaillard

#5786 Post by gaillard » 30 Sep 2021 18:32

I didn't know _third_ could be verbed, but then I fourthen it.

Really, it doesn't pertain to Wyoming, and I wouldn't like to be called backseatmoderating.
clifflandmark

#5787 Post by clifflandmark » 01 Oct 2021 14:31

I was sure that I won't give either positive or negative feedback unless they add Cody to WY in steam.

but...

I was enchanted by the scenery in the Flaming Gorge Dam. It's really "gorgeous". You can't understand scenerys depth until you drive there. Blog images was not enough to show us it's depth.

I'll click on positive feedback before Cody.
flight50

#5788 Post by flight50 » 01 Oct 2021 15:13

Wyoming is an expensive dlc. I've now wrecked a few times because I can't stop looking at the job well done the team has done with the landscaping. The repair shops in Wyoming will know me by name here sooner or later, lol. Once again, Wyoming is a very open state and this dlc reflects that well. Get off of I-80 people if you think Wyoming is too crowded aka too urban. I have no idea how this thought even comes to mind. The entire state isn't desolate ya know. It does have cities just like any other state so it will have some type of urban feel to it. But its nowhere as urban as lets say Denver or Seattle.

I just got another run in for this weekend. I only need 4 more cities to make deliveries to. Rangley to Sheridan was my route this time. But I took the more scenic route and I went US-191 thru Vernal, thru Rock Springs to to WY-789, thru Riverton, thru the Big Horns and then Sheridan. US-191 is one of the best roads I've been on in the game. Its awesome to see such an inexperienced team do so well on their first project. Training well done. It perplexing to see when some people keep saving that modder map better than SCS, lol. This is not 2016 base map stuff where getting. Far from it. SN is good but it not SCS 2020+ mapping. The terrain bugs can kill immersion for me. When I see map mods with floaties and terrain gaps, I leave them alone. I'm very picky with map mods so I just don't use them because of the immersion break. I'm fine and patient enough to just wait for SCS to cover (x) area in the US. I'm not in that much of a rush to go beyond what SCS hasn't mapped yet.

Its great to see that the Colorado team isn't the only team that can map great landscapes and bring elevation changes where its needed. Utah and Idaho are awesome map but missing things that are a bit disappointing. In Wyoming, between Vernal and Rock Springs, US-191 reminds me of White Bird Hill in Idaho. What a disappointment White Bird Hill is. For those that remember my words....yes I'm still talking about it. Colorado and Wyoming elevations makes White Bird Hill even worse. The justice is not served on such an infamous hill. The landscaping is great but the elevation mark was missed by a mile. Way too flat and no summit like it should have. The hill should be rework, tweaked or something. Add in the fact that Idaho brought zero new companies to the playing field and the dlc doesn't hold the same weight for me as Colorado and Wyoming. Texas will more than likely will derate Idaho big time. We'll see. Anywho, I was hauling the new Volvo wheel loader and my truck got a solid chance to work the grades. I actually had to downshift and even split gears on this trip. This I love. Its immersive. I was so immersed into the scenery that I almost ran out of gas. I was well past Riverton and heading into the Big Horns when the light/message came on. There are no fuel stations along this stretch of road. I was like ahhhhhh crap. The elevations was so good that I was able to coast the truck on the down grades and much as I could. I made it to Sheridan with about 20g of fuel left.

I have only a few more roads to discover in Wyoming and I'm seriously loving this dlc. The backroads are gorgeous. Well done Davido and team. @Nemiro , you should be proud of you brother first successful dlc that gets a lot of positives. I hope you took him out to dinner on release night, lol. I remember people kept wanting Patrik's team to do this state or that state because of his team recognition. Its great to know that moving forward, we have more capable mappers. I'm sure hoping that the Wyoming team went to Montana to have some more landscaping fun. Western Montana is going to be a joy to have if its going to be anything like Wyoming is.
rbsanford

#5789 Post by rbsanford » 01 Oct 2021 16:06

clifflandmark wrote: 01 Oct 2021 14:31 I was enchanted by the scenery in the Flaming Gorge Dam. It's really "gorgeous". You can't understand scenerys depth until you drive there. Blog images was not enough to show us it's depth.
Everything on the 191 north of the dam is amazing as well. It was represented very nicely, the way you climb out from Red Canyon to Dutch John Gap, then you go on to Minnies Gap at the state line, and you climb up the side of Little Mountian with those incredible views. The highway between Rock Springs and Farson was also very well done.

Overall, the 191, taking into account its entire length and new additions, is possibly the most scenic road in the game. The only things it now needs to earn that title is Gallatin Canyon and a rework to that long stretch in Arizona.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Reignman

#5790 Post by Reignman » 02 Oct 2021 00:11

Reignman wrote: 19 Sep 2021 06:02And I have one other small complaint. The weigh station in Cheyenne. More specifically where the sensor is located coming up from the south. I had a load to Rail Export in Cheyenne, which is the first exit from the south, but the WS sensor flagged me, and that takes you way out of your way. I don't know if it's like that IRL, but that's an incredibly inconvenient spot for it lol. Cool, almost done with this delivery ... J/K ... we need you to go 80 miles out of your way first. I opted to pay the $700 fine instead.
Shiva wrote: 19 Sep 2021 09:54 @Reignman
In IRL time, that distance/time won't be so bad.
80miles? You did not come from Colorado to Wyoming?
If you did, then the miles would have been 9miles vs 35miles. 26mile difference. Counting from the over/underpass and roundabout at Exit 4 0n I-25.
So not even close to that 80miles out of the way.
Lol ok yep, you caught my exaggeration. The blue line on my map is about 9 miles, and the red is about 31. It would be more convenient if they put the sensor before the off ramp so you could just bypass the exit if you get flagged, otherwise you have to exit the highway, get flagged, and then immediately get back on the highway and merge. And I just noticed there's a senor on the other side too, so if you got a load from Rail Export heading south, you might have to go out of your way there too. Yeah I'm paying the $700 fine every time lol.

In real life (using street view), I can't see where the sensors are. I see 2 camera like things up on light poles around the roundabout, otherwise I didn't see any sensors along the highway leading up to the exit either. In real life the trip (red line) would be 6 miles out of the way. More importantly, why didn't Wyoming put the port of entry before Cheyenne? There's plenty of space between the border and Cheyenne. Most of the other port of entries work that way. Maybe it was like that originally and that southern part of Cheyenne came later? There are only a handful of businesses in that area atm.

[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”