Wyoming Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#5751 Post by flight50 » 27 Sep 2021 16:57

Yeah I think US-385 is the 100% lock. The problem for me is the East to West gap between US-385 and WY-59/I-25. That gap is a wide one without US-85. I'm cool with US-85 only North of US-26 but connect it to I-90 in North Dakota. WY-450 is not a must to connect to
US-16 but it too provide more than one way into Black Thunder. But getting US-16 into SD would be nice. Otherwise, we only get I-90 connecting Wyoming to SD.

US-18 is possible only if we get US-85. US-212 in Northeast Wyoming isn't a factor to connect Wyoming to SD. So to make SD valid with Wyoming, US-16 has to be in the equation.
VTXcnME

#5752 Post by VTXcnME » 27 Sep 2021 17:07

flight50 wrote: 26 Sep 2021 19:54 Texas won't have the same nature beauty as Wyoming nor Montana. Texas is a mix of everything we've seen so far just diluted and much more real estate to do it in. Think of Texas as transition territory going from a mountainous and desert West to a green and wooded East. In between, various levels of prairie grasses.

What Wyoming does is give us a nice taste of the Northern Great Plains which is quite different than the Southern Great Plains and the Eastern states if the Great Plains. Wyoming tranistions from Rocky Mountains to rolling hills and smaller mountains. ATS's terrain diversity will be more appreciative once SCS closes in on the Northeast. We are many years from that close in so til then.
Agree that Texas is different. My post was intended as to the digital representation of Wyoming, and how well they'd captured the general feel of the state. I think SCS knocked it out the park on Wyoming... if that same quality and attention to detail carries over to Texas.... with it's varied beauty: we're all in for a treat.
flight50

#5753 Post by flight50 » 27 Sep 2021 18:00

Gotcha. Yes the more and more I discover each weekend in Wyoming, the more and more I'm impressed. Makes Montana that much more anticipated and necessary. I think the good parts in Texas remotely close to Wyoming will be good. West Texas we do get some mountains. But they aren't green. It'll be Utah-ish. The quality will definitely carry over from Wyoming to Texas. I don't think Texas will take us backwards at all.

At first, I'm sure a lot of people was thinking, how can Wyoming follow up with Colorado. Not an issue. Wyoming holds up very well. Much better than I was expecting. In general, the newest dlc is better than the last. Not always but the general population would say this. I can't find much wrong with Wyoming so far. Very polished and well done. Not perfect (has a miss or two) but worth the price tag.
oldmanclippy

#5754 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Sep 2021 19:15

US-85 we 10000% need in North Dakota so I agree it's gotta start somewhere. If SCS decides they hate money and want to skip the Black Hills, then US-18 from US-85 to Maverick Junction and then SD-79 up to Rapid City would be the main option. It's really the only way to get around the Black Hills to the east. But I put the odds of that at almost 0%.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#5755 Post by flight50 » 27 Sep 2021 20:55

Avoiding the Black Hills won't be wise. Just like Yellowstone is the face of Wyoming, Mt. Rushmore is the face of South Dakota. SCS needs to get that in the game. Its not always about trucking for everyone. The tourist factor needs to continue in ATS to help sale the game and appeal to other audiences. US-385 brings SD-244. Connect it to US-16A North back to US-16. Rushmore is no different than Devil's Tower. Between a gas station, rest stop, Tidbit/Eddy's, we should be able to see Mt. Rushmore with a cause. For those that don't want to see it or don't think its valid, don't take the road.

For those members that play ATS to site see, run by Mt. Rushmore and take a pic. The Black Hills is right up SCS's alley for landscaping. Its pretty much the only high profile area SD will have. Wyoming at least has YS, the Tetons and Devil's Tower. So yes, US-85 makes the future more valid. Its now or when SD comes, US-85 would be nice.
Vinnie Terranova

#5756 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 27 Sep 2021 22:01

I think US-16A is way too close to US-385... Heck, the southwest of South Dakota is the most interesting part of the state. I wonder how the road layout will look like, and also what towns (marked / unmarked) there will be. But why should we get US-385 in SD while we didn't got US-85 in WY? Hmmm, maybe SCS is planning ahead and they decided that US-85 is too close to US-385. WY can miss US-85, but SD needs some nice roads, like US-385, to make SD interesting enough.
ads678

#5757 Post by ads678 » 27 Sep 2021 22:13

I don't think we'll ever get US-85 in Wyoming. US-385 in South Dakota is the most logical choice, here you can see what it might look like.
VTXcnME

#5758 Post by VTXcnME » 27 Sep 2021 22:14

@flight50

I'm not at home on my gaming computer right now, but the loop up around the northern part of the state, from Jackson to Sheridan (I wanna say routes 14/20/26), WHOOO-EEEEE. That was some of the best design work SCS has done (IMO) . Lots of small details that all add up to a fantastic drive through the countryside. I really wish they'd run US-14 through Cody and across that way, but what they accomplished was still impressive.
oldmanclippy

#5759 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Sep 2021 22:22

@flight50 Well that's why I think the odds are almost 0%. Without going through the Black Hills, SD has nothing to offer the tourist-minded crowd (of which I can't say I'm not entirely a part of :) ) outside of getting distant glimpses of the Badlands from I-90. Sure the I-90 bridge over the Missouri River was breathtaking for a younger oldmanclippy whose previous biggest elevation change was the drive into Duluth, but as I finally revisited it in August it wasn't nearly as cool as I remembered. Scenic and beautiful but not life changing enough to be a significant point of advertisement for a truck simulator DLC. Sturgis I guess? The point is that outside the Black Hills, South Dakota is a pretty boring state. I enjoy driving through it because I'm very easy to please, but I imagine the general public will only be excited for South Dakota because of the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore, with the Badlands as a minor bonus.

Well actually I think SD-44 between Rapid City and US-83 is probably fair game for trucks. I'd have to do more research but it looks like we might be able to get through the Badlands that way. I personally think ND's badlands in Theodore Roosevelt National Park are more interesting than Badlands National Park in SD, but the former are easily accessible via a truck stop on I-94 (Painted Canyon Visitor's Center), whereas the latter is mostly pretty far from I-90. Ideally we get up close and personal with both sites.

TL;DR: the Black Hills need to come in some significant capacity. Whether that's just US-16, US-85, US-385 all the way through, or some combination thereof, we need to be able to truck through it and get to Mt. Rushmore so they can put it on the DLC cover. US-16 hits all the most famous beats (Custer, Crazy Horse, Hill City, Keystone, Mt. Rushmore). This is why getting to Newcastle is so important. Get us routes into the Black Hills from every direction.

South Dakota in ATS should end and begin with Rapid City, the Black Hills, and the Badlands. Sioux Falls is the biggest city but there's nothing there.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
GT182

#5760 Post by GT182 » 28 Sep 2021 01:29

As for Texas, most don't understand that it's over 900 miles across the State from I-10 at the LA State line, or I-20 back to I-10 and up to El Paso to the New Mexico State line. It's the longest most boring ride I've ever taken going across the Continental USA once you leave San Antonio or Ft. Worth. Don't get me wrong, I love Texas, just not it's Interstates east and west. Now on the other hand I-35 coming out of Oklahoma heading to the Dallas/Fort Worth area is freaky. You can see Dallas/Fort Worth when you're heading south from Ardmore until you come off the plateau at Denton for the 35 split for the E or W side below Denton. But it's still a couple of hours before you finally get to either Dallas or Ft. Worth.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

Return to “General discussion about the game”