Wyoming Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#2461 Post by Tristman » 19 Jun 2021 14:58

I don't think finding the locations of the pictures will be hard, since SCS already names all the locations, but here are some anyway:
- 3, 4 and 5 are US-26 next to Palisades Reservoir between Idaho Falls and Alpine (already in-game)
- 6 is US-20 south of Thermopolis
- 7, 8 and 9 are Flaming Gorge Dam on US-191 (already in-game)
- 10 looks like Bear Lake Marina on US-89
- 11 is probably also Bear Lake, but looks like the south end? So I'd say UT-30
- 12 is Wind River Lake, just off US-26 / US-287

I'm not sure about 1 and 2.
fra_ba

#2462 Post by fra_ba » 19 Jun 2021 15:15

-2 is probably around Glendo reservoir, a combination of this and this view.
Xaagon

#2463 Post by Xaagon » 19 Jun 2021 15:16

The secret is out! Wyoming is not all barren wasteland.

These photos look awesome. I'm looking forward to driving past these lakes.
Bedavd

#2464 Post by Bedavd » 19 Jun 2021 16:08

Wyoming: Water Bodies blog photo locations!

Pic 1: Town across the lake looks like it might be distinctive. Upon a closer look, it’s not an overpass but one of those long Wyoming gantries. So this town might be nowhere near a highway. If anyone spots it let me know and I'll add it once I'm back!
Pic 2: I-25 near the Glendo Reservoir, here.
Pic 3: We've had this same photo before from another Blog, along US 26 looking at the Palisades Reservoir near Alpine, WY, here.
Pic 4: US 26 passing by the Palisades Dam, here.
Pic 5: US 26 peering across the Palisades Reservoir, here.
Pic 6: is US 20 at the south exit of Wind River Canyon, looking at the Boysen Dam, here. The train line and access road is just hidden by the hillside, but the concrete tunnel can be seen in this shot.
Pic 7: US 191 looking at the Flaming Gorge Dam, here.
Pic 8: US 191 on top of the Flaming Gorge Dam, here.
Pic 9: Parking lot off of US 191 on the south side of the Flaming Gorge Dam, here.
Pic 10: Marina Rentals along US 89 north of Garden City, UT, here.
Pic 11: UT 30 at the south end of Bear Lake, looking toward the lake town of Laketown, UT, here. Looks like I was wrong about UT 30 and WYO 89 being in the game! I would call both of those roads confirmed now.
Pic 12: is Brooks Lake Rd, along Wind River Lake off of US 26, here. Credit to @Tristam-94.
Last edited by Bedavd on 19 Jun 2021 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Tristman

#2465 Post by Tristman » 19 Jun 2021 16:27

I looked around a bit for photo 1, I thought it would be Shoshoni at first, but couldn't find a match.
The other town I found that comes close is Guernsey (which would be exciting since people think Torrington is in the game), but I don't think that's the place either.
rbsanford

#2466 Post by rbsanford » 19 Jun 2021 16:38

Pic 1 looks like US 26 crossing the Boysen Reservoir, with that town being Shoshoni. Because of the scale, the causeway has been pushed north so it's much closer to the Wind River Gorge than IRL.

It's too bad Bear Lake doesn't have its distinct color; the lake IRL has a large amount of suspended limestone deposits, which give it a turquoise color, which gives it its nickname, "Carribean of the Rockies." Now that I'm typing this out, it sounds like I'm yanking everyone's chain, but I'm not kidding (just another one of those oddities of the West that may be hard to believe; when mountain men first told people of a land of bubbling mud, hot rivers, near-boiling springs in technicolor, and massive jets of steam that would burst from the ground every so often, they were thought to be either joking or insane). It's a pretty obscure oddity though, so I don't think its absence is that big a deal.

Flaming Gorge Dam and Wind River Lake look absolutely amazing, by the way! I can't wait to take several dozen screenshots. ;)
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#2467 Post by flight50 » 19 Jun 2021 16:43

I totally agree @Xaagon. They have managed to pull off a pretty good looking Wyoming thus far from looking at blogs. We are seeing a lot of good things. I hope there are some boring things as well to show that part of Wyoming. I understand not taking screen shots of them though but boring is necessary in Wyoming. I think there is enough good to be worth the buy.........but then again, all map dlcs are worth the purchase to me. I see Wyoming and some other future dlc's that are not so popular states just like I see New Mexico. It was ATS's first paid dlc and I like many others, expected a boring dlc with NM. Nope...not at all. SCS pulled out the best parts and made something of the dlc to be worth the purchase. Wyoming will be the same but guess what..........they map even better now. So the quality has increased and the detail level is better. The rock formation tool is paying off big time and the ATS scenes look great. We need to enjoy this while we can because the GP's are coming, lol. We get Wyoming, Western Texas and Western Montana and our terrains pretty much changes. There will be spotty places for rock formations so they won't completely go away but they will be minimized for sure.

I look at all the backgrounds in today's blog and some are simple. But that simple looks 10x better than the base map backgrounds. There is now depth in the mountains and I love this. You can tell its a 3d mountain versus a flat 2d looking surface with average texture. The texturing is much better now and that adds to the depth. I can't wait to see the non paid states get this upgrade for the backgrounds. The foregrounds aren't too terrible for me for the base map when it comes to detailing but the backgrounds is what makes the scene for me. When I see blog pics, my eye goes to the background. How far in the scene does my eye take me. That is what I see when I am trucking at road level versus bird's eye view.

Hmm. Pic 2 is interesting. I counted 11 cars on the train behind the locomotive. The max was 9-10 iirc. Its been said that DX12 is in the works. I wonder if that upgrade would allow better performance and SCS takes that jump for longer trains then. There are mods that have longer trains along with multiple locomotives. So its not a question as to if it can be done, its more like, can we have it please. Longer trains in the vanilla game would be a lot more immersive. Especially with the train industry coming with Wyoming. Trains are part of the transportation system too and it would be nice to see more cars and even the missing car types. I'm looking forward to train depots now. The cargo that goes in an out of them should increase as new industries come to ATS. Not much can't get hauled by trains. Its much cheaper than trucks. I'd just like to get some loads that are more train dominant into ATS. Coal is a big one. The mass majority of coal is hauled via trains but we can haul some of that to certain depots as well. So whether we get it from the coal mines or train depots, I'll be happy. Woodchips, scrap metal, mulch, soil, grains, sand and gravel....those are others I'd love to use dumpers in and out of trainyards. Based on the June 4th Texas blog, we now get glass plants coming to ATS. That will be cool. Could recycled glass be a load? Could a recycling plant come to ATS some day? We'd have glass, paper and metal cargoes that can kick in. We will have all 3 at some point. That also gives more use to dumpers and train depots.

@rbsanford Well we can always make a bug report for Bear Lake I suppose. Asking doesn't hurt. Color correction could be a bug if you ask me. But by mentioning it now, someone could change it from now until release of the dlc.
Bedavd

#2468 Post by Bedavd » 19 Jun 2021 16:45

Shoshoni looks like the best bet so far. It’s got the gantry and the signs seem to be right. There’s no giant truck stop sign in the town though which is throwing me. There’s an itty little Exxon station, but nothing big enough to warrant a sign that big…

Of course this could just be the mappers taking creative license to the town
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Marcello Julio

#2469 Post by Marcello Julio » 19 Jun 2021 16:50

Man, it's incredible how the representation of each road in the game is perfect! :D Photo 7 which is of the dam for me is the most beautiful! :)
Shiva

#2470 Post by Shiva » 19 Jun 2021 17:00

I have tried searching too and.. I can not get a nice match.
But rbsanford's Shoshoni is the closest match. Especially for the causeway.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”