Wyoming Discussion Thread

Xaagon

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#131 Post by Xaagon » 16 Sep 2020 02:18

If Laramie gets cheated west, that would increase the likelihood of US-287 getting included. US-287 doesn't actually connect to I-25 directly, but is the main north-south street in Fort Collins, CO as well as turning into a major north-south street in Laramie as well.
flight50

#132 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 02:49

True. I forgot about that part. Its CO-14 that I should have said. If we do get US-287 I see it picking up at CO-14, excluded thru the bulk of the citiy parts an pick up US-287 @I-70 and then down to Texas.
Xaagon

#133 Post by Xaagon » 16 Sep 2020 03:19

I hope we get all of US-287 in Wyoming. If it was missing from Rawlins to US-26 there's going to be a big hole in the center of the map. It would also make sense that we get WY-487 south of Casper to the US-30 loop north of I-80. There's not much in that area so there should be room to include it all.

US-287 from Laramie to Fort Collins would make a good detour route for any random events on I-25 between Cheyenne and Fort Collins. If they wanted to continue US-287 straight down into Denver it's an excellent bypass to I-25 and makes a good access road to any companies that SCS could be putting in the area.
flight50

#134 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 04:32

From Denver to Ft. Collins, I see I-15 going solo. But I can agree on the need for US-287 and US-85 to parallel it for detour purposes or just extra roads in general. I see all this the same way I see I-15 in Utah in which US-6 nor US-89 paralleled it. So I think SCS cuts corners here too. Unless they put more people into Colorado, its probably just I-25 or possible one or the other for those flanking US roads. I think Greeley has to be a lock in city so US-85 off of I-76 is promising. We do have Vista Powers and we should definitely get the Vesta Blades factory off of US-85 and not just the one in Pueblo. There is tons of juicy stuff in Brighton that fits the scheme of ATS as well as most of US-85.
The_Red_Remix

#135 Post by The_Red_Remix » 16 Sep 2020 10:41

I don't see the US-85 being included as the I-25 would be too close to it and they don't tend to do roads which are that close together. I feel that the US-287 has a higher chance to be included as it is further away from the I-25. I don't think SCS will include all 3 roads as it would make that portion of the map look cluttered but I might be wrong.
flight50

#136 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 14:35

Parallel roads can actually exist easily. US-85 and US-287 can fit if SCS wanted them to and I will tell you why. Go to any city in ATS and zoom into the city. Obviously the more you zoom the larger the city. Its a grid........city blocks correct. We have 3-4 blocks worth of driveable streets. Now zoom out. Remove all the inner streets to that city and look at the two outer roads. Those two outer roads are parallel correct? Yes. The same thing can happen with any major road. Without mountains or huge models in between two said roads, its totally possible to do. There is wayyyy more distance from I-25 to both US-85 and US-287 than any city block will every be. SCS uses what's called cutplanes to cut off things to not see beyond. You may not know about this but that is what SCS and map modders do when roads are close to one another but they really want to get it in. Its nothing new and has been happening since day one.

Look around the entire map. Roads are already close together. Its just a matter of......will they do them or not. US-85 to some degree has to get in because of the Vista Power plant whether we like it or not. The wind factories are in Pueblo and Brighton and Brighton is right off US-85. Not only that but Brighton is between both I-25 and I-76, the devs will have to figure it out. Brigthon doesn't have to be mapped but we need that Vista Plant because it does everything else that the Pueblo plant doesn't do. Pueblo only does the towers.

Not to mention to get the meat industry, Greeley is also of US-85. Once you go North from Brighton, the distance of US-85, I-25 and I-76 widen out significantly as US-85 runs right up the alley.
The_Red_Remix

#137 Post by The_Red_Remix » 16 Sep 2020 14:43

Thank you for telling me about cutplanes (I don't look at the more technical side of the game) but I still beleve to some extent that SCS will choose to not do the US-85 all the way to Cheyenne due to the I-25 being nearby but we might get it to the powerplant. While I understand that ATS needs parrallel roads to make detours more manigable SCS doesn't seem to include them, most likely they take up time which SCS could spend mapping other roads, which is why I voiced my doubt.
flight50

#138 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 15:09

Ohhh no, I agree on that part. I never said US-85 goes to Cheyenne. That's a lot of mapping I am sure they won't do in any part of the game for the most part. When they do parallel roads, it would have to be in the bulk of a city/town. I am only speaking parallel between Greeley and Denver. That's why I was saying US-85 to some degree.

For example, since this is actually the Wyoming thread, lets take the example of Laramie I used. I-80 and I-80 business. Maybe I-80 and US-30. We could get WY-487 to get to Casper from I-80 without having to go all the way to I-25. US-189 and US-191 is another good set of parallel roads. 2 major roads that come from major parts of the map. US-287 and US-26 heading into/out of Yellowstone are good parallel. The distance increases a lot but the little triangle of US-26, Riverton and US-287 is tight but there is a ton of space out there because nothing else is around. Then we get a little of I-90 and US-14 in a couple of spots.

Wyoming is pretty spread out so not a ton of great parallel examples like a busier state with more of road system. Once SCS gets to Texas, you will see what I mean. SCS will have to do lots of parallel roads and do cutplanes because Texas has a lot of major roads for Trucking. If you play the with map mods, I'd recommend Sierra Nevada. You will noticed how curvy and how close those roads are. That is only achieved with doing tons of cutplanes. That is why when you turn your head a certain way may see mountains and things pop in an out. That is due to distance and/or cutplanes having to work together to create the scene.
The_Red_Remix

#139 Post by The_Red_Remix » 16 Sep 2020 18:47

That was my bad for not phrasing it correctly first time round. I understand them doing it in citys and nearby.

I would love the inclusion of the US-26, US-789 and US-287 triangle around Riverton. While I can understand why SCS would choose to not include it, it would make traveling from Rawlins to Jackson much more smooth (if both of them are included).
flight50

#140 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2020 22:59

WY-789 might be a bit tight of a squeeze so yeah if that has to get kicked out, we are still good. Going US-287 to US-26 won't be an issue. Riverton and Lander can be spaced out enough with those cutplane and both can be scenic towns or even mapped towns. Both have 2-3 depots that can come. At the least, map Riverton though. WY-789 is only 25 miles between the two. That's pushing it. Not completely impossible but its a bit too close for comfort perhaps. I think we need more than just Casper in the middle of the state to be mapped and Riverton is a good one.

I really like the spacing in these mountain states. It make you feel like you have a lot of space yet you get some very nice scenery on you drive.

Return to “General discussion about the game”