Texas Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1341 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Jun 2021 14:22

@MT269 I was thinking the same about South Africa as well. It's 75% larger than Texas but a lower road density so it could be done in one go as the base map for a hypothetical African Truck Simulator. I'd recommend watching the series "Aerial Africa", which gives you a good idea of the insane geographical diversity there is in southern Africa.

South Australia, being ~50% larger than Texas with an even lower road density would also be much easier to map. And with only one big city compared to the six in Texas. Definitely more comparable to a Montana workload than a Texas one I think.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
MT269

#1342 Post by MT269 » 22 Jun 2021 15:49

One can only dream re South Australia being in a truck sim.

I doubt SCS want to endure the burden of having a third simulator in development. Also, Australia would be their last pick, due to it's isolation, and distance from their headquarters.

Travel is also a factor to consider. And I can't see SCS being granted an exemption to enter, just for research purposes. They would have to do the research remotely, assuming they haven't already done some.
Marcello Julio

#1343 Post by Marcello Julio » 22 Jun 2021 16:18

I don't think it will be impossible to make a Truck Simulator on Australia and New Zealand. I think it would be perfect, because to this day we have never seen any simulator game that did a full representation of Australia and New Zealand. With good research and community support for the research, it wouldn't be hard. They already do this with ATS and ETS2 and manage to harvest enough material to create things. It's my dream that SCS make a Truck Simulator game that represents these two countries.
flight50

#1344 Post by flight50 » 22 Jun 2021 17:32

I've always mentioned that if or when ETS2 finishes, Austrailia would be my guess to start. What do you do with the entire ETS2 teams? Some could get reassigned to ATS, add roads/maintenance to ETS2 maps, expand into North Africa/Russia, rebuild the old parts for everything and/or start a new project. The sky is the limit. They are years away from such decision though. It just depends on references. If they can't get good reference material to expand ETS2, they are limited there. Google support isn't everywhere.
Vinnie Terranova

#1345 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 22 Jun 2021 17:35

ATS + ETS2 + AUTS = World Truck Simulator: just merge ATS and ETS2 into one big game. After that add Australia + New Zealand (+ South America + Africa + Asia + Antarctica).
korpiklaani728

#1346 Post by korpiklaani728 » 23 Jun 2021 08:04

for Flight 50 ---- I'm from Europe, but I know Texas is the largest mainland state in the United States. The new DLC Iberia-Portugal and Spain with an area of the Iberian Peninsula of about 582,860 km2 and 49 small and large cities is the largest DLC ETS 2 so far. Texas has an area of 696,241 km2 so I think the Texas DLC in ATS will have the same number of cities and small cities around 50 places and a few just scenic just for driving. SCS do a great job and I also think their choice of cities is good, but it's hard to satisfy the wishes of the players, I'm very happy with this game. I come from a small country, so I know how difficult it is to choose the right and at the same time attractive cities. Excuse my bad English
hangman005

#1347 Post by hangman005 » 23 Jun 2021 12:41

Not to get to far afield in this Texas thread.

But it'd be interesting how an NZ/AUS sim would work. In terms of Marked Cities, especially for NZ.
North Island
Kaitaia, Whangarei, Auckland Hamilton, Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo Gisborne, New Plymouth, Wanganui, Palmerston North, Napier (Do you also have Hastings) and I imagine you combine Porirua City, Wellington City, Upper Hutt and Lower Hutt into one Wellington marked city.

South Island,
Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill and probably Greymouth Timaru, Oamaru, Blenheim, probably Queenstown too.

Thinking in terms of What I know, it actually makes quite interesting to how you pick and choose cities, what can be included and what can be left out. You'd almost want the Mine at Waihi in, and the Mine and power station at Huntly, neither are big enough to warrant being marked on their own... Huntly could probably slip in under Hamiltons Umbrella, but Waihi is probably to far to do the same with Tauranga.

Without the locals of knowledge of Texas to me it's just gonna be "oooh Cities" for the most part, but it's interesting to read what the locals think would work, how you'd fudge things to see them included. Even with my thoughts on NZ above, there were factors about what type of industries you'd have and then there is the whole is it going to work on 1:20 scale.
flight50

#1348 Post by flight50 » 23 Jun 2021 12:59

@korpiklaani728 Welcome to the forum my friend. I hope you stick around to play both games for years to come and chat with us. Your English is fine. Its all understood so no worries.

Now your comparison. Yes Texas is huge. Its larger than Iberia. Butttttt, one huge difference......density. The population and city density in Europe is much much denser than the US overall. The Iberia dlc got 49 cities, but that doesn't mean Texas will. Texas is better off in the 25-35 city range as far a marked cities goes. I'm sure there will be plenty of scenic though. All of Texas is not heavily populated like Iberia. Once you get outside the Texas Triangle, the population is much less. Majority of the state lives in the highlighted area below (the Texas Triangle). Although you are welcome to your opinion for 49 cities for Texas, I just don't want you to be disappointed. The US is just setup differently.

Texas has 6 of the largest cities in the top 25. 5 of those are in the Texas Triangle. Then you have all the midsize to smaller cities outside of the Triangle. The Texas population is just smaller for sure. The Iberia population is closer to twice as many people than Texas. 29 million<53 million.

[ external image ]
Shiva

#1349 Post by Shiva » 23 Jun 2021 13:41

Iberian Peninsula has more than a few of the cities at the coast too, giving more space for cities, compared to Texas.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#1350 Post by flight50 » 23 Jun 2021 16:36

That's a good point Shiva. Texas is wayyy more land locked. There just aren't enough coastal cities in Texas to compare. There is only Brownville, Corpus Christi, Victoria, Houston/Galveston and Beaumont/Port Arthur. But between those, I think SCS will do the Texas coast justice. Just don't expect Iberia out of it because its totally different. I haven't visited all the coastal cities in Iberia to compare yet to know how the industries work there. But for ATS, the Gulf will be a tad different compared to what we got in Oregon and Washington. Hopefully California rebuild does it justice to add flavor to the West coast. But Texas will be the latest and greatest coastal area so newer stuff should arrive. Texas's coast could be more export driven. At least I hope. The oil industry along with other goodies that the devs can come up with.

Return to “General discussion about the game”