Texas Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1711 Post by Shiva » 28 Sep 2021 18:26

I still think that Texas could have been a secondary base map, if that is technically possible.
If there somedays pops up a dlc_ca.scs or dlc_california.scs , then it could mean that SCS can do it.
Right now, California files are in the base.scs .

flight50, I sort of expect to see more than a few more industries for Texas DLC.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Tristman

#1712 Post by Tristman » 28 Sep 2021 18:41

I could see Texas as base map, sure. But SCS needs to have California, Nevada and Arizona at a purchaseable DLC level by then.
Assuming you start with only Texas at least.
Shiva

#1713 Post by Shiva » 28 Sep 2021 18:51

Tristam-94, my idea/theory, would be that 1 could choose, if having the old area or new, as the starting point.
Both Nevada and Arizona are in their own dlc.scs files.

But there might be way more than I have thought of, that might be why Texas as 2ndary base map might not be doable?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
flight50

#1714 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2021 20:19

The issue would be that only one base map is allowed. If Texas took over, what do you now with California, Nevada and Arizona. They can't charge for it. Newcomers would be okay but now the base map needs to be 100% reworked if they are going to make people pay dlc prices. Leave it as is and they only have to reskin portions of the current base map. Seasoned players, will our files get messed up?

At this point, I wouldn't bother. The game is too established to burn time mixing things up now. Do it for ATS and you have to make an option for ETS2.
oldmanclippy

#1715 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 21:20

@flight50 I agree it's too established to change this now, but it's not impossible I don't think. Halo The Master Chief Collection allows you to buy any one of the games as the "base game", all of them, or just some of them. The first one you buy gives you access to the core files. So with ATS, they could change things so that you could buy any DLC and that could be the base map. But I'm certain that would be wayyyyy more work than it's worth (since a lot of assets for the DLCs are just dumped into base anyways), plus it would disincentivize people from buying every DLC in order to progress west to east if they could just buy say Texas + surrounding states. Perhaps that would be more consumer friendly but I think it's unnecessary and SCS doesn't need to give people more of a reason to skip states.

The base map is so cheap on sales that you can basically build your own "base map". In 5 years, someone who is new to the game but only interested in the southeast for example could plop $5 on the base game, then only purchase Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, etc and that's it. Heck even now we're getting to the point where someone who is only interested in the northwest could just buy the base game + WA + OR + ID + MT + WY. I think we'll start to see more and more regional fans appear as the game gets bigger because it will become more feasible to only own a certain region because there are more states available to make up a region apart from the base map.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Tristman

#1716 Post by Tristman » 28 Sep 2021 22:00

Shiva wrote: 28 Sep 2021 18:51 Tristam-94, my idea/theory, would be that 1 could choose, if having the old area or new, as the starting point.
Both Nevada and Arizona are in their own dlc.scs files.

But there might be way more than I have thought of, that might be why Texas as 2ndary base map might not be doable?
I understand you could choose between the two, but it does raise the question regarding price.

If you choose Texas as your base map, that makes CA, NV and AZ purchaseable DLC. To be fair to customers, they would need to cost the same as the Texas DLC for people who start in the current base map. The problem is that in their current state, they are nowhere near the level of quality that we are expecting from Texas. So you can’t ask a high price for them, but you also can’t ask a very low price for Texas.

If they ever would consider letting people choose their base map, I think it would be a very long-term addition. As in, “we are currently waiting for the next East Coast state” long-term.
flight50

#1717 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2021 22:04

Yeahhh, the base map goes on sale for dirt cheap. Plus its getting upgrade for free. Look at the base map as a bonus. If someone only wanted the entire Northwest, just buy the base map and all the Northwest states when they come. If you want, garage hop to the base map. If someone wanted the Carolina's, Georgia and Florida...just buy the base map and then those 3 states and get the base map as a bonus. Texas should never go on sale for $4.99 even if it is the base map. But the current base map goes on sale a lot for that price. Now once its reskinned, no telling what the price would be.

I don't see SCS spending resources to worry about multiple base maps at this time. Its not heavy in demand on only 1-2 people mentioned it on here. Not enough to get SCS moving on it at this time. I get it though. Texas is more centralized, huge and will be of quality. So it makes sense. But more factors go into that. For one, SCS may not be setup like another game. We can only go buy how SCS's system works.
Shiva

#1718 Post by Shiva » 28 Sep 2021 23:21

Tbh, I thought I was the only one, mentioning Texas or Texas + Oklahoma, as possible secondary base maps :)

Regarding California. Currently all California files are in the base.scs
While NV and AZ have their own dlc.scs files.

Do I smell a Texas blog post this week, or is my nose a bit clogged?
oldmanclippy

#1719 Post by oldmanclippy » 28 Sep 2021 23:24

@Shiva The first Colorado blog post-Idaho was 12 days after release. That's the only data I have for you :) I'd say we should be getting one within the next two weeks but it's anyone's guess.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Brendan0620

#1720 Post by Brendan0620 » 28 Sep 2021 23:39

Shiva wrote: 28 Sep 2021 18:26 flight50, I sort of expect to see more than a few more industries for Texas DLC.
I expect to see and hear about some more industries talked about one day, other than just Oil and Glass. One industry I want to see, at least expanded at the least, is the Car Industry. in Texas, Toyota and General Motors manufacture some of their larger vehicles there, such as the Toyota Tundra and the Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban, my mother drives a Chevrolet Tahoe in real life, and I've driven it too, great vehicle. It would be nice to deliver either Trucks or SUVs from a brand related to either the Toyota or General Motors brand to the Drake Car Dealers or the DeMuro Cars dealers.

As for a blog, I think we are getting closer to getting one soon, maybe within these next 2 weeks. I hope to see at least one before the year ends, or maybe at least 3-4 before the year ends.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?

Return to “General discussion about the game”