Texas Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#2021 Post by flight50 » 12 Nov 2021 23:19

Tristam-94 wrote: 12 Nov 2021 18:59 Having sent a bug report because of missing XXXX barriers before, I have to say it can be a little confusing whether you're supposed to access someplace or not. SCS likes to put hidden roads in the game which are not shown on the GPS. How would you go about finding these if XXXX barriers are replaced with invisible walls instead?

That said, I would like to see an alternative to the XXXX barriers in-game that doesn't break your immersion. Invisible walls would not be a good alternative imo.
I'm sure you are talking about to a road or down a road. What we are talking about is a crossover which is maybe 25'-50' connecting one side of an interstate to the opposite side with is for not for unauthorized use. An invisible wall won't hurt anything there because we should be accessing that crossover anyways. SCS could do XXX there just as they can an invisible wall.
Trakaplex

#2022 Post by Trakaplex » 13 Nov 2021 05:41

So we have a shipping port in Brownsville. Why hasn't San Antonio been confirmed yet, even by a building model? Are there suburbs like New Braunfels? The closest so far tbh is Johnson City...
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
EllieODaire

#2023 Post by EllieODaire » 13 Nov 2021 09:48

Most of those are ranch access roads and they can and are used by trucks serving the ranches, generally cattle haulers, UPS/FedEx, water trucks, or small box trucks. The traffic out there is sparse enough it isn't really an issue, though if mobile homes, wind turbines, or other oversize loads are being brought in they'll generally have police block traffic so they can take the turn nice and easy. There's a couple of those on I-40 in New Mexico, too, plus loads of state divided highways with similar rural intersections.
flight50

#2024 Post by flight50 » 13 Nov 2021 14:35

^Ranch roads...mobile homes, wind turbines...juicy. Sounds like Special Transport type routes to me. A few things I hope Texas can do is add to wind farms. Give us proper tower parts. What we have is wayyy too short. Add the blades and the rotor. Complete the package please. We tend to only get bits and pieces of cargo for an industry and its rarely revisited to add more. You can't build a wind tower without blades nor a rotor. The tower parts just aren't even remotely close to what we should have. Those towers should be at least 1.5 the circumference fo the truck's cab. Those tower parts are not bulky enough at all. I posted pics of how it should all look here to represent a much better wind farm package. Scroll down past the construction section. viewtopic.php?p=1256873#p1256873

For Texas, the road network is massive. They are always building new roads or repairing them. Even the bridge supports should be in ATS to road works depots as Special Transport. But we don't get that either. We need 2 specialized long trailers in ATS. 1) extended flatbed and 2) a pole trailer. The flatbed is already done. Just copy what we have and add extension to it. The pole trailer isn't too complex either. Heck, use chassis from the 3 axle booster from heavy haul, add a flat deck to is, add a pole extension setup and viola. With these two, ATS can easily add long cargo to give people that want more of a challenge, a better bang for their buck. We are getting into longer straighter roads now so at least the challenge can go from mountains, elevations and curves to longer loads on straighter roads to keep the challenge party going. Here are examples I posted last year for long cargo. viewtopic.php?p=1399825#p1399825

Between these two links, there is a solid 12-13 super long loads that could easily be in ATS. That is an easily $4.99 cargo dlc waiting for people to buy. None of these have license issues. On top of that, Texas has some very large things that could be added for industry for Texas. Inland sites for oil/gas and then we have the things along the shoreline at ports. I'd love to haul crane booms and derricks. All they are is metal rods built in a tower. Not difficult to model with talent SCS has. The latest Texas blog shows a lot of potential for huge cargo loads. Some models are already assets. Just strap them to trailers and give us that cargo.

Something else I just thought about with Texas. Considering it has the largest road network in the country, one thing I'd love to finally get are expansion joints. I don't play with the Sierra Nevada map mod anymore but that is one of the subtle things I miss a lot. It brought a lot of immersion to ATS. If SCS could implement this on bridges, I think this would be sweet. SCS just redid force feedback and this would be perfect to get some type of feel of the roads a bit more. We get off roading terrain and we get rail road tracks. But we are missing a key part to concrete constructed roads or transitions.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

There are even segmented sections of concrete sometimes.
[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#2025 Post by supersobes » 13 Nov 2021 17:17

Expansion joints are already in the game. They're just visual props though; they don't cause the truck to bounce, and they don't make a sound when you drive over them.

(On a side note, this one in I-84 in Boise was finally fixed! It was levitating several inches above the road surface before.)

[ external image ]
flight50

#2026 Post by flight50 » 13 Nov 2021 17:34

Its the sound and feel I'm after. The physics behind it which is why I was indicating ffb. But thanks for pointing this out. I never noticed when they added it. I pointed way back when Sierra Nevada was fairly new and to add it. They snuck it in there at some point but it has no physics to make it obvious so it going unnoticed. It needs to be raised or something. Anything to get an interruption on the pavement.
interstate trav

#2027 Post by interstate trav » 13 Nov 2021 22:25

Even if you can’t access the at grade crossings I would have some just to add for the realistic feel.
J.Random

#2028 Post by J.Random » 15 Nov 2021 13:12

supersobes wrote: 13 Nov 2021 17:17They're just visual props though; they don't cause the truck to bounce, and they don't make a sound when you drive over them.
Which is kinda weird, considering both physical and sound effects are already implemented in ETS2 (at least on some bridges, e.g. in Scandinavia).
beto1912

#2029 Post by beto1912 » 15 Nov 2021 14:12

You can really feel the joints in the FFB in the recent Sierra Nevada map. It's really noticeable and can make you lose control of the truck
flight50

#2030 Post by flight50 » 15 Nov 2021 15:53

Yeah Sierra Nevada is why I want it in ATS so bad. Makes a huge difference for immersion. Its pretty pointless to having the joints without any feedback. That is why I never knew they made the game. Its one thing to add it, but its another to add it properly or at the least make it obvious. It doesn't take much either. With Fmod, its easier to get a good sound. If SN can do it, SCS should be able to implement for the entire map.

Return to “General discussion about the game”