Texas Discussion Thread

angrybirdseller

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1561 Post by angrybirdseller » 12 Sep 2021 08:47

Its ~25-30 cities at most and 13,000 in-game miles its not going to be like Iberia or ETS2 setup.
SenseFM

#1562 Post by SenseFM » 12 Sep 2021 15:28

Tristam-94 wrote: 11 Sep 2021 18:26 Iberia of course got a lot of criticism for featuring all the major highways, but not many minor/scenic roads. Should Texas therefore feature just as many cities as Iberia?
It's true that Iberia features many more highways than minor roads, but that's pretty accurate to real life, Spain and Portugal highway networks are very dense even for European standards. IMO Texas DLC should only have a similar problem if it had a similar highway density to Iberia. To illustrate this, I ran a script on a software called QGIS to highlight all Iberian and Texan highways, and this is the result:

[ external image ]

I'm actually surprised at the density of dual carriageways in Texas at places, but in general I find that there's more space than Iberia for minor roads, so I wouldn't be worried for that.

Concerning cities, I don't really know if Texas should have a similar quantity to Iberia or not. Iberia is smaller than Texas and features 49 cities, but it's also two times denser. Then again, there's also the urban highway distribution - in the USA highways usually go through downtowns, while in Europe motorways avoid city centers. Both systems affect the way in how big cities are represented in the games.

BTW, Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth highway networks look huge even at 1:1,000,000 scale, looking forward to how will they look in the DLC!
55sixxx

#1563 Post by 55sixxx » 12 Sep 2021 17:28

El Paso, Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Galveston, San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Laredo, Waco, Beaumont, Abilene, Longview, Wichita Falls, Texarkana, Odessa and Midland are mandatory for this DLC.

Beaumont could be the furthest eastern point of I-10, and Longview the furthest eastern point of I-20 (Which will become a major highway in ATS until it reach its end at the east coast).
supersobes
Global moderator

#1564 Post by supersobes » 12 Sep 2021 19:03

I hope Beaumont isn't the easternmost point on I-10 in ATS. I-10 really needs to go to the last exit before the state line, exit 880. That's the highest exit number in the US, so it's an iconic piece of US highway infrastructure. That's not something that should be missing from Texas. It's an easy thing for SCS to add too. Exit 880 is simply a ramp to allow eastbound traffic to make a U-turn to access to the Travel Information Center on the westbound side of the highway.
Some newbie driver

#1565 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Sep 2021 19:12

@supersobes then better start to smash SCS researchers with that info so they didn't missed it. Wyoming needed almost 4 times more pages on its thread in this forums but they achieved Yellowstone. I expect that ramp should not require so much effort, but some for sure. :P
supersobes
Global moderator

#1566 Post by supersobes » 12 Sep 2021 19:19

SCS should be well acquainted with exit 880 at this point. It's been talked about many times on here already. It has been mentioned in the research section already too.
Some newbie driver

#1567 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Sep 2021 19:26

I could had said the same about Pyrenees and here we are. ;)

Now that they had opened that can with Yellowstone tough... :P
flight50

#1568 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2021 19:51

Exit 880 can always come with Louisiana. There's no a real need to get that exit with Texas without somewhere to deliver to. There will be plenty other rest stops.

Not to mention SCS always leaves out Southeastern portions of every dlc to save for the adjacent state. So I wouldn't hold by breathe. I agree with 55sixx though. We will need Lake Clarles in Louisiana so not a ton a space to do much East of Beaumont. In due time. That exit can come later.
Sora

#1569 Post by Sora » 13 Sep 2021 06:47

IvanKuz wrote: 11 Sep 2021 19:37 Not really, ETS2 still has remote industries marked as the nearest city despite sometimes being 2 hours of driving away from them. ATS has some example of the opposite too (Hilt, Grand Canyon Village).
Hilt (or rather its predecessor) and GCV are both very old.

The number of cities with 0-2 depots following AZ is incredibly small, and pretty much nonexistent after WA - even in cases where having "small" cities would make perfect sense, like in UT, ID, and WY.

This, more precisely, is the difference: ETS2 will sometimes give isolated depots their own city, even to this day. Not always, but often enough to make an impact on the final "city count". The only paid DLC that does anything like this in ATS is Washington, and even there it's mostly to sell the idea of density in a state that is fairly small by area (compared to other states in ATS).

To put it another way: if brought into ATS: about 2/3 of the "microcities" would be cut, but the remainder would have like 4-6 depots and a truck stop.
Shiva

#1570 Post by Shiva » 13 Sep 2021 07:43

supersobes wrote: 12 Sep 2021 19:03 I hope Beaumont isn't the easternmost point on I-10 in ATS. I-10 really needs to go to the last exit before the state line, exit 880. That's the highest exit number in the US, so it's an iconic piece of US highway infrastructure. That's not something that should be missing from Texas. It's an easy thing for SCS to add too. Exit 880 is simply a ramp to allow eastbound traffic to make a U-turn to access to the Travel Information Center on the westbound side of the highway.
flight50 wrote: 12 Sep 2021 19:51 Exit 880 can always come with Louisiana. There's no a real need to get that exit with Texas without somewhere to deliver to. There will be plenty other rest stops.

Not to mention SCS always leaves out Southeastern portions of every dlc to save for the adjacent state. So I wouldn't hold by breathe. I agree with 55sixx though. We will need Lake Clarles in Louisiana so not a ton a space to do much East of Beaumont. In due time. That exit can come later.
Regarding Exit 880 of I-10.
If SCS skips Orange, Texas, USA, then it might be possible.
And I think Exit 880 and Orange Travel Information Center, would be an Ok eastern endpoint for Texas DLC. Quite close ingame to Beaumont.
For Louisiana, the New! Louisiana Welcome Center, could be the same, with Exit 1.
https://www.crt.state.la.us/tourism/wel ... nton/index
If space for these, that is.
There is more than a few cities along I-10 there.
Houston, Beaumont, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans
That's actually quite similar to the stretch from Evanston to Cheyenne in Wyoming DLC. And with 1 city more, for TX/LA.

For that adjacent state?
Beaumont and Orange, are both in the same map sector. With Lake Charles in the next map sector to east.
Most of Vinton, Louisiana, is in the Beaumont/Orange map sector.

Will be interesting to see how SCS has made those areas.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”