Texas Discussion Thread

Trucker Nik

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#2051 Post by Trucker Nik » 28 Nov 2021 12:05

Today I had a very good song on the radio, so rhythmic and I imagined that I was crossing the border into Texas I felt like a big and proud virtual trucker in a huge state, even though it was just made up but I believe that this day will come soon and I feeling will come back but this time it will be realistic
Double M

#2052 Post by Double M » 30 Nov 2021 16:50

One of the many reasons I'm looking forward to Texas is that it will allow us to travel from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice versa. Plus it's going to add over 800 miles to driving across I-10.
Vinnie Terranova

#2053 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 30 Nov 2021 17:42

I wouldn't call the Gulf of Mexico as Atlantic Ocean, although I might be wrong. When I'm thinking of driving in the US from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast, I think of the west coast between San Diego and, say, Seattle and the coast between, say, Miami, and a little bit northeast of Portland, ME.
flight50

#2054 Post by flight50 » 30 Nov 2021 17:52

I see Texas as the Gulf of Mexico as well. But iirc, I think the Gulf is considered part of the Atlantic technically speaking. I grew up knowing it as the Gulf of Mexico so that's all I take it as.

But the 800+ miles is serious trucking. I wish SCS still provided the road miles on the new dlc's. Texas would indicate a huge jump in roads.
VTXcnME

#2055 Post by VTXcnME » 30 Nov 2021 19:36

if your splitting hairs, technically it's part of the Atlantic. Though I don't know a single person who refers to it as such. Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean Sea.

In order to hit the Altantic proper: They'll need to get Georgia/Carolinas/Virgina etc.

LA/MS/AL are all touching Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean Sea. *Not* what folks who live in the area consider "Atlantic" by any stretch.
Double M

#2056 Post by Double M » 30 Nov 2021 21:08

Thanks for the info.

I am a European and I did not know that the term Gulf of Mexico is used to refer to the coast of Texas and other southern states of the USA.

There's always something new to learn.
CodArk2

#2057 Post by CodArk2 » 30 Nov 2021 21:29

As a US American living in Texas on the gulf coast, NO ONE here sees the Gulf of Mexico as the Atlantic. The Gulf of Mexico has two relatively narrow connections to the Atlantic ( Straits of Florida) and Caribbean (Yucatán Channel). To someone living here, referring to the Gulf of Mexico as part of the Atlantic Ocean would be as confusing to us as referring to the Mediterranean Sea as part of the Atlantic Ocean would be to Europeans, it’s *technically* accurate but most don’t think of it that way.
Bedavd

#2058 Post by Bedavd » 30 Nov 2021 21:46

It's called a "marginal sea". Technically the North Sea, Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, etc are all the Atlantic, too. It's correct but doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#2059 Post by flight50 » 30 Nov 2021 22:07

Double M wrote: 30 Nov 2021 21:08 Thanks for the info.

I am a European and I did not know that the term Gulf of Mexico is used to refer to the coast of Texas and other southern states of the USA.

There's always something new to learn.
No worries my friend. You are technically not wrong but we just don't call it that here. There's always something new to learn tough. One of the best parts on this forum is learning.

Another example is calling Canadians and Mexican Americans. They are North American but the term American when used solo will always refer to the United States. They'll get
Xaagon

#2060 Post by Xaagon » 01 Dec 2021 03:25

flight50 wrote: 30 Nov 2021 22:07 ...the term American when used solo will always refer to the United States.
I think I remember someone from South America taking offense that US residents see themselves as the only "Americans".

It's not that we (US citizens) only use "American" without the North, Central, or South to refer to ourselves because we think we're somehow superior to everyone else in the western hemisphere. It's just that "United Statesians" is a bit awkward to say.

Return to “General discussion about the game”