Texas Discussion Thread

clifflandmark

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1591 Post by clifflandmark » 14 Sep 2021 16:36

I always support more content because it's there irl. No matter if it's a small town, touristic place or border. If trucks are allowed, they should be included. Also, Presidio does not require anything extra. It's just a small town and the road which goes it is the same asset used in New Mexico DLC. It won't take time.
Dirk221

#1592 Post by Dirk221 » 14 Sep 2021 16:41

I hope that in the near future SCS update the draw distance from mountains in New Mexico. Thats the only big problem in New Mexico.

Also New Mexico was for me the State that I felt in love with ATS 😄
Trakaplex

#1593 Post by Trakaplex » 15 Sep 2021 15:42

Dirk221 wrote: 14 Sep 2021 16:41 I hope that in the near future SCS update the draw distance from mountains in New Mexico. Thats the only big problem in New Mexico.

Also New Mexico was for me the State that I felt in love with ATS 😄
Why did you feel in love with New Mexico and not somewhere newer and nicer like Colorado? Because SCS overdid themselves with the whole "alien" aspect? They will also have to renovate certain parts of eastern NM to add extended routes into Texas, moreover like US-64/87 from Raton to Dalhart (via Clayton).
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#1594 Post by flight50 » 15 Sep 2021 15:56

^Depends on when he bought New Mexico. If it was 2017 when it first came out, that was the first paid dlc which was much better quality than the base map. Now if he bought NM after lets say Utah, its perhaps the environment that he really liked that pulled him into ATS.
Tristman

#1595 Post by Tristman » 15 Sep 2021 16:31

For me Utah was the DLC that made me fall in love with the game, simply because it was the first DLC to release after I bought the game.
Sure, newer DLC have higher quality, but Utah to me is still a very good DLC. On the other hand, Oregon, Washington and New Mexico are less special to me, since I bought them at the same time as the base game.
oldmanclippy

#1596 Post by oldmanclippy » 15 Sep 2021 23:32

I started playing ETS2 in between Scandinavia and Vive la France. I was gifted ATS by a friend (just the base map) a couple years later but quickly lost interest due to the low quality. I eventually bought New Mexico to give the game a second chance and as soon as I crossed over into New Mexico on I-40 during a sunset I was hooked. I then bought the rest of the DLC's (up to and including Utah at that point) and gobbled everything ATS up. Idaho was the first ATS DLC that I paid attention to and bought at launch. But New Mexico was the point at which ATS showed that it had the potential to step out of the shadow of its older brother someday. It really was a big step up from Arizona and the base map, and it still holds up pretty darn well today (especially Albuquerque and Las Cruces). Seeing signs for Amarillo and El Paso set my imagination loose and we're finally to the point where the next DLC will allow us to go see the cities those signs pointed to 4 years ago.

Texas I think will be a continuation of that New Mexico magic. Those gorgeous southwest sunsets, wide open spaces, desolate landscapes juxtaposed with bustling cities. I think it will represent a microcosm of the reasons we all fell in love with ATS specifically. So while we keep harping on why Texas will be such a big deal in terms of attracting new players to ATS, I think we can't underestimate its potential to reel back in people who have already fallen in love with the game. Driving US-90 in southwest Texas at sunset with the radio on and the windows down will be exhilarating.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#1597 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2021 03:57

Honestly, I'm hoping Texas is powerful enough to bring people back that gave up on ATS in 2016. Many people expected a 18 WoS size map. It had like what 12 cities on it, lol. Each ATS dlc has that alone. Once you buy 1-2 dlc's which are well beyond the base map quality, that is when you get turned onto ATS. Is ATS perfect...no but it sure is fun. It has a lot of upside and if people gave ATS the same chance they give ETS2 and I mean a serious chance, ATS has mad believers out of a lot of people that had low expectations. ATS will always have people that are bias for their own reasons. But when someone ask why they don't like it, the reason is kinda picky. With the right components, ATS is very likable. If you don't care for American trucks or conventional trucks, use a mod and bring in a COE. If you don't like the terrains....you have issues, lol. There's a lot of diversity and ATS is really just getting started. If you think the map is small...why do you think Pavel is adding multiple map teams. It will grow. Mod support is growing. Truck roster more than doubled since day one. Things are finally happening for ATS yet such a long road ahead.

I always tell people they should own and support both games though because you get the best of both worlds. The playing time spent in one game vs the other is up to you. No one can tell anyone how to play. I don't play much ETS2 but I have everything available outside of paint jobs. Heck I barely even get to play ATS much. So no point in splitting much time when I only get in 4-5 hrs a week if that.

But yeahhh, I'm hoping for a lot to happen with Texas. I can careless its my home state. That's not the point of me wanting it. I still rather have Montana first but hey, I'll take a huge state with potential. I care about the potential. Massive road network, massive amount of land to discover. Potential industries both new and expanded. Tankers should come for those tank lovers and its a huge weight off the shoulders to get East along the Southern corridor. The different regions in Texas has a little something for everyone. The funny thing about Texas is that to drive from end to end, will literally take your whole day. In real life, you can drive for 10+ hrs and still be in Texas, lol. Are we there yet? Texas starts a new region and if there is not a good time to elevate ICCs, then I don't see ATS ever really making that leap forward like Oregon did. Oregon brought 11 new companies when it came. We have not seen anything remotely close to 11 new companies since. Very disappointing. Year in and year out I look forward new dlc's to see what to delivering to new places we get, new industries and seeing what new cargoes the devs come up with. I've been let down the past few years in that department and I've started to loose hope to a degree. But I can't give up. I gotta stay on the devs that "ATS Matters" :D.
Sora

#1598 Post by Sora » 16 Sep 2021 04:21

Honestly, New Mexico is still oddly one of my favorite DLCs. I can't really explain why, since objectively it's worse than most of the subsequent ones in terms of mapping tricks/tools SCS figured out later, but I always end up there during the Christmas events for some reason. I just wish more states connected to it - it took a really long time to get Colorado, and the eastern border has been pretty much untouched for a really long time.

Either way, I fell in love with ATS right after I bought it - the first time I left California and passed through the city of Reno. It might seem kinda crude and clumsy now, but coming to that from the ETS2 map I owned at the time was nothing short of jaw-dropping. For what it's worth, this was after the ATS rescale.
killingjoke28336

#1599 Post by killingjoke28336 » 16 Sep 2021 08:59

New Mexico is still my favourite state. I like loneliness and open spaces. And it feels kind of outlandish.
angrybirdseller

#1600 Post by angrybirdseller » 16 Sep 2021 09:49

New Mexico will get face lifted with newer assets like Utah and Colorado did with Taco Kingdom and Dream Burgers assets along with blue service boards and distance signs. ATS you have ability to recycle newer assets all over the map which is far more different in ETS2.

Return to “General discussion about the game”