Texas Discussion Thread

SmokeyWolf

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1321 Post by SmokeyWolf » 15 Jun 2021 21:45

Actually been to Lockheed in Fort Worth. Darwing would work in its place.
ThePlagueDoctor186

#1322 Post by ThePlagueDoctor186 » 15 Jun 2021 21:55

J.Random wrote: 15 Jun 2021 20:18 Does it mean that there is no chance of us getting airplane boneyards with CA/AZ rework? Pretty sure they're all next to military bases and there is no dedicated civilian-only yards.
Would be nice to see that be put into the game. Also, I think I could hear your picture in form of laughter of the WTF Boom!

I am glad that they are going back in and re-doing all the work so that everything could be brought up to scratch.
Always keep the Greasy/Rubber side down and the shiny side up. Even if what is supposed to be shiny isn't shiny anymore. But still it's always better to stay on top of the wheels none the less!
MT269

#1323 Post by MT269 » 16 Jun 2021 03:27

Are there legal issues with having static unbranded military aircrafts in the game, even at a distance? It would be nice to delivery to an army base or something. It doesn't even have to be listed as a base. Maybe just an industry.

There should be zero chance of being a national security threat. No need for it to be in the correct location, or even the right state. It can be placed in otherwise unused space, like in southern Utah for example. Since this will never see any roads. Regardless of SCS's intentions, it is still a fictional world in a sense.

Hypothetically, the base could just consist of a large industrial shed, and some cars, with a subtle hint like someone in an army uniform roaming around, and maybe a minor visual. I can't see how this is asking for trouble. GTA San Andreas has a base in the game in the north of the map in the centre, and this could be more indicative of a location than an ATS equivalent.
flight50

#1324 Post by flight50 » 16 Jun 2021 05:36

The game is fictional to a degree. The buildings and their locations is part of what makes ATS immersive. They can get away with fake building names but the locations are their identity markers. The street names...identity markers in which we can locate these buildings. The building's shape and color....identity markers. If SCS took a step back from that, it will cause a negative effect at this point. They are better off not faking locations of important buildings they are trying to depict. Fictional depot locations aren't as immersive because we can't relate. I'd rather deliver to a Wallbert that is in the location of a real life Walmart vs delivering to a Wallbert that is 5 miles away and on the wrong side of the road. Hornbrook/Hilt is a prime example. Thankfully the base map thinking days are over and the accuracy and detail level is much much better. Military would be cool I'll admit but its also political and we all know SCS tries to stay way from that.
EthanE40

#1325 Post by EthanE40 » 16 Jun 2021 06:43

I know I've done quite a few list posts for cities, but I don't think I've done one for the cities we may get HQs in.

Almost certain (some not as certain as others):
Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Austin
El Paso
Corpus Christi
Laredo
Lubbock
Amarillo
Brownsville
Tyler
Midland
Del Rio
San Angelo
Wichita Falls
maybe a few smaller cities here and there that I didn't mention

Maybe:
Lufkin
Fort Worth (may not get one due to distance to Dallas, but Fort Worth is still a major city and economic powerhouse of its own)
Abilene
Victoria

Some that will most likely not receive HQs and reasoning for it:
Beaumont (halfway between Houston and Lake Charles, the former is almost certain to get one and the latter is one of the biggest and most important cities in Louisiana)
Longview (too close to Tyler)
Texarkana (may get one with Arkansas but not Texas)
Waco (too close to Dallas and Fort Worth which both may get HQs of their own due to their sheer size and economic power)
Bryan (Houston's already 80 miles away, also Bryan (while a large city) is not a crazy distance away from major economic powerhouses like the previously mentioned Houston as well as Austin)
Odessa (right next to Midland)
McAllen (already got Brownsville nearby)

Thoughts? Concerns?
Last edited by EthanE40 on 17 Jun 2021 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Vinnie Terranova

#1326 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 16 Jun 2021 07:01

I would rather have 1 or 2 HQs in Texas with lots of parking places for my trucks and trailers in a way so that I can see my own trucks and trailers, than having 20+ default HQs in Texas with only 5 parking places without being able to see my own trucks and trailers. In my Vanilla profile I've bought all garages because of me wanting to discover 100% of the map, but I only use one of them to store my two or three trucks. All other garages I only use for quick travel. In my modded profile I've bought about 10 or 15 garages, but those I also only use for quick travel. So in the end I really don't care what cities in Texas will have HQs.
flight50

#1327 Post by flight50 » 16 Jun 2021 12:07

Wichita Falls should have one. Its too remote from DFW, Lubbock, Amarillo and Abilene. Not to mention it starts I-44.
EthanE40

#1328 Post by EthanE40 » 17 Jun 2021 05:25

flight50 wrote: 16 Jun 2021 12:07 Wichita Falls should have one. Its too remote from DFW, Lubbock, Amarillo and Abilene. Not to mention it starts I-44.
Added it to the almost certain list.
harishw8r

#1329 Post by harishw8r » 17 Jun 2021 05:50

20% of the total number of accessible cities is the policy I have for garages. So I estimate 7-8 garages in Texas alone. Mostly the places with the highest number of depots, but I’d make some exceptions for scenic routes too.
Sora

#1330 Post by Sora » 17 Jun 2021 14:54

There are three types of cities that tend to get garages: those with considerable population, those that serve as state capitals, and those that are very far from any other city with a garage.

This honestly covers like half of the cities in the state, so Texas should have a lot of garages. All but the last five on your "almost certain" list should definitely have one, as should at least one of Midland or Odessa (this depends on whether one or both get in.) The other four probably should, with Del Rio and Tyler looking the least likely (though still at like 60-70% odds imo).

Fort Worth will probably have one. Iirc there are some really close garages on the existing map anyway. I'm not sure I'd write off Beaumont or Texarkana, either, depending on how those two cities are implemented - if we actually get the full Texarkana, or if "Beaumont" is treated as a composite of Beaumont/Orange/PtArthur, they could both be valid garages as well.

Return to “General discussion about the game”