Texas Discussion Thread

55sixxx

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1621 Post by 55sixxx » 16 Sep 2021 20:48

Things that should be added to increase the realism in the weather subject:

- Wind effect on the handling of the truck, if you're light you are more likely to flip over, if you're heavy it takes more wind to flip. (This would be an option that could be turned on/off in the settings)
- Very heavy rain that could restrict your visibility to barely anything, forcing you to pull over and wait for it to pass. (Could be toned down in the settings just like Rain Probability)
- Slippery roads (More than it is now) (Funny fact: During one of my recent trips in ATS, i was experiencing heavy rain and when i entered the off-ramp in Redding, my truck started to slide down and my wheels felt like they were locked)
- Lightnings and thunders... This is something that needs a massive improvement and better sounds as well
- Occasional floods on areas below sea level, like in New Orleans and etc. (Could be turned on/off in the settings)
- Hail fall like @flight50 mentioned but with optional damage that could be turned off in the settings
- Power outages during severe storms, especially at night (Permanent feature that couldn't be turned off because we have headlights for a reason)
- Dirt and grime on the trucks (It's a feature that SCS has talked about before and it seems to be in development)
flight50

#1622 Post by flight50 » 16 Sep 2021 21:43

Most people will think I'm biased because I'm here in Texas. Truth of the matter is, since Texas is on the chopping block, I know what I have to deal with day to day, year by year here. And now that I'm so invested into ATS, I pay a little more attention to roads and trucking in the state. So a lot of my ideas come from just thinking about things or encountering certain things here. I'm learning about Texas just like some of you all. I don't know everything without researching myself.

But I hope Texas brings more than just a pretty map.
1. Some big new feature or advanced feature. I chose weather. It could be anything though. Just severe weather alone does the trick for me but it works for other plains states
2. Tankers. I'm not a tanker but I think its time and the perfect time at that to be with Texas. I know a lot of you are ready for tankers so bring'em on, lol.
3. Expanded oil/gas and livestock. I think Texas will have to add new prefabs all together. Copy paste from older dlc won't work. Texas needs new ones and multiple ones at that. Recycling older ones are okay but to depend on them will be more like ehhhh, we've seen that.
4. More new companies. 3 doesn't work for Texas. So far Oregon and Washington produced the most. Texas needs a solid dozen at the least of new companies imho. I hate to say it but I don't think I'd get that and that will be very disappointing. Rebrand or totally new, doesn't matter. Texas need new if its starting a new region.
5. new truck. Most would love that but we'll see. The 579 would be ideal but anything could come. Next Summer is another year and another chance to get more.
6. new industry/new cargo. Texas has to bring 1-2 new industries we have not seen I'd hope. We have seen glass plants and we've seen fowarding facilities. What other surprises do we get? Whatever it is, should help the rest of the game in the future. Whatever Texas and Wyoming get, that helps California, Nevada and Nevada too.
7. massive road network. So far, California is the busiest. As it should be to date. Its not bad. Just aged. Texas should double California if not more in regards to road network. Texas should bring a serious road network yet to be incorporated into ATS. If Texas doesn't the most roads and the most state wide complex roadways, the ball was dropped, lol. With 6 huge cities, the interchanges won't be fun to build. But for us fans, they will be awesome to drive.
8. numerous cities. this is by default due to size. Texas can be host to deliverable cities all over the place. I'd love to see 25-35 cities. More than that, crowds Texas and we loose sense of distance. No point in over doing Texas. Balance it accordingly.
9. diversity. Texas is not Colorado nor Wyoming when comparing nature. It has its spots around the state though. Most are away from the sight of trucking roads. But Texas makes up for it with
4 distinct and large areas/regions. Because of Texas's size, it should take time to transition from one biome to another. It should change drastically. There's a part of Texas in which everyone will have their favorite area. Whether you like NM/AR/UT with the basin/range or if you like eastern CO/WY plains or you like a little bit of WA/OR with the forest/woods, its here. The Montana aspect isn't here yet but the high plains will be that.
Trucker Nik

#1623 Post by Trucker Nik » 17 Sep 2021 08:39

How many percent of US territory does Texas occupy? Let's take into account all 48 neighboring states, I think Texas is as big as Wyoming Colorado and New Mexico combined, or as California and Montana together
Tristman

#1624 Post by Tristman » 17 Sep 2021 08:42

You could do some calculations with this table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ted_States
Texas is quite a bit smaller than both New Mexico + Colorado + Wyoming and Montana + California.
Texas' land area is about 19% of the total US land area.
flight50

#1625 Post by flight50 » 17 Sep 2021 12:01

Wyoming+Colorado+New Mexico - account for all the overlap and Texas is smaller than all 3 for sure.
California+Montana - This are the 2nd and 3rd largest states in the lower 48. That's asking a lot from Texas.

I like to compare Texas to 3.5-4 Washington's. Washington is one of the denser states but in a small package.
oldmanclippy

#1626 Post by oldmanclippy » 17 Sep 2021 14:41

I think with Texas we will see a similar density to the sparser parts of New Mexico in the west, and the denser parts of Colorado in the east. 25 to 30 cities would be perfect IMO. Then dozens more unmarked of course. I think that would be a good balance between providing value while also preserving distances between cities (west of the Texas Triangle at least).
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#1627 Post by flight50 » 17 Sep 2021 15:37

The amount of scenic towns in Texas will be interesting. No telling what that number will be. But it should easily be at the least the same as the marked cities. Texas will need to showcase its best attributes. Serious urban develop along I-35 and in the largest cities, good representation to the mid-sized cites and serious sense of distance outside of the Texas triangle. Adding to that, the industries/opportunities we'll get. How does Texas fit and compliment the current economy. Nail all this and Texas will be a big hit.

For those that love long distance, I-10 will be the first longest Interstate completed in ATS more than likely. Texas adds to all that. From San Diego to El Paso is 724 miles.

From Beaumont, Texas to Jacksonville, Florida its 786 miles.

El Paso, Tx to Beaumont, Tx is 827 miles. Texas is more than 1/3 the entire length of I-10. Talk about travel time and distance. So once Texas drops, we can go from San Diego to Beaumont for a 1,553 mile trip and that is 2 hrs shy of a 24 hr drive. Its not the longest route possible when Texas drops but it will by far be the longest route available with using just one interstate and not having to get off. Now if you play with detours, you will be affected.

I'm more anxious to do San Diego to New Orleans though. If we are lucky, by the time Louisiana drops, all of California could be done. New economy in place and we good to go. Arizona can hold up a tad longer until Nevada gets updated. If SCS does not fast track I-80, we'll need that before they work Arizona. But 2 of the biggest markets in the US is California and Texas. Traveling East to West via I-10 and I-40 will be possible. Its going to be bitter sweet to finally go beyond New Mexico's borders. 2017 is when NM drop. By the time Texas releases, that could be a 5 year wait. With a larger map team now, we shouldn't have to wait that long to continue any state. That is why I like stair stepping the map. Every 1-3 years, a state gets the adjacent state.

I wouldn't have an issue with progressing with I-10, then I-20 and I-40 to reach the coast. At the same time, SCS can easily build North and North East to work I-70, I-80 and I-90 respectfully. If its a Southeast to a Northwest sweeping map build, that keeps things connected decently enough to tie in the diversity of the US. Getting cargo from the South industries to the West and the Midwest would be ideal imo. I'd love to go from Miami to Seattle someday. The path to get there can be numbers. Google default is this 3,297 mile trip. Based on how SCS would be able to give it to us the fastest though is perhaps this 3,412 mile trip. Not much more than the default path. That is crossing 11 states. Of course with the path of the second trip, by the time we can get to Florida, we will more than likely have Oklahoma and Kansas as well. So if you want to keep it all interstate, that would be very easy to do for just a few extra miles added like this 3,552 mile route.
55sixxx

#1628 Post by 55sixxx » 18 Sep 2021 00:56

The first thing i'm gonna do when Texas get's released is this.

Then i'm gonna head back to Beaumont, then I'll pick up another load to LA, deliver and get back again. Repeat. And that is how i'm gonna crank up the mileage on my Anthem (Or Pinnacle if may be a little bit more optimistic) and on my WoTR profile. And if we get McAllen as well, i'll do a lot of McAllen-Bellingham jobs as well.
Trucker Nik

#1629 Post by Trucker Nik » 18 Sep 2021 06:27

My first shipment to Texas will be from Bellingham (WA) to Beaumont (TX)
AlexxxF1

#1630 Post by AlexxxF1 » 18 Sep 2021 09:54

I think with Texas I will pass this way more than once) from I-5 to I -10 ) 2800 miles ) 4500 km trip )

Return to “General discussion about the game”