Texas Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#1901 Post by oldmanclippy » 14 Oct 2021 18:36

rbsanford wrote: 14 Oct 2021 17:10 Either that, or "President Pavel" could be up for re-election, promising infrastructure improvements (reworked base map, continuous updates) and new jobs (new industries and companies in future states).
That's a brilliant idea lol. Then we can say "Thanks Pavel" sarcastically whenever something bad happens in-game
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Brendan0620

#1902 Post by Brendan0620 » 14 Oct 2021 19:16

I would love to see billboards that have fast food advertisements and say that it is on the next exit, or maybe if possible, how many miles till the exit. Those are everywhere in my home state of Florida, You can basically see a "McDonald's, Next Exit" or some billboard similar about anywhere in Florida on the interstates.

We kind of already have one in ATS with the company Annie's, it says that you are almost to the location in certain places, usually it is with a Driver/Driving branded gas station.
EDIT: here is the image. I just put a sign down in the editor somewhere.
[ external image ]

Just think about it, you see the billboard for Taco Kingdom, and it tells you that it is on the next exit, this would be cool to see in Texas.

Whatever Annie makes for future DLCs, including Texas, is going to be awesome and we will welcome her amazing work with open arms!
Last edited by Brendan0620 on 14 Oct 2021 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
Trucker_Tommy

#1903 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 14 Oct 2021 19:25

@flight50 I’m with you on excitement for @SCS_Annie going full time on ATS and look forward to seeing what new stuff is brought to Texas and once confirmed Montana and beyond. However also being an ETS 2 player as well would be good to see more details from the ETS dev side. Know more of the ATS dev side and very little about ETS2 devs.
rbsanford

#1904 Post by rbsanford » 14 Oct 2021 21:03

@Brendan0620, yeah, that's such a nice detail. It'd also be really great if unique restaurants (or other businesses/attractions) had the specific exit number (or town) on the sign. I could really see this happening with the famous Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo and the Medieval Times in Dallas, two iconic Texas restaurants it'd be cool to see in the game along the highway.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Sora

#1905 Post by Sora » 14 Oct 2021 21:10

I'm sure that the last thing anyone playing ATS wants or needs to be reminded of is American politics. The populace has been sufficiently polarized that saying anything, in either direction, in support of anyone, is enough to get people upset. Hell, just look at the vaccine delivery event or half the responses to the charity DLC. That stuff shouldn't even be a blip in a sane world, but we've long since surpassed sanity.

I'm pretty sure that SCS is smart enough to avoid intentionally going within 100 miles of that stuff, but to be clear, they should absolutely continue avoiding it. At the absolute most, a generic "ELECT (name of some developer)" with no other information is probably okay.

-

Regarding the restaurant billboards, you can do something similar for new suburbs under construction. Maybe tie it into Plaster & Sons or some other construction company, too.
flight50

#1906 Post by flight50 » 14 Oct 2021 21:13

rbsanford wrote: 14 Oct 2021 18:19 And a Bucc-ee's, of course.

@flight50, all those kinds of billboards wouldn't need to come with Texas, they could be worked in over future DLCs.
Now Buc-ee's would be sweet. That would be iconic for sure. The cool part about Buc-ee's is that they are spread to other states in the Southeast. So SCS will be able to reuse it later down the road. If they manage to get Buc-ee's in....mmmm. Delicious, lol. It a landmark in a way. They are considered a travel center and man what a stop they are. Most people here in Texas go for the cool foods they have. They have a lot of things that you can only find at Buc-ee's.

I wasn't saying a particular type of billboard though. If you are referring my statement quoted below, I'm only speaking of new depots/new companies, not billboards. Billboards can be deep for sure. That is something Annie will always be able to add new graphic to.
flight50 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 17:37 What would I love to see Texas/Annie showcase: Grocery store diversity, gas station diversity, farm diversity and construction primarily. If Texas can get 2-3 new depots in these categories along with whatever else, that starts to add diversity for sure.
Brendan0620 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 19:16 Just think about it, you see the billboard for Taco Kingdom, and it tells you that it is on the next exit, this would be cool to see in Texas.

Whatever Annie makes for future DLCs, including Texas, is going to be awesome and we will welcome her amazing work with open arms!
Cool sign. I totally agree with you on the exit immersion imprinted on the billboard itself. Texas has a ton of these designation billboards. Buc-ee's included. I wonder if we do get a Buc-ee's, what would it be called? Beaver's, Squirrel's, Weasel's, Ferret's, Hamster's....I bet Annie imagination gets to run wild with Texas. Only one language to worry about should make things easier for her. Good luck on Annie and again, welcome to the ATS team :D.

@Trucker_Tommy I agree that Montana should be fun to. Lots of space for Annie to work with there to. After Texas and Montana though, the scope per dlc gets smaller but busier as the smaller states get more compact. Yeah, it does seem like more devs for ATS will get in front of the camera and not so many from the ETS2 team. It should be more balanced for sure. Both games are spoken in English though. Perhaps most people working on ATS is more comfortable dealing with English that those on the ETS2 team. I think Nemiro is getting pretty good with English but not sure about others that are Czech. He cracks me up though, lol. I'm glad he our driver host. It wouldn't feel right if he wasn't our driver host at this point. He and Alex are the closet people we have to Carthoo.
Last edited by flight50 on 16 Oct 2021 05:36, edited 2 times in total.
SCS_Annie
SCS Software

#1907 Post by SCS_Annie » 15 Oct 2021 12:41

Brendan0620 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 19:16 I would love to see billboards that have fast food advertisements and say that it is on the next exit, or maybe if possible, how many miles till the exit. Those are everywhere in my home state of Florida, You can basically see a "McDonald's, Next Exit" or some billboard similar about anywhere in Florida on the interstates.

We kind of already have one in ATS with the company Annie's, it says that you are almost to the location in certain places, usually it is with a Driver/Driving branded gas station.

Just think about it, you see the billboard for Taco Kingdom, and it tells you that it is on the next exit, this would be cool to see in Texas.

Our team certainly appreciates the enthusiasm, however, for the time being, something like this is rather unrealistic due to technical obstacles, time restraints and other issues being of higher priority.
Last edited by supersobes on 15 Oct 2021 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image from quote [Forum rule 2.3]
2D artist (Concept art & branding) for American Truck Simulator.
Working at SCS Software since 2020.

Instagram
Trakaplex

#1908 Post by Trakaplex » 15 Oct 2021 12:56

SCS_Annie wrote: 15 Oct 2021 12:41
Brendan0620 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 19:16 I would love to see billboards that have fast food advertisements and say that it is on the next exit, or maybe if possible, how many miles till the exit. Those are everywhere in my home state of Florida, You can basically see a "McDonald's, Next Exit" or some billboard similar about anywhere in Florida on the interstates.

Our team certainly appreciates the enthusiasm, however, for the time being, something like this is rather unrealistic due to technical obstacles, time restraints and other issues being of higher priority.
What technical obstacles Annie? Are you guys just hurrying up for Texas since it's still a struggle? Do you have an official map plan yet?
Last edited by supersobes on 15 Oct 2021 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image from quote [Forum rule 2.3]
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
SCS_Annie
SCS Software

#1909 Post by SCS_Annie » 15 Oct 2021 13:34

Trakaplex wrote: 15 Oct 2021 12:56
SCS_Annie wrote: 15 Oct 2021 12:41

What technical obstacles Annie? Are you guys just hurrying up for Texas since it's still a struggle? Do you have an official map plan yet?
These aren't questions I am allowed to answer. But one thing I can say - for starters, billboard textures are huge. In resolution and thus, size. This is something we need to keep in mind. Optimization matters. Not to mention, billboards are only a fraction of 2D artist's responsibilities. There simply isn't time for someone to create 600 of thse specific billboards, and for someone else to place them into all the previously released DLC as well as the base game.
2D artist (Concept art & branding) for American Truck Simulator.
Working at SCS Software since 2020.

Instagram
Quark

#1910 Post by Quark » 15 Oct 2021 15:11

It's good that you damp down some unrealistic expectations right from the start, Annie. Generally, such a feedback directly from the developers is always highly welcomed. :)

Return to “General discussion about the game”