Texas Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#171 Post by flight50 » 16 Aug 2020 07:02

I too was hoping for Presidio to get Big Bend in the game for some time. But just snooping around, it doesn’t offer much without Mexico. Killeen is more or less a military town and SCS tends to steering away from that. There is more there than Presidio though.

Xaagon

#172 Post by Xaagon » 16 Aug 2020 16:33

I think Killeen/Temple is far enough away from Waco and Austin to at least be represented with a blocked freeway exit.

Presidio looks like it would be necessary when they do add Mexico. If not Presidio, maybe Marfa?

Onagerlinn

#173 Post by Onagerlinn » 16 Aug 2020 22:44

@Xaagon I would hope Marfa or Alpine make the game as a deliverable city. That part of Texas is very, very desolate and remote, and Alpine is the largest town in that region.

Also, US 90 in that area is would be really nice to have, especially if Del Rio is deliverable (which I think it will be).

flight50

#174 Post by flight50 » 17 Aug 2020 00:04

I 100% agree on US-90. I hope it is the scenic route from El Paso to South Texas. Whether it is El Paso to San Antonio or El Paso to Corpus, Brownsville, McAllen, Del Rio or Laredo, US-90 could be the Southern most route we could see mountains or what not in Texas if we don't get Presidio. Between Alpine and Marfa, hopefully one comes marked. Neither are real big towns and neither offer a lot. But we have towns in the game now that are very similar and they are marked. Colville, Omak, Burns, Poiche, Ely, Jackpot, Tonopah..... I really hope SCS doesn't miss on US 90. West Texas would look very very bare and incomplete with just I-10 from El Paso to San Antonio and then branch out.

supersobes
Global moderator

#175 Post by supersobes » 17 Aug 2020 00:08

I was looking at Texas roads on Google Maps today, and there's a particular detail that I'm wondering about. Looking at the frontage roads and service roads that run parallel to the highways, I noticed that while some have a speed limit somewhere between 40 and 50 MPH, there are also a number of frontage roads and service roads have sections with no speed limit signage and some that have no posted speed limit at all down the entire length of the road. Does this mean that the speed limit on these roads is the same as it is on the main travel lanes of the highway, or is there some sort of implied speed limit system on these roads?

flight50

#176 Post by flight50 » 17 Aug 2020 03:37

I am not 100% positive but most of the rural areas that do not have posted limits, its typically 35-40 mph. Most locals tend to know the law enforcement activity in their area and where the law can get you so they tend to stick to 40-45mph. Cops normally don't bother you if you go 5 over. But people tend to be a little more careful because words gets around and the traps they set from time to time.

Shiva

#177 Post by Shiva » 17 Aug 2020 11:15

flight50 wrote:
16 Aug 2020 03:16
Texas shouldn't have less than 25 thats for sure. My guess is 25-30. Unfortunately I think Texarkana comes with Arkansas but I hope Texas gets it. SCS rarely finishes out Eastern parts of dlc's it seems. There will already be tons in Texas so Texarkana is 50/50.
I still hope for Texarkana x2.
I can be optimistic on some things atleast? :D
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Xaagon

#178 Post by Xaagon » 17 Aug 2020 18:09

I'm not sure they would give us Texarkana twice. I'm really wondering what they're going to do with Kansas City though. It seems too important to leave out of Kansas DLC, but the bigger part of the city is in Missouri.

flight50

#179 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2020 01:56

No we definitely won't get Texarkana twice. I'd love to get that far East in Texas on I-30 though. If we can get US-59 from Houston to Texarkana and US-96 from Beaumont to US-59, we are golden. That sets a pretty good Eastern Texas. With US-96 and US-59, they take us thru the greenest parts of Texas. This greens has logging to it. To not get logging in Texas removes a very established industry already in the game. So East Texas is just as meaningful as all other regions in Texas.

If the plan is to bundle Ark/La, I think Texarkana can comes with Texas. If Eastern Texas can have a presence, that would be great. Considering Texas is pretty much the size of the base map itself, it would be a miss to not extend Texas to every corner there is though. Especially considering the price tag. For a speculated $17.99, people will want every inch of Texas they can get. The road miles, the mapped cities, the unmapped towns, the industries will all be something to really look forward to with Texas. Utah/Idaho set a new bar in ATS with cities imho. The way that the cities connect is finally the way most of us hoped for. It was disliked to have to access the Interstate just to get to the other parts of the city. Having linking back roads to get around the cities is awesome now. Texas should be no different. Plenty of room to do so. Especially in the small remote towns. If Colorado follows Idaho, you can bet this will be the new standard in city development by being able to drive thru them like we do.

The amount of towns that will be possible to drive thru in Texas will and should be more than any other state in the US. The sheer mass of Texas allows so much to happen. Even at 1:20 scale, I think many cities will pop up. Unlike the other dlc's in place, Texas won't demand the same type of terrain modeling. This plays into our hands hopefully. Texas is big yes, but hopefully instead of all that invested time in creating mountains and elevations all over the place, the devs can focus on the Great Plains aspect of Texas by giving us more of the Plains. If Eastern Colorado turns out great, I expect Texas to shine with the Great Plains. From the dry West, to the barren lands of the pandle and then over to the green parts of the state, it will all be a please to drive. Someday, I will be able to make DFW my permanent garage on one of my profiles.

Shiva

#180 Post by Shiva » 18 Aug 2020 15:03

Or maybe better have Texarkana with Arkansas?

Or rather, if there might be a function in the future to have a city having X and/or Y option in the game.
X = map DLC X.
Y = map DLC Y.
City driveable and shown on the map if and/or is fulfilled.

There are map sectors that are NOT in the map dlc files, but instead in the base.scs file.

For now, there is X and Y, then roads are shown.
Or, function, that I can not remember seeing yet. But it could solve some problems? with twin cities at State borders?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”