Texas Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#311 Post by flight50 » 20 Oct 2020 01:23

I'll be baffled if Wyoming doesn't come first. We don't get a lot of it in Utah so Wyoming before Texas is perfect. We won't know what dlc is next until the xmas stream. ETS2 got its next map hinted at today but that doesn't mean ATS will get it.

Shiva

#312 Post by Shiva » 20 Oct 2020 01:39

@flight50 Oops, I meant west! on Abilene, not east. No need to move it at all.
For Mesquite and Terrell, didn't mean the center for Fort Worth nor Dallas, but that they could very well occupy those areas, due to their size "Dallas and Fort Worth".
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

fra_ba

#313 Post by fra_ba » 20 Oct 2020 06:24

Xaagon wrote:
20 Oct 2020 00:26
I thought I remembered hearing in one of the dev blogs that they started with cities first, then worked on the spaces between them. I don't remember which one, so it's possible I just read that somewhere and it could be false information. It does make sense though, and still gives them the option to cheat cities in a certain direction to make room for other planned stuff.
Well, I think it's not false. the most time and space consuming part of mapping is definitely cities, especially big ones. with them in place you kinda know how much space you got for everything else.

EthanE40

#314 Post by EthanE40 » 30 Oct 2020 18:51

Something interesting I've noticed, Temple is not a control city along I-35. Going north from Austin, it's Waco, then Dallas/Fort Worth, then splits to Dallas for I-35E and Fort Worth for I-35W, then Denton acts as a control city for both 35E and 35W after Dallas/Fort Worth.

Could this be the same for ATS? That could be a justifiable reason for skipping Temple and going straight to Waco and DFW after Austin. Or maybe Killeen gets in just for the sake of I-14 but I don't know what all there is there in terms of industry outside of Fort Hood (which even then is highly controversial due to recent events that have occurred there).

Edit: Found a mineral mine near Killeen. I guess that could be enough to get Killeen in the game? :lol:

flight50

#315 Post by flight50 » 30 Oct 2020 19:53

If Temple has a shot in Texas, it would be scenic in my book and I'd skip Killeen altogether unless there is lots of space remaining. If Boulder Colorado didn't make the game, I don't see Killeen making it either. Its a tight squeeze in my book. Waco and Austin pretty much squeeze out Temple imo.

EthanE40

#316 Post by EthanE40 » 30 Oct 2020 21:16

flight50 wrote:
30 Oct 2020 19:53
If Temple has a shot in Texas, it would be scenic in my book and I'd skip Killeen altogether unless there is lots of space remaining. If Boulder Colorado didn't make the game, I don't see Killeen making it either. Its a tight squeeze in my book. Waco and Austin pretty much squeeze out Temple imo.
That makes sense, I'd much rather Waco than Temple anyways.

Xaagon

#317 Post by Xaagon » 31 Oct 2020 00:49

How do you think that super wide part of I-10 between Houston and Katy will be represented? How many lanes will they include? Will there be an appropriate level of AI traffic to fill those lanes?

Skoot

#318 Post by Skoot » 31 Oct 2020 00:54

Would be cool to see all 26 or something lanes. But SCS is likely to get away with a trimmed-down version (I'd expect that some lanes including HOV will be omitted), and if it actually happens, it'll be the last thing I'll see on my screen before my laptop combusts. :lol:

flight50

#319 Post by flight50 » 31 Oct 2020 04:59

@Xaagon You must be referring to the Katy Freeway. I'd be surprised to see more than 5 lanes each side and no I doubt there will be more traffic to justify it. In ATS, I don't see the point in more than 3 lanes if traffic is not heavy. With so many different pc specs out there, increasing
traffic is something we have to do on our on. SCS should leave that valve at 1. The most lanes in big cities I'd personally map is 4 lanes. The way 4 lanes have to merge down to two lanes is unrealistic to me. Merging from 3 though is more fluid.

Xaagon

#320 Post by Xaagon » 31 Oct 2020 16:56

Yep, that's the freeway. I've never been there myself, but have seen YouTube videos of it and think this would be something ATS fans would be expecting from Houston. Maybe not all 26 lanes, but it should be the widest freeway we get in ATS. However I was concerned about it from the lack of traffic we currently have on the bigger freeways in Los Angeles. Even with traffic mods that city seems kind of empty to me.

I understand that not everybody has a computer that can handle lots of AI traffic, but I wish there was a slider in the gameplay options that I could use to ramp it up without needing mods.

I think merging lanes down can be realistically done if there's enough room - US-395 north of Reno merges 3 lanes to 1 pretty good. Now if the AI could just learn to merge without almost coming to a stop we would be golden.

Return to “General discussion about the game”