ATS 1.38 Discussion

cwat89

Re: ATS 1.38 Public Beta Discussion

#841 Post by cwat89 » 10 Jul 2020 21:43

Ok... I know this isn’t directly related to 1.38 BUT it pertains to the ongoing fmod improvements. I think the Mack and Lonestar sounds are decent. These new trucks truly are just super quiet. However they really need to add low end tones to all engines and I think people would be more pleased with the stock sounds. Now for what still really grinds my gears... pun intended... @Max please for goodness sakes relay the message to devs to do away with the air shifting noises. All you have to do is watch a YouTube video of an American truck with an automated transmission and know they DO NOT MAKE AIR SOUNDS WHEN SHIFTING. Or contact the manufacturer to confirm it. If it wasn’t for a private mod I have that makes realistic shifting noises I’m not sure I would’ve kept playing for this long. If there’s some underlying reason SCS insists on using them I would love to know. If you must leave them in could there not be an option to turn them off? Yes I have this mod and all is well for me but there’s many others that hate that sound because it’s unrealistic.
Bandit & The Snowman

#842 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 10 Jul 2020 23:24

I still get sudden skybox switches.
cowhand214

#843 Post by cowhand214 » 11 Jul 2020 00:03

I'm not playing the OB (feels too much like my IRL work) but love to see the team stomping bugs! Very satisfying to see the changelogs go by! Speaking of which I can't wait to go buy Idaho!
My World of Trucks profile

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends..."
Robinicus

#844 Post by Robinicus » 11 Jul 2020 04:09

You can fix the air sounds on your own by ripping the bank, replacing the air gear sound with a blank sample and recompile. Links to the tools needed are in my FMOD thread in post 1; there is no need to use/learn FMOD Studio for something this simple.
j_d_k

#845 Post by j_d_k » 11 Jul 2020 08:23

As @Bandit & The Snowman confirmed, the skyboxes are still changing instantly. Hope this doesn't persist in ID.
DoktorPete

#846 Post by DoktorPete » 11 Jul 2020 09:23

TL;DR: *1 light-hearted shut up and take my money gif*

I've been playing this game from the beginning, almost exclusively on C2C/CanaDream with a hardcore economy mod that starts you off doing the quick jobs at $0.32 a mile, but I've wanted to be a trucker since I was 7 so I would literally love for the map to be a 1:1 of the US and Canada :lol: Do I have gripes with the game? Of course; The sound dampening effect of the windows since FMOD is obscenely high, for some inexplicable reason the in-truck nav systems have LESS information than the RA when it could/should be a 1:1 match, the clutch functionality is dubious on a good day, and I'm up to my eyeballs in aliasing sub-400% scaling @ 1080P Ultra. But that's all subjective, now isn't it?

Seeing the pictures of the Vegas Strip and the SSAO in the beta announcement really got my attention. I've probably spent less than 15 hours in-game in an official state since a little after New Mexico dropped and most of that was using new profiles to test my own mods and theories behind setting up a proper twin-stick rig. I downloaded the beta and loaded up the game thinking I'd just grab a load into Vegas to see what was up, but it broke my truck mod so there I found myself on a new, mostly mod-less, profile instead. I gotta say, I was completely blown away with how Washington and Oregon turned out. Some of the scenic drives in Washington through the mountains are breathtaking, and there aren't even any disgusting grades like in parts of Canada! I've always found hills really difficult to distinguish in the unofficial maps and I think that's a large part of why I initially steered clear of Washington, but they're definitely easier to spot on the official map. Likewise the forests and water leave the scenery near the Atlantic in the dust with a seemingly more vibrant colour palette. I've held on pretty strongly to the "Simulator" part of the title as it's more of a "Fantasy/Dream Career Simulator" for me, but being able to take a step back, shut off all the mods and enjoy it as a game has really given me a new appreciation for how far it's come. And with Idaho next week, I finally feel like there might be enough roads for me to ditch the map mods. Or at least C2C, you can pry CanaDream from my cold, dead Ca-knuckles.

As someone who is apparently some degree of colourblind, the updates to the colour picker are perfect. I've been trying to match a specific blue/green for years and now I might finally be able to get it. And while I might not be able to afford a fleet anytime soon, the option to store an entire colour scheme also makes quickly looking at different stripe kits across a common theme so much faster.

The RA finally has a distance to waypoints! This has been on my wishlist for as long as I've had CanaDream. Fuel is expensive up here and the rest/fuel stops seem to be a little bit sparse so I try to avoid refueling North of the border at all costs. I've definitely had to re-load a save just outside a gas station when it turns out that I did not, in fact, have enough to make the next stop. Yes, the same one I passed a couple hundred miles back about 35 seconds before the light came on. I don't have money in my budget for a couple gallons at double the price, much less a tow to the nearest service station, and at long-last the guessing days are over. Now lets get this put on the in-truck nav with an ETA so I never have to look at the RA again!

The SSAO has unfortunately knee-capped my poor old 7970, kicking me down to 30 FPS in the forest even on low. I could definitely see a difference though so it's at least one step towards a better looking game and I'm looking forward to testing it and any other "visual improvements" that might be coming whenever I finally manage to upgrade.

Shamefully, I got so side-tracked in Washington that I forgot to actually hit the strip. Gives me something to do tomorrow when I'm trying to find one of those new realistic truck stops I suppose. I have seen some Anthems in traffic though and that is legit one of the most beautiful trucks on the road right now, which is more than I can say for...one truck. Or am I the only one getting nightmare flashbacks to Maximum Overdrive every time they pass an oncoming LoneStar?

Well done SCS, this is how you do it.
flight50

#847 Post by flight50 » 11 Jul 2020 18:30

I have a request for this 1.38 o.b. if possible before this goes public. If not, it can come later. First off, I love this rest stop under I-515 in Vegas. It a unique challenge. I can't remember if it was always there or not and the bridge just went over it now. Either way, its an awesome challenge. With that said, I think it can use a few tweaks. Mainly because its a one sided rest stop. Sort of like US-93 from Vegas to Kingman was but SCS removed the median not to long ago to make it accessible for both directions of travel. The same is needed here. We have to make a block in the city and come out on the opposite side. Now considering we must reverse into this spot, not an issue, we have to pop the curb in the median to get enough room to reverse. So removing a portion of the curb allows us two things.
1) Gets us into and out of the rest area from both directions of travel
2) Allows us enough room to reverse without having to pop the curb.

I hope a devs sees this here or can at least pass it on to someone that can modify it.

[ external image ]
Highflyernl

#848 Post by Highflyernl » 11 Jul 2020 19:51

explosion65 wrote: 10 Jul 2020 17:56 @koolizz This might just be me, but it seems like draw distance and LOD pop in has been improved somewhat in the 1.38 OB, at least in certain parts of the map. Maybe it's less of graphics fix, and more of tweaking the needs to be done to the map itself? Regardless, I'm sure SCS is working on it for 1.39 and/or 1.40, as that and the lackluster AA are probably the two biggest issues holding the game's graphics back.
Draw distance is still set to max 1500m causing those popping and fading mountains. I agree it should be top priority to fix it, I will probably come back to ATS once that is fixed, now it brakes immersion too much. AA is still handled by nvinspector, so not too high priority for now
explosion65

#849 Post by explosion65 » 11 Jul 2020 20:59

@Highflyernl I use the Nvidia Profile Inspector AA fix as well, the only issue now is that it doesn’t seem to work with the SSAO introduced in 1.38, but it’s not worth it to trade good AA with no SSAO for SSAO with heavy aliasing imo.
room217au

#850 Post by room217au » 12 Jul 2020 02:09

I use mods, but I noticed is latest OB update, the 'steering indicator' is visible in the upgrade shop and remains even when expanding for screenshot (the button with the four outward arrows)
I would make a bug report but thought I'd mention it here for those who don't use mods than can confirm this 'bug' and report it properly.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.

Return to “General discussion about the game”