Montana Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#601 Post by flight50 » 30 Nov 2021 17:21

It would be a huge mistake to add Cody and US-14 to or with Montana. That road is completely in Wyoming and doesn't connect to Montana. That would piss off Wyoming owners that don't or won't get Montana right away. That should be a free update to Wyoming. Montana does need to connect up connections to Wyoming and Idaho that are typical for extensions. Idaho should get US-2 to Washington as a free update. But we should be able to get from Kalispell to Coleville without I-90. I think things will be smooth here out though, excluding Texas. Montana Texas is just a beast and I agree with Tristam-94. Texas is that one chance to make that break thru. It should be ATS's most expensive single state dlc.

I've said it before but Texas will make or break ATS. Make because of its size and content that can come with it. It starts a new region and as the first, we can see how SCS approaches new ATS regions. Break ATS because it lacks due to dev time and lack of content for its price. I'd spend as much time as possible to maximize sales honestly. There is no rush, no time table in my eyes. Delay as necessary but it has to be just right. I think what Tristam said is accurate though, Texas....if we are to ever have patience for an ATS dlc, Texas is the one. Its the Iberia of ATS right now. Highly anticipated and can come loaded. Remember the ATS team is split into 4 project. ETS2 has only 2 than we know of at the moment so the mass majority are concentrating on HoR in which can go faster. Then a small team on rebuilds.

America is still a learning process, we are getting into a different biome now for a continuous run. Montana is the last of the West but even still its a state in which the mass majority is not like other states. Yes we have some GP areas in the game to date, but nothing like what 2022 can bring. But stating that its all cookie cutter, might not be what SCS maps. They try to pull out the most interesting parts of roads they map. The geography may be similar in regions/states, but SCS more than likely still tries to give some type of variance.
Xaagon

#602 Post by Xaagon » 01 Dec 2021 03:34

flight50 wrote: 30 Nov 2021 17:21 Montana is the last of the West but even still its a state in which the mass majority is not like other states.
I agree that Montana finishes the west, and all of the current easternmost ATS states show a little bit of the Great Plains. Likewise, I would argue that North & South Dakota are plains states, but they have regions that have a more western feel to them, specifically North Dakota's Badlands, and South Dakota's Black Hills. I would even argue the far west part of Texas, south of New Mexico, is more western than plains/southern... El Paso is even in the Mountain Time Zone.

US-2 complete from WA to MT would be great! SCS, please do this!

I would be ok if Cody and US-14 didn't come until Montana, but I agree it should be made available to Wyoming DLC owners.
nautofon

#603 Post by nautofon » 01 Dec 2021 12:12

flight50 wrote: 30 Nov 2021 17:21I've said it before but Texas will make or break ATS. ... There is no rush, no time table in my eyes. Delay as necessary but it has to be just right.
Yeah, take all the time needed for Texas. It'll be worth it.

Montana will also take some time to get right, in part because Idaho missed several connections (WA 20 and US 12/93, at least). Montana is already one of the larger states, and those connections not having come with Idaho (yes, I'm still slightly worked up about that ;)) makes the Montana DLC even larger. And as the last of the Rocky Mountain states, it, too, should get all the time it needs.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Double M

#604 Post by Double M » 01 Dec 2021 15:49

I ask myself this question:
Do you think that the Montana DLC could be the same size as the Oregon DLC in terms of the size of the road network?
rbsanford

#605 Post by rbsanford » 01 Dec 2021 16:26

I could see it being around the same density, but the raw road mileage will definitely be larger.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#606 Post by flight50 » 01 Dec 2021 16:28

@nautofon Totally agree. Idaho makes Montana larger. Then there is also Wyoming. Montana should take longer than a year. It too needs to be good. Just like you said, it's the last Rocky Mountain state. I always say....let Montana go out with a bang.

@Double M Montana needs to be much larger than Oregon. The entire state of Oregon fits in the Eastern part of Montana. I-15 all the way to the border of North Dakota. We need a real good dense map though. East of I-15, we could easily get 75% or more of the real life roads imo. There should be a ton of space to play with considering no large mountain models to worry about. I expect cut planes to play a major role in the Great Plain states.

The denser part is Western Montana obviously. That should have a western Washington like feel in regards to being compact. So add Western Washington to Oregon and I see that as Montana.
Double M

#607 Post by Double M » 01 Dec 2021 16:58

So it promises to be a state with plenty of miles to drive. Obviously without comparing it to Texas.
And with the arrival of Montana, you can finally travel I-15 in its entirety. As happened with I-25 with Wyoming.
flight50

#608 Post by flight50 » 01 Dec 2021 17:27

We can only speculate what SCS does. Only they know what they plan. But the hopes is to have a lot of roads to drive. Montana is a East to West state with quite a bit of open road. Hopefully we'll get that fun.

Yes, Montana completes I-15. Hopefully it goes to Shelby. So another North to South Interstate completed. We'll have 3 at that point. I-5, I-15 and Wyoming completed I-25 already as it merges with I-90 in Wyoming.
macmclachlan865

#609 Post by macmclachlan865 » 03 Dec 2021 17:42

I hope the Montana DLC will contain Lolo pass in missoula Mont. 43 yrs trucking, drove the majority of passes but Lolo scared me.
flight50

#610 Post by flight50 » 03 Dec 2021 21:23

@macmclachlan865 If you are referring to finishing up US-12 from Grangeville to Missoula, Mt, yeah that would be another miss. US-12 is very very curvy. But the Wyoming team did a great job on their first dlc. They are not the team that did Idaho though. They where new to the team...so fresh ideas and perhaps finish out Idaho strong. I'm confident in that they'd give us a pretty good US-12 as well as the rest of the conneting roads. Very scenic route with trees and the river though. There are no switchbacks but it looks like an very nice road to drive. The road will be there but we'll have to wait and see how realistic it feels.

I found this video that gives us most of US-12. Perhaps the devs can get some ideas from this once it picks up near Grangeville and get us to Missoula.

Return to “General discussion about the game”