Montana Discussion Thread

AlexxxF1

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#571 Post by AlexxxF1 » 24 Nov 2021 02:07

I'm looking forward to the eastern part of Montana. I don’t understand why many people think the great plains will be boring. they have their own charm and zest. and looking forward to Kansas and Nebraska.
at the moment the road US -385 in eastern Colorado is one of my favorite roads in ATS. there I can finally take a break from the mountains and hills and enjoy the vastness. driving through the prairie to country music.

JeeF I think HoR it's more ready for winter. it seems more suitable to me for Texas is a place in the spring.
and Montana at the end of summer is quite possible. I think the same. considering that the Wyoming team has already started working on it since the beginning of the summer 2021. and we already have such great screenshots and an awesome teaser with awesome music. the Wyoming team has gotten more experienced and may have gotten a couple more new people. and eastern Montana will be much easier to complete despite its size than eastern Wyoming.

and we still have room for the fall and winter of the end of the year for another small DLC like Oklahoma (made by part of the freed Texas team). it would be great to get a third DLC. considering that in 2021 we had only 1.
like a christmas gift :D ) but dreams are dreams )
The Torgo

#572 Post by The Torgo » 24 Nov 2021 02:27

JeeF wrote: 24 Nov 2021 01:39 Texas Dec 21/Jan 22
Montana July/Aug 22
add six months to each date
flight50

#573 Post by flight50 » 24 Nov 2021 02:34

I don't think many people can argue about US-385 in Eastern Colorado. Those that love it, will be the main ones that love the Great Plains. Me, I think US-385 nailed the Great Plains feel so I totally agree that the GP states will have charm. Either you love them or ya don't, lol. I'd love to get more of US-385 to Texas but I don't think we get that until Oklahoma comes. We'll get that connection then. But if Eastern Montana will be filled up with US-385 like potential, I can see it being a favorite part of the GP region. It won't just be one fun road but several. US-2, MT-200, US-12 should be locks for East to West. North to South is iffy. But I'd like to say MT-59, US-191, US-89 should be locks with US-87 and US-287 looking in from the outside with portions of them at least. I'm hoping for Montana to provide almost all of its roads East of I-15. There's just a ton of space with flatter lands. So cutplanes should allow us to have a nice road network imho. No mountain models to take up space.

Montana is big and wide and it has a lot of space with great connecting roads to both Idaho and Wyoming. I don't think there is another state at this point that is as important as Montana. Montana bails out Idaho but that is no fault of Idaho. Idaho is what it is due to its real life road network. Beyond Montana, the states will get smaller and that gaps in the road won't be like I-84 or I-90 that we had. Step step states or stacked, doesn't matter. The interstates in the GPs don't really connect between I-25 and I-29/I-35 East to West if you look a things from Montana, all the way down to Kansas. We'll have to take backroads until the GP states can introduce I-29/I-35 all the way up to Minnesota and North Dakota.

I definitely agree that the Wyoming team gained a lot of experience. I'm still impressed with what they pulled off. Goes to show SCS trained great and/or found some good talent. With Wyoming behind them, they are not newbies anymore. Very capable just like the rest of the team. Adding a few new people would be great as well. I think it was said that 8 people worked Wyoming full time with 2 coming and going pitching in. Don't quote me on those exact numbers though, I slept since then :D . If they can add a permanent 10 to Montana, they'd be in even better shape which to me, means they have more people to build more roads. But SCS could also use a few extra bodies on the rebuild. They need at least 5 for that whole team imo. Does SCS hold until Texas is out or do they add a few more now to the rebuild team? Last xmas, Pavel mentioned that ATS had around 30 mappers. Most where in Texas but if ATS has a solid 30-35 mappers....just mappers, the US will start to populate a bit quicker in the upcoming years as the states get smaller. The smaller the state, the less sectors to work it so smaller teams can take on more projects simultaneously.

I agree with @The Torgo. No way those dates stick. Texas barely gets blogs. Dec is next week. SCS goes on holidays in about 3 weeks. No chance Texas releases for 2021. Not to mention, there are no compatibility roads linking NM to Texas. That always happens during open betas when a map dlc is about to release. Montana, the team working it just wrapped up Wyoming a couple months ago. Montana is a solid 25-30 percent larger and it took SCS 10 months to build it and 2 to bug test. Summer 2022 for Texas and Winter 2022 for Montana is more realistic.
Onagerlinn

#574 Post by Onagerlinn » 24 Nov 2021 07:33

I'm thinking July 2022 for Texas, November 2022 for Montana.
flight50

#575 Post by flight50 » 24 Nov 2021 13:24

^Yeah I think we get back to that 2 dlc month release time frame. Summer = June/July and Winter = Oct/Nov. Texas got us off track but I think 2022 we get back on track. Then 2023 could bring a totally new time frame if they go with 3 maps a year. But that's in the distant future. What I'm most interested in til we get that far ahead are more blogs for Texas and Montana to get more info on what we will be getting. Its cool to come here and gossip about the map blogs and discuss the latest news for maps.

Something else is DX12. Its doesn't seem like its coming with 1.43ob. Is Texas and Montana made with DX12? What new features and updates can we expect in the upcoming updates that will come with Texas and Montana. Where are these complex prefabs that was talked about early 2020 in a blog? These to states being so large could benefit from a new approach to prefabs. When it comes to huge spread out depots like logging, mining, farming and quarries, these are the best to make complex as we should be able to have multiple sections of the same depot. I'm lookin for dynamic prefabs when it comes to complex. If possible of course. I could just be getting excited for nothing. But I'd like to think we can get a bit of random pick/drop off locations for dynamic depots. But like I said, it may not be possible so take my wish as that...a wish. For logistics, I'd love to use the check in booth as a process that will assign us random bays at a warehouse/distribution center. The same predetermined spot can use a bit of innovation. If I visit an eight bay warehouse 3 straight trips, out of 8 bays, I could possible get assigned to any of the 5-8 different bays. Granted AI trailers will be docked at some as static so that's why I say 5-8. Static is cool.

The game looks great. I hope graphic we are starting to level out with the visual quality. I don't expect anything less with Montana. It would look out of place with Idaho and Wyoming as there shouldn't be much of jump in quality. Idaho pretty much established the new visuals with ATS imho. Things like AA, draw distance could be the last things to get improvements. Other than that, ATS is good to go for the future. So if we have the new standards for graphics in place, maybe the focus shifts to improvements elsewhere. There are a lot of directions the devs can go. Each year, something big typically happens. So yeahhh, I'm looking forward to what 2022 brings. Could it be an AI overhaul to get that busy traffic that was talked about on the 2020 xmas stream? Will it be DX12?
VTXcnME

#576 Post by VTXcnME » 24 Nov 2021 15:34

I would love better real world styled traffic. Very busy from say 7am to 10am then settles down a little (but still good volume). Busy again from 4-7pm but then settles down for overnight (lighter volume or no volume depending on road type). Heavier traffic on interstates and primary roads. Less traffic on side streets. I know that's a big ask.
flight50

#577 Post by flight50 » 24 Nov 2021 16:44

I don't think its a big ask at all. When Pavel said on the 2020 xmas stream that they are tying to get busier streets, the first thing that came to mind was Cip's traffic mod. I don't use it anymore but its perfect for what ATS needs for traffic. Its based off the time of day like it should be, not per road. I hope an AI overhaul takes in account time of day traffic vs roads only.

Cips traffic mod was easily understood and the files can be changed up per user to you liking. If a mod can do it, why can't SCS is the way I see it. So if SCS can duplicate anything like Cip's traffic mod, that would elevate gameplay there for traffic. Traffic still doesn't have to be perfect but make it fun. I'd love to get into more realistic rush hr traffic. So combine time of day with per city traffic. We can't get 7am-8am Los Angles traffic for 7am-8am in Casper Wyoming. So there could be like a 1-5 setting per city. I'd give the top 10 US cities 5s. I'd go 11-20 top cities, I'd give them 4s. 21-30 I'd go 3...and so on til you get to 1s.

So what could traffic do for Montana........make it fun. Montana would have mostly 3, 2 and 1 settings. So rush hr wouldn't be bad at all there. Most people agree the AI needs an overhaul so its that could be the next big update...cool.
interstate trav

#578 Post by interstate trav » 25 Nov 2021 05:12

Are they trying for more traffic in major cities?

If that’s the case Los Angeles will need a bypass, lol because it has horrible traffic
angrybirdseller

#579 Post by angrybirdseller » 25 Nov 2021 08:03

Traffic pretty empty on rural highways until get close exburbs and suburban areas of midsize or larger cities. Montana traffic will mostly on interstates be semi-trucks or farm-trucks having trailers with dash on Honda or Toyota on the road.
wato

#580 Post by wato » 25 Nov 2021 09:59

interstate trav wrote: 25 Nov 2021 05:12 Are they trying for more traffic in major cities?

If that’s the case Los Angeles will need a bypass, lol because it has horrible traffic
Yes, it was teasered in a Texas stream a couple of months ago (or was it last Christmas even?).

Edit: well, to be more precise, they said that they want to make the cities feel more lively by increasing the number of AI objects. IIRC, it was not clear if they meant only car traffic or also pedestrians, etc.

Return to “General discussion about the game”