Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

Freeze338

Re: Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

#351 Post by Freeze338 » 27 Oct 2021 04:17

Well just because you like it doesn't mean those trucks has to redesigned or something. If you ask me 579 and VNL requires remake more. Not only that there are tons of trucks which waits in Euro Truck Simulator 2.
Grizzly

#352 Post by Grizzly » 27 Oct 2021 05:02

389 and w900 are the only classic style trucks except for the lonestar but its looks are polarising. I think these should be fixed first.
flight50

#353 Post by flight50 » 27 Oct 2021 12:35

Reworked maybe, but not redesigned. I think redesign is the wrong choice of words for the 389 and W900. The W990 would be a redesign of the W900 if you want to consider that.
Grizzly

#354 Post by Grizzly » 27 Oct 2021 13:32

Yeah reworked I'd say, better interior textures and make the round mirrors look round...
Tristman

#355 Post by Tristman » 27 Oct 2021 16:09

I have previously spoken in favor of SCS reworking their old trucks, but someone recently tipped me about the interior/exterior reworks mod that touches up the Paccars and VNL (especially their interiors).
I have to say it really makes them more enjoyable, and I no longer really mind SCS leaving their old trucks as they are.

In short, if they get reworked, that’s great, but I’d prefer SCS to focus on new additions.
pigbrother

#356 Post by pigbrother » 27 Oct 2021 16:37

Alexey mod is nice and all but it doesn’t change the wrong proportions or low poly geometry of those trucks. Lipstick on a pig as they say.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
ej890

#357 Post by ej890 » 15 Jan 2022 01:00

Is it just me, or did one of the recent game updates (1.43 perhaps?) change the Peterbilt 389's engine sound from a CAT to a PACCAR?

I just started driving a 389 in-game again after driving other trucks for a while (since the 1.40 or 1.41 days IIRC). I could swear the engine sounds are different now but am doubting myself since it's been a while and, in the time I spent away from the 389 in-game, happened to learn a lot more about the various engines and what they're supposed to sound like in real life (mostly from driving mod trucks with high-quality sound packs included). So part of me is wondering if maybe I just didn't know what I was listening to back then and erroneously assumed I was hearing a CAT because that's what I'd equipped the truck with in-game.

That said, one thing that sounds distinctly different under 1.43 compared to what I remember before is the jake brake. I distinctly remember it being pretty loud on the 389 when I first started playing it, but now it sounds like the much quieter jakes on the "modern" trucks. (There's still a little more audible exhaust "burble" when jaking compared to the super-modern trucks like the Cascadia or DAF 2021, but it's definitely muted compared to what I remember.)

At any rate, though, I'm definitely positive that what I'm hearing now in the 389 under 1.43 is a PACCAR MX-13, since it sounds completely familiar from the DAF 2021 in ETS2, which has the same engine (and isn't available with any other).

FWIW, in both cases (before and after) the 389s I was driving have been equipped with CAT C15s in-game (specifically the 625hp "King of the Hill" variant). I realize that doesn't necessarily matter since I think the stock trucks only have one set of engine sounds regardless of what engine was selected when buying the truck, but I'll mention it for completeness.

Am I going crazy or did SCS switch out the 389's sound bank in one of the recent updates? :)

Also - does anyone know why SCS seems to limit the stock trucks to having only one set of engine sounds even when multiple engine brands/types are available? I know the game is capable of supporting multiple engine sounds from a technical perspective, because mod trucks do it all the time and offer great variety and realism in engine sounds. I can understand that SCS might not want to spend the time/money chasing down all the different real-life configurations, but it seems odd that they would remove a perfectly good set of sounds in order to replace them with sounds from a different engine. I noticed they did this once before with the Western Star 49X, which sounded like a Cummins when it was first released but changed to a Detroit when they "finished" the mod in a subsequent version (added the sleepers and such) - even for trucks I already owned which were actually configured with Cummins engines. In that case I didn't complain as I'm not a huge fan of the stock Cummins sounds, but the CAT sounds were one of my favorite aspects of the 389, so if they really did remove it, that's very sad to see. :( Is it for licensing reasons? Do the truck companies only want to have "their own" engines featured in-game (Detroit for Freightliner/WS and PACCAR for Peterbilt/Kenworth)? Or is SCS trying to minimize the file/download size of the game?
Jatruck

#358 Post by Jatruck » 15 Jan 2022 09:58

In 1.43 update they have tweaked all engine sounds, probably to have a better inside cabin sound after new added effects there.

Peterbilt 389 seems it has a half made tweak. I hope they improve it in the future.
Freeze338

#359 Post by Freeze338 » 15 Jan 2022 10:32

I don't know. I'm using Kriechbaum sound mod for a long time. I even forgot the original sounds except Mack and Volvo.
ej890

#360 Post by ej890 » 16 Jan 2022 03:52

Freeze338 wrote: 15 Jan 2022 10:32 I don't know. I'm using Kriechbaum sound mod for a long time. I even forgot the original sounds except Mack and Volvo.
I was familiar with Kriechbaum's sounds from several of the truck mods I have installed which include them, but I didn't have his sound pack for the stock trucks since I couldn't find it in the Steam Workshop. I've found it now here on the SCS forum and have installed it - much better! :-D

I can now clearly recognize the CAT C15 in the 389 as sounding like a CAT rather than a PACCAR. And, now that I've had the chance to hear them side by side in the same truck, it's now apparent to me that the stock game's engine sound in the 389 that I was hearing was a PACCAR the whole time. I had indeed mis-identified it earlier because I didn't know any better at the time. :-)

The 1.43 update definitely was an improvement across the board to the realism of the system, and I think that's what threw me off and had me thinking SCS had changed the 389's stock sound in the update. It wasn't quite the same as I'd remembered from before so it forced me to rethink what I was listening to instead of just taking on faith that that was what a CAT C15 is "supposed" to sound like. ;-)

Return to “General discussion about the game”