Which ats city should be reworked?

Which city should be reworked in the next update?

Bakersfield
8%
Los Angeles
49%
San Diego
4%
Fresno
2%
Phoenix
5%
Other comment down
6%
San Francisco
14%
Oakland
11%
Hornbrook
2%

Total votes: 231

leo.arevalo12ss

Which ats city should be reworked?

#1 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 24 Sep 2020 03:48

We got Vegas reworked in 1.38 and I have decided to create a list of cities that should be reworked and there is the other choice and make sure to say which city you want to be reworked.
Last edited by leo.arevalo12ss on 04 Oct 2020 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
TomDooley

Re: Which ats city should be reworked?

#2 Post by TomDooley » 24 Sep 2020 04:57

Which one NOT ???

You can take virtually any "city" from the first maps and overhaul them. Yes, including Vegas (again). I'd agree though that the big cities in Cali (L.A., S.F., Oakland, San Diego) are worst now.

It would also be nice if SCS would acknowledge and add the large city sprawls sorroundig Los Angeles and around the 'Bay/Silicon Valley, and stop pretending it's going through rural pastures there.
flight50

#3 Post by flight50 » 24 Sep 2020 06:17

Fairly difficult choice. I agree that any city in the basemap is worthy. But I disagree on Vegas. Vegas is much much better. Leave it alone, do something else. I don't see Bakersfield and Fresno as must have's over the other options. LA is going to take time to do it right. San Diego is the other major deal. Southern Cali can get a big overhaul. Phoenix, I might have to go with Phoenix honestly because everyone will chose LA. I'll pick Phoenix for a few reasons:

1) I think LA needs to be thoroughly rebuilt from scratch. So much can get added and much more value can come to it. Don't rush it just to get something out. Put a person or 2 on it for 6 months if need be, phase it in 2 parts perhaps. Or just keep someone on it until done. Maybe like Summer of 2021 like 1.41 when Wyoming comes.

2) Phoenix is less work imo. The main issues I have with Phoenix are the two (2) large junctions and US-60 not being in the right location. Those junction just aren't right. The West one isn't bad but the East one, is just wrong. US highways don't have continuous flow thru traffic like Phoenix is depicting. You don't get off on off ramps to continue straight thru. An off ramp takes you in a different direction. As far as the city itself, I don't know the city or how accurate it is but its not to bad looking coming from a person looking in from the outside. Also, the (2) junctions are too sharp and SCS can do much better now. We actually drive thru Phoenix, unlike LA and San Diego we drive on the outskirts. Phoenix is like Albuquerque. You enjoy the drive thru the bulk of the city but on the Interstate. Getting I-17 to flow thru to merge with I-10 creates the square grid for the Warehouse district.

3) Everyone will most likely say LA but poll asked, reworked and LA needs to be rebuilt, not reworked.

US-60 shouldn't be where AZ-202 is. It goes further South as I-10 comes off of AZ-143. So with a Vegas like rework, I think Phoenix works best as next. But of course for this to happen, SCS would have had to be working it already. I don't know what city rebuild or rework we'll see next but I sure hope the trend continues. Pavel did say in 2018 that the base map will get updated to be on par with paid dlc's. So far so good. Things are heading in the right direction at least. 1-2 rebuilds/reworks per year works for me. Eventually all will get done. Luckily for ATS, its much less of it to do that ETS2.
pigbrother

#4 Post by pigbrother » 24 Sep 2020 06:28

Fixing Phoenix would be nice because the whole Arizona was tweaked in a few ocasions and this will be a final step to make the whole state acceptable. Maybe is just me, but with a better Phoenix, Arizona won’t be that far behind New Mexico.

Nevada was also tweaked a little and with new Tonopah and Las Vegas is much better. There aren’t many cities there anyway, so Nevada is more a problem of road network than cities.

California, on the other hand... deep sigh.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
angrybirdseller

#5 Post by angrybirdseller » 24 Sep 2020 06:33

Los Angeles needs assets like skyscrapers and bridges and textures for the roads it's far more work than Las Vegas or Phoenix. The Phoenix is far easier as you just shift US-60 further south and use existing assets like retaining walls and shrubs and vegetation it will look good. Also, it's easier to shift to AZ-85 to the west along I-10 and rebuild I-8 interchanges without touching downtown map of Phoenix at all. You do not need to touch downtown Phoenix with relocating AZ-85 and relocation US-60 further south.

Phoenix is rework and Los Angeles is rebuilt and rebuild will take far more planning and research.
flight50

#6 Post by flight50 » 24 Sep 2020 06:38

Yeah I was gonna say that about Arizona. But I don't recall what shape Flagstaff, Tucson and others are in. But a few tweaks/ adjustments and I totally agree that Arizona will be up there. But to be completely up there for me, is to ditch the old hideous California style mountains in the background. Not all of them are bad, but the Calif hill2, the one without any depth to it....the one that looks like a bad pixelated mound of green paint splattered on a brown mound of dirt, get rid of those and replace them with better mountains and yes Arizona will get a very nice update and it can ride to the finish line along side New Mexico imo.

There might be a few other bad models in Arizona swell. There are some over contrasted mountain in the base map. The model themselves are no too bad but the textures can get a makeover. That would improve some things there for sure.
Knightrider

#7 Post by Knightrider » 24 Sep 2020 06:44

Agreed, not only mountains but also truly awful sand/rock textures on some parts of california and nevada .
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.
pigbrother

#8 Post by pigbrother » 24 Sep 2020 06:48

Yeah, the mountains look bad in Arizona, but these assets does not affect the drivable area in any way, they are just polygons with textures, so I guess it would be pretty easy to build them again is they could find the time for this.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
angrybirdseller

#9 Post by angrybirdseller » 24 Sep 2020 06:49

Arizona mountains those can be fixed where the models can be swiped out and improved vegetation, but overall Arizona only couple updates away from being to the point the difference between New Mexico and Arizona not so obvious. The re-work of Phoenix is smaller one than Las Vegas just relocating roads instead of ripping city apart to rebuild. The mountains in base map that are sore thumbs those could be reworked with new technology and techniques learned over the last five years. You can sneak in rebuild of obvious eye sore over time
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 24 Sep 2020 07:05

I totally agree on the eye sore, lol. In fact, when I heard of graphic overhaul, the first thing that came to mind was all the base map mountains getting swapped out for with the newer technology mountains/rock formations. Night and day difference from now to base map. If Arizona matched NM, I agree it would be on par with NM. NM is the minimum to get Arizona up to par along with getting Nevada and California to look similar. All should be in phases though.

NM is the base line but we can actually take it up the Oregon/Washington level if need be. I don't think Arizona is really that much behind though. Most can agree that Arizona is the state in which standards started to rise. Trying to get the base map states to Idaho/Utah level is a waste of time. You might as well redo the entire state but hat is way too much work. We need more map coverage. If we are to ever see a completed US, we can't keep asking SCS to rebuild majority of an older state every time newer tech comes out. Beyond the main base map areas, patch it up and lets keep trucking.

Return to “General discussion about the game”