Given the choice, would you mostly drive older or newer trucks in ATS?

Given the choice, which type of truck would you mostly drive in ATS?

I'd mostly drive older/classic trucks.
44%
I'd mostly drive newer/modern trucks.
56%

Total votes: 126

Grizzly

Re: Given the choice, would you mostly drive older or newer trucks in ATS?

#11 Post by Grizzly » 02 Oct 2020 00:12

I put mostly old as I've racked up the most miles in the FLB and K100E but I really like the 49X (with OM471 sound) so I'll be running that for a while.
hangman005

#12 Post by hangman005 » 02 Oct 2020 03:00

Newer, although for the original 4 trucks I did prefer the older ones over the newer.... well except the stack by the window making looking out behind the truck completely limited.
ATS HQ: Las Vegas, NV
ETS HQ: Innsbruck, Austria
Promods Euro HQ: Reykjavik, Iceland
pigbrother

#13 Post by pigbrother » 02 Oct 2020 04:16

In ETS2, I like them both.

In ATS, tho, I would go for the older models because most of the modern US trucks doesn't inspire me in the slightest. From the contemporary US rooster, I think I would like the most the new Mack Pinnacle because it still keeps a somehow classic hood and a set forward axle while having the nice modern interior of the Anthem. Kenworth W990 is nice enough on the outside, but that bland boring awful T680/T880 interior makes me shrugs. Peterbilt 567 is another decent modern option with a nice interior, only the 389 headlights seems kinda weird on that design. Western Star 5700XE feels a little bit too tacky, but I think we could get along because it has a classic interior and almost vertical A-pillars (I hate feeling like a drive a car).

Lonestar would have been OK is not for that awful grill and the tacky air filters. Western Star 49X seems nice, but I feel like a drive a SUV. The rest of the modern US trucks doesn't inspire me at all.

That's why I'm riding now XBS Freightliner FLC and I'm happy as a clam at high tide.
Last edited by pigbrother on 02 Oct 2020 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
MT269

#15 Post by MT269 » 02 Oct 2020 06:17

Seriously, is it even remotely realistic to expect older trucks in the game? I'd personally prefer a 1980s truck over a modern one.

And maybe with a weathered body as well, which could be made a reality via modding it.
Ludo Diabolo

#16 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 02 Oct 2020 06:59

in ATS I drive with a little bit of everything, except Peterbilt (I hate this brand, and it really doesn't have any manipulation when driving in ATS) the K900 also has this problem of manipulation in ATS but I like it anyway lol but not too often.

But most of the time I prefer to be at the virtual wheel of a good Freightliner whatever it is I love it.

for the survey I still put old, because I like more the robust side and the sounds more raw.
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
akima

#17 Post by akima » 02 Oct 2020 09:46

pigbrother mentioned "set forward axles". Wasn't quite sure what he meant, but found a nice article explaining:
https://www.truckpaper.com/blog/how-to- ... s-and-cons

I'm guessing the A-pillars he mentioned refer to the front window pillars. Cars tend to have very slopped pillars (~45 degrees) and trucks tend to have more vertical ones (closer to 90 degrees).
pigbrother

#18 Post by pigbrother » 02 Oct 2020 10:34

Yeah, front window pillars. In Europe they are all vertical or close enough to vertical, but due to the design, in the US they have more aerodynamic windshields and I hate those 45 degrees pillar, it makes me feel weird like I’m driving a car.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
akima

#19 Post by akima » 02 Oct 2020 14:49

In this current period of time it appears there is a cultural tendency towards efficiency (get more, faster and cheaper) over pleasure (experience better).

The new Tesla trucks are a perfect example. They are advertised as being faster off the line, lower energy consumption and less work due to no shifting required. Their fairings (bike term: idk if it's also a truck term) are also designed around being highly aerodynamic.

But what about truckers who don't want a smooth fast launch: they want a slower & rumbly launch because it feels good building up that momentum and feeling that weight?

What about truckers who in-joy the process of skillfully selecting and shifting gears? I know that I injoy this when biking and driving.

What about truckers who value the raw sound and beautiful appearance of their truck over something designed to be silent & sleek.

The same trend is apparent with cars.

If we focus on efficiency, the irony is we get less. (read between the lines)

The guy in the classic muscle car injoying his every drive but only getting 15 miles to the gallon is getting more than the guy that sees driving as a means to an end and is operating a faster higher MPG car, but spends his time in his vehicle waiting for the drive to end.
plykkegaard

#20 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Oct 2020 15:35

akima wrote: 02 Oct 2020 14:49 What about truckers who in-joy the process of skillfully selecting and shifting gears? I know that I injoy this when biking and driving.
Speaking of bikes electronic shifting or motor assisted is already a good business
This will also happen in the trucking world
Everybody is a bit lazy :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “General discussion about the game”