Given the choice, would you mostly drive older or newer trucks in ATS?

Given the choice, which type of truck would you mostly drive in ATS?

I'd mostly drive older/classic trucks.
45%
I'd mostly drive newer/modern trucks.
55%

Total votes: 125

Solitaire

Re: Given the choice, would you mostly drive older or newer trucks in ATS?

#31 Post by Solitaire » 08 Oct 2020 10:51

I started my road career on a 1942 Mack with a wooden bench, a steering wheel as big as a bicycle wheel (power steering with arm oil) and of course the good old "knitter" that is to say the 2 gear levers.
Now a bit of old style modernism is my preference like the W900 - the Peterbilt 389 - and now my favorite truck is the Lonestar

Sorry for the bad English I use a translator because I am French and if I understand the general terms I am unable to write it

Solitaire

#33 Post by Solitaire » 08 Oct 2020 13:01

If we add the leaf springs in place of the current air suspensions, my buttocks and back (to put it mildly) still remember them.
But then what a truck !!!
At a very low speed, this truck went through everything, nothing could stop it. And its maximum speed 35 mph

supersobes
Global moderator

#34 Post by supersobes » 08 Oct 2020 13:48

Sora wrote:
08 Oct 2020 04:18
Whatever we're calling the '00s. I'm guessing that's probably modern for most of this board, though.
I'd consider 2000s era trucks to be older trucks since most of them aren't produced anymore.

flight50

#35 Post by flight50 » 08 Oct 2020 14:08

Defining old is the trick, lol. Anything that has a def tank is newer to me, in production or not. Anything before the turn of the century is classic and rarer to find. 2000 up to def tank is just outdated and starting to phase out. I believe for cars, classic it deemed as 25 years. At least in Texas you can get classic plates once 25 years is reached.

akima

#36 Post by akima » 08 Oct 2020 14:39

OK, well Solitaire's '42 Mack definitely counts as old/classic :P In my mind anything 80s and older is a classic truck. But I don't know much about trucks. I like that 60s/70s American truck aesthetic. 2 of the ATS trucks have that old school, boxy look. I wouldn't be keen on driving Solitaire's '42 Mack. I'd like, at least basic creature comforts and the ability to comfortably get up to 70mph if I want. The only features that I know about from newer trucks that I'd appreciate are:

- better sound insulation in the cabin
- GPS mapping system
- parking / maneuvering sensors and cameras (IE a pseudo third person mode)
- better modern suspension (less bouncy)

If I had a truck I'd want a 70s era truck with those modern features/improvements.

Mohegan13
Global moderator

#37 Post by Mohegan13 » 08 Oct 2020 14:48

It really depends on what classic trucks were added. My dream truck would be the Freightliner FLC 120 1985 (Aka Pork Chop from BTILC) also a few cabover options.

Sans those trucks I'd probably stick with modern ones.
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

cwat89

#38 Post by cwat89 » 08 Oct 2020 15:01

W900, 389 and LoneStar are my 3 favorites as far as SCS trucks go. I know the lonestar is more modern but it still has a long hood classic feel. I really like the Freightliner Classic XL also. I’m a gearhead so I love a good loud powerful engine. All this new stuff is too quiet and has too much digital stuff. I like simplicity.

akima

#39 Post by akima » 08 Oct 2020 15:46

I just checked out the Freightliner Classic XL and the Freightliner FLC 120. I prefer the look of the FLC 120. Both are beautiful trucks though. Exactly the kind of thing I love.

cwat89: I bet it's not just "simplicity" you like. You probably also like elegant designs (very well thought out) and ease of maintenance and operation.

I think people are put off a lot of modern stuff in general because a lot of it is about 'MOAR AND FASTER AND LESS BUCKS WITH A FANCY COVER' instead of being about making a really great, refined product that is well thought out, ergonomic, enduring and a pleasure to use.

flight50

#40 Post by flight50 » 08 Oct 2020 16:59

The Freighliner XL is a cool truck but I agree on the FLC120. I love the smaller sleeper and the flat roof look along with the straight non sloped nose/bonnet. I'd rock the 120 for sure. I am also just like @cwat89, give me the loud engine trucks with the equally as lout jake. I seriously don't like quiet trucks at all. The too modern trucks I don't like. The Cascadia and the 5700 works for me modern wise because I love the sound of the DD series engines. The T680, 579, the VNL's, the LT....when I pass them on the Interstates in stop and go traffic, they are wayyyyyyyyy to quiet for me. I roll up on a 2000s Pete, FL or Kenworth and you can feel that truck work to get rolling again in stop and go Interstate traffic.

Give me those. I'd first take the K100 then a FLC. I am sure each truck brand I'd have a favorite to go with but it seems like Freightliner has the bulk of all the good one I like.

Return to “General discussion about the game”