General purpose truck customization

Samus L. Jackson

General purpose truck customization

#1 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 08 Nov 2020 21:57

Newbies question...experts respond?

There's lots of questions I have...but maybe none of them worth their own thread. I don't normally play driving games, unless they're arcadey, and I don't know anything about real life trucks or trucking. Me, I'd like to customize trucks in a way that's somewhat realistic. So I guess I'll start with a few questions, hopefully people more knowledgeable than me can chime in, share their thoughts.

Steering wheels...
So it looks like each truck has a couple of factory options, the rest are part of the DLC pack. Thing is, for example, the Kenworth W900 factory wheel has all sorts of buttons and controls on them, as many real life steering wheels do. The ones in the DLC pack are just a wheel. Seems like you would sacrifice a ton of functionality for something cosmetic. So are any of these DLC wheels at all realistic? Or do truckers just stick with their factory steering wheels?

Exhaust stacks...
Double exhaust stacks look cool. I like it. But say....on a Peterbilt 579, would there be any reason to have double exhaust in real life vs a single exhaust? I saw a video of a 579 with a single exhaust, but are there any factors about a truck that would require the double exhaust stack?

Transmissions...
Why do some of the transmissions with lower gear counts/lower stats cost more? So far I've stuck with Eaton 18 speeds because well, do trucks with the most HP really use a 13 speed? (I don't use any with retarders, I just use engine brake 90% of the time) But yeah, why would a 6 or 7 speed be further down the list (thus more expensive and supposedly "better") when the stat values are so much lower? If your truck is something with a sleeper that is meant for long highway hauls, would anyone ever even consider a 6, 7, or 10 speed for a truck like that?

Well, that's a few to get me started. I've tried searching the forum for some answers, but a lot of stuff seems to be really specific, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about trucks or trucking to get into the nitty gritty, so hopefully I'm not irritating y'all with a newbie thread.

rocknrollDaVE
Beta tester

Re: General purpose truck customization

#2 Post by rocknrollDaVE » 08 Nov 2020 22:07

10 and 13 speeds are the most common transmissions. my IRL truck has a 12 speed. something like an 18 speed is used almost exclusively for heavy haul as normal weights don't need the extra gears

those transmissions with less gears that cost more are exclusively automatic gear boxes. but once again there are auto gear boxes in 10 and 12 speed.
I'm on a mission to ensure the city of Pittsburgh is accurately represented in ATS.
◇ Link to World of Trucks profile below ◇

Larry71490

#3 Post by Larry71490 » 08 Nov 2020 22:12

On the w900 the smart wheel with the buttons is an option.

I always run 13 speeds. A lot of owner operators spec 18 speeds for greater flexibility. I don't get why we even have the 6 speeds for. They are pointless as we don't spec trucks that way unless it is a rigid box truck.

Dual exhaust is actually better as it allows more exhaust to leave which should lower EGT or exhaust gas temperature.

jeff_peters

#4 Post by jeff_peters » 08 Nov 2020 22:15

As for exhaust stacks, AFAIK nowadays only one is connected to the engine and the second one (if present) is purely cosmetic (yes, even on trucks like W900). It has something to do with modern engines not producing that much exhaust pressure or something. Cannot recall the precise wording.

Larry71490

#5 Post by Larry71490 » 08 Nov 2020 22:21

@jeff_peters both sides are connected.

jeff_peters

#6 Post by jeff_peters » 08 Nov 2020 22:24

Well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledinto ... tacks_now/

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck ... st.271645/

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck ... s.1366467/

correction: sometimes they are both connected, depends on the model. For example W900 daycab has only one connected while W900 with a sleeper has both connected.

supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 08 Nov 2020 22:58

In all of those examples, people are complaining about a Peterbilt or a Kenworth. I wonder if the fake exhaust stack is just a PACCAR thing rather than something all truck manufacturers do.

Samus L. Jackson

#8 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 09 Nov 2020 02:33

Regarding exhaust stacks...I posted this quick video in another thread (hi jeff_peters, think you may have seen this already!) but it's an example where a Peterbilt 579 with sleeper is only using one exhaust stack. Which made me wonder how realistic the double exhaust is for most real life situations.

Boy that thing is pretty. I used it as inspiration for a paint job, though I put my own spin on a bunch of other customizations. Pretty cool though that I could, if I wanted, almost exactly replicate this truck in game. Anyway, the exhaust stack is the other thing that most caught my attention about this particular truck, besides its pretty color.

TomDooley

#9 Post by TomDooley » 09 Nov 2020 12:51

A huge number of e.g. 579's runs in fleets where numbers are more important than looks. However, there are also companies like Hurricane, or a few o/o tractors. An example for stacks on a 579: https://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?id= ... 1QR9tJE%3d

loco4string

#10 Post by loco4string » 09 Nov 2020 13:35

The original premise of dual exhaust is better engine performance. Duals on a car can increase horsepower by almost 10 percent, and improves fuel economy. I have seen many dual stack setups that use a similar Y-pipe like cars do to use a dual set-up. No different than modern cars, the computer handles all the engine performance. Modern engines are designed to burn all of the fuel, hence why you shouldn't coal stack them they are not designed to do it period. If a modern engine smokes out the stack something is seriously wrong with that engine.

Return to “General discussion about the game”