I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

Some newbie driver

Re: I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#51 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Nov 2020 14:20

The AI isn't declining at all. The AI has done anything but improve with years. But those improvements had been way slower than the ratio one can end tired of its current behavior. And when one starts to play there are lots of things to enjoy to have time to worry about the limited AI (or one can blame itself for being newbie, for example). It's as we drive more and more that we have time to think in those other details thus the sensation is going worse. Not all past times were greener.

Also, don't confuse limited AI behavior with bugs in the maps. I've seen lot of people blaming the AI scripting due some crash they had and it happened the problem was that in some points of the map there aren't included the marks that AI has to follow to do proper yields/stops (for example). I know for sure one of those places in Baltics (unless recently fixed) and one round about prefab wherever it is replicated both in ETS2 with those problems. I know of other places with those problems that had been fixed.

For sure there are more of those kind of errors all throughout both games maps. It's a question of keep reporting bugs whenever possible so they fix things. And that's a side work apart of the one to try to improve the AI behavior itself. Even if, as I said, I doubt they have any room for more improvements until the complete revamp of the whole code arrives.

Regards
Garrington_Levy

#52 Post by Garrington_Levy » 18 Nov 2020 14:41

Haven't really noticed much from the AI traffic lately, other than the usual - inability to use roundabouts or stick to the correct lane, but I see that as more of real world thing as most drivers IRL don't adhere to road traffic laws in those respects, especially here in the UK, its normally an absolute free for all at roundabouts with old wild west showdowns going on or the atypical moron that is in the wrong lane and desides to cut across you and force you to do an emergency breaking manuvour to avoid a crash and possiblely writting off your car, which is common here - crash for cash events which is why dashcam sales are through the roof here. But at the same time I do believe driving standards are at an all time low in the UK, as I am a firm believer in non-electronically aided cars, which only make you a worse driver as the car does everything for you thus reducing the skill and overall performace of the operator.
Has anyone ever been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Robinicus

#53 Post by Robinicus » 19 Nov 2020 15:21

My biggest concerns are:

the AI hitting the brakes at the bottom of a hill (on the way up)
the AI slowing down when the 2 lane is expanding to a 4 lane
the constant AI plugging of scale off ramps

Most of these were introduced with 1.32 and really have seen no improvement; not suggesting it is an easy fix (or I am sure they would have resolved already) but IMO there really needs to be some focus in this area. I can tolerate stupid lane changes and AI not following all the traffic rules in towns etc...that is what I see in real life as well, some of these other problems though just add unnecessary frustration, especially the first 2 as it just kills the realism.
Bedavd

#54 Post by Bedavd » 19 Nov 2020 15:33

With Colorado, I've been seeing an odd AI issue where left-turning traffic will sit in the road with its signal on, but not enter the turn lane despite nothing blocking its way in. Light cycles or lack of oncoming traffic doesn't seem to change this either. I've seen happen about 5 times now. Also new with 1.39 is traffic attempting to let merging traffic in by coming to a full stop in the traveling lane. I've likely murdered entire families with the number of station wagons I've plowed into because of this and it really hasn't been alleviating the line of cars in the merging lane because they still end up hitting each other. ATS AI has a really big problem with lane changes and it feels like it's getting worse. The only time they seem to handle it well is if both lanes are flowing smoothly and they can zipper together. The second even one car has to stop it all falls apart.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
KnuteOle

#55 Post by KnuteOle » 19 Nov 2020 15:50

I always get sideswiped by a car or truck when entering Utah on I-84 by Ogden.

Always.

Sometimes, the AI is a little TOO realistic...

Let me ask everyone this: if you could revamp AI traffic, what would you do? Here are some initial, more specific ideas that could make AI traffic either more realistic or more bearable:

- Include a slider for traffic density, from Zero (no traffic, you have the roads completely to yourself) to Rush Hour (occasional bumper-to-bumper traffic in larger cities)
- Have dynamic AI traffic adjust based on time of day (rush hour = more, midnight = less) and population (larger cities have more, rural roads have less)
- Include a slider for AI aggressiveness, from Low (all AI drivers follow the rules of the road at all times) to High (occasionally, some AI drivers ignore traffic laws, run red lights and stop signs, intentionally brake check you, break the speed limit, get into accidents, and sometimes even get chased by police at high speed)
- Add more variety in AI traffic including different car colors, motorcycles, hitchhikers, etc.
- Other ideas?
Visit my World of Trucks profile and say hi!
https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4918521
Jatruck

#57 Post by Jatruck » 19 Nov 2020 16:40

I like the slider for traffic density idea:

0 - No traffic.

1 - Light traffic with only vehicles (cars, vans and trucks).

2 - Light traffic with vehicles, railroad crossings and moving bridges (Default mode).

3 - Heavy traffic mode.
angrybirdseller

#58 Post by angrybirdseller » 19 Nov 2020 16:43

AI needs improvement just how the AI is scripted needs nuances, and think its fine occasionally to revisit AI.
supersobes
Global moderator

#59 Post by supersobes » 19 Nov 2020 18:08

KnuteOle wrote: 19 Nov 2020 15:50 I always get sideswiped by a car or truck when entering Utah on I-84 by Ogden.
I frequently drive that route as I haul loads between Portland and Salt Lake City on a regular basis, and this has never happened to me.
Grizzly

#60 Post by Grizzly » 19 Nov 2020 22:17

Robinicus wrote: 19 Nov 2020 15:21 the AI slowing down when the 2 lane is expanding to a 4 lane
This drives me crazy!

Return to “General discussion about the game”