I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

Knightrider

Re: I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#31 Post by Knightrider » 17 Nov 2020 12:09

Frequently there's AI cars randomly stopping at the entrance of Weight Stations.
My posts consist of opinions and speculations and do not reflect official information.

henrikf

#32 Post by henrikf » 17 Nov 2020 12:10

Agree with this. SCS please work on the AI. This is my main complaint with this game currently.

My main issues besides what has already been mentioned:
AI slowing down for no reason approaching a merging lane with traffic on it. This slows down the merging even more. This seems to be new AI behaviour starting with the latest patches.
AI stopping abruptly when turning right in an intersection and the traffic lights turn yellow. They should never stop in the middle of a corner when they entered the intersection during green signal.

joschac2

#33 Post by joschac2 » 17 Nov 2020 12:31

The lane changes are bad too. It should be a nice smooth crossover between lanes. only time that seems to be broken irl is in traffic, in a city or a person being a jerk

Samus L. Jackson

#34 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 17 Nov 2020 13:57

unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 11:47
And there are still plenty of places in the map where one lane roads turn into a 2-lane roundabout and vice versa, which is just straight up incorrect.
Oooooof. Good point. Really your whole post seems on point.

On AI: Another thing I've noticed is that the AI seems so eager to make a right on red that they start pulling out into the intersection and stop with barely enough room to let you through without causing an accident. Making a right on red is cool and all, but most people look to see if a vehicle is coming before starting to drive into the intersection.

I've experienced some of the other complains in this thread as well. If SCS doesn't have an AI team on the ready, maybe they should outsource it to someone who specializes in it? This game has cool maps and cool trucks but the AI is actively working to break the illusion the developers are working so hard to achieve. Not trying to be a negative nancy, I still love this game, but yeah, the AI behaviour moves and behaves in ways that are so strange and perplexing, I'm surprised it's not a higher priority.

unbiasedox

#35 Post by unbiasedox » 17 Nov 2020 15:00

Samus L. Jackson wrote:
17 Nov 2020 13:57
unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 11:47
And there are still plenty of places in the map where one lane roads turn into a 2-lane roundabout and vice versa, which is just straight up incorrect.
Oooooof. Good point. Really your whole post seems on point.

On AI: Another thing I've noticed is that the AI seems so eager to make a right on red that they start pulling out into the intersection and stop with barely enough room to let you through without causing an accident. Making a right on red is cool and all, but most people look to see if a vehicle is coming before starting to drive into the intersection.

I've experienced some of the other complains in this thread as well. If SCS doesn't have an AI team on the ready, maybe they should outsource it to someone who specializes in it? This game has cool maps and cool trucks but the AI is actively working to break the illusion the developers are working so hard to achieve. Not trying to be a negative nancy, I still love this game, but yeah, the AI behaviour moves and behaves in ways that are so strange and perplexing, I'm surprised it's not a higher priority.
I bet the aggressive right on red is somehow connected to having the AI work around the extremely strange positioning of practically all the stop signs. There's always an infuriating building, sign or vegetation in the way placed there intentionally blocking your view, so you always have to stop, pull forward and proceed to to stop again once you actually see the intersection. I'm guessing they simply recycled that same AI logic for the lights?

It's probably way down on the list of priorities on account of there being zero ROI to rework the fundamental mechanics of the game. The people who'd appreciate that are already customers. They could just spend that time on a new state instead and an endless number of people will fork out another 11.99. Having said that, the dumb AI works better the more basic the map - it's not nearly as annoying in LA as it is in downtown Denver because there are only so many ways they can screw up there.

I know we're all in agreement over the on ramps, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a large team who works on this game all day every day never once sat down in their conference room going right fellas, maybe we should do something about the fact that you can't drive 10 miles without the AI crashing into itself while merging. Especially as the road network and intersections keep getting more complex.

supersobes
Global moderator

#36 Post by supersobes » 17 Nov 2020 16:22

unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 15:00
I'm guessing they simply recycled that same AI logic for the lights?
Of course they used recycled logic from stop signs for turning right on red. That's how it works in real-life as well.

unbiasedox

#37 Post by unbiasedox » 17 Nov 2020 17:36

supersobes wrote:
17 Nov 2020 16:22
unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 15:00
I'm guessing they simply recycled that same AI logic for the lights?
Of course they used recycled logic from stop signs for turning right on red. That's how it works in real-life as well.
My point was merely the fact that there seems to be a blanket logic for right turns that doesn't always apply, creating the occasional oddball scenario - and you don't generally stop twice at stop signs.

As a dev myself I realize that in all likelihood it would be a major PITA, but a dream scenario would be if they ripped out and open sourced the AI traffic component. The opportunities to improve on that would be insane.

leo.arevalo12ss

#38 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 17 Nov 2020 19:15

I agree that the ai need to be reworked but i got 3 stories to tell you on the road in ATS

One time I was on my anthem hauling in a dry van in Colorado and there was that old cement mixer and i was going to stop at the red light but the old truck in front of me instead of stopping decided to speed through the red light

The other time was in Utah where I had to pull over for weight station and a car just decided to block my way and I had to go around them

This one happens to me a bit but whether I'm driving the 49x or anthem or 389 some Ai decided it was a good idea to try to cut me off and I head to go full stop parking brake, trailer brake, and hit the brakes just so I didn't crash

I definitely agree that the ai needs to be reworked because I don't wanna get cut off much or be brake checked
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure

Googlefluff

#39 Post by Googlefluff » 17 Nov 2020 19:49

unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 17:36
My point was merely the fact that there seems to be a blanket logic for right turns that doesn't always apply, creating the occasional oddball scenario - and you don't generally stop twice at stop signs.
I'm curious where you live, because here in British Columbia stop signs are positioned 100% as poorly as they are in the game, and the US follows mostly the same standard from what I've seen. The line is nearly always set too far back from the intersection, behind the crosswalk if there is one, meaning you either have to stop twice (what you're supposed to do) or stop past the line (what most people do). You can see how the guy does this in the right-on-red video above. There are times I've had to put my car entirely past the line and nose right up to the lane of cross traffic just to see around trees, bushes, buildings, or whatever.

The only issue I have with the AI in this regard is how quickly they do it, making it look like they'll cut you off before braking sharply.

supersobes
Global moderator

#40 Post by supersobes » 17 Nov 2020 20:04

unbiasedox wrote:
17 Nov 2020 17:36
and you don't generally stop twice at stop signs.
Yes, it's true that most people don't stop twice at stop sign. Most people don't even completely stop the vehicle at a stop sign at all. However, if you were to do things by the book, yes you would stop twice at most stop signs. I do it quite frequently in real-life. I stop at the stop line or before the crosswalk, then I move forward and stop again where I can see the traffic.

Return to “General discussion about the game”