ATS Multiplayer Discussion.

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: ATS Multiplayer Discussion.

#111 Post by supersobes » 23 Jan 2021 16:29

@Drayman Those road trains and powerful engines can be made without modding the game. They do it by save editing such as this example below.
flight50

#112 Post by flight50 » 23 Jan 2021 19:30

Some newbie driver wrote: 23 Jan 2021 15:48 probably it won't be available on release time. It could be a NIGHTMARE for them to debug the new game mode problems (that for sure there will be tons of them) with the mods messing around.

Regards
I'm actually thinking the opposite. I don't see why it can be done day one. That is how you get more people in it. If SCS announces it, people will expect it. There is a butt load of mods out there yes and they all can't be tested. Maybe SCS restricts mods, maybe not. But the best way to do it is to hold a beta longer. Kinda like 1.37. It went for about 2 months if I recall in ATS. Late Feb to mid April. Fmod needed a lot of tweaks in ATS. If MP is stable enough to let the community have at it for 2-3 months, that allows 1) modders to update their mods and 2) allows people to test out those mods in MP. So day one is not impossible. The community by far is major when it comes to this. The beta testers and SCS can only test out so many mods as they are a smaller group to test. In order to fix MP bugs with mods, the community has to get involved with experimental and open beta testing imho.
Some newbie driver

#113 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jan 2021 19:41

I don't say it can't be done @flight50. I'm saying that it doesn't seem wise to do it.

There's a reason (well, probably several combined) because the MP has been announced for 4 players alone. There's LOTS of things that could go wrong and weird on a MP game, A LOT more than the current single player version. It's not a linear scale, it's exponential. I'm sure one of the reasons of the 4 people limit is to reduce those potential problems until everything would be fixed and ironed till it works smoothly. It doesn't seems coherent that kind of approach with a happy hour for mods since the beginning.

SCS doesn't need a lot of people to jump into the MP soon, SCS needs them to want to stay for a long time (something that doesn't happen if they allow so many things that all becomes buggy and crapy). Current players either will have no hurry to play it or they are already used to periods of no-mods playing (after each big update). And if they are new players coming to the game due it's finally MP (officially); the last they should be worried is to start to mess with mods since the beginning.

That's how I see it so far. We will see what they decide.

Regards
magicko84

#114 Post by magicko84 » 23 Jan 2021 20:05

I have read that many worry about those who have PCs from a few years ago, that they may not be able to handle the MP combined with the mods, in case the official MP supports them, while you are with your friends, in the private server. I have a server on Farming Simulator 19, with about twenty active mods and the Ischia Farm map. When I play with my friends there are 10. My PC has this configuration. AMD FX 8350 4GHz, stock, Asus GTX 1050TI with 4 GB DDR5,16GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and Corasir 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze power supply. I have no problem playing with my friends, hosted on my game server, with the mods active. I believe that the MP of ATS and ETS2, will be more or less like that of FS19, where you decide who to host, if you enter the password, to have no jammers, upload mods and all the server management options. Of course the graphics of the two simulators, ATS and ETS2, are a little heavier than Farming Simulator 19, especially some mods that are not perfectly optimized, but overall I shouldn't have any problems managing a private server, with some active mods. If the MP allows it, I would like to activate only two mod maps. The ProMods and the EAA, in combo. Maybe it will be possible to use the same profile I play now with my two friends on TMP, with ProMods active on both games.
My WoT Profile: https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/112204

My PC: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x8 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 3070 TI 8GB X TRIO, Corsair RM850x Watt 80 Plus Gold, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
xXCARL1992Xx

#115 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Jan 2021 20:08

people should stop comparing ETS/ATS with other games, the engine is over 20 years old and still cant use the full potential of modern hardware, so it will almost 99% be the case that you will bottleneck your CPU when you have to run the game + the "server" for it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
MikeAK79

#116 Post by MikeAK79 » 23 Jan 2021 21:43

Drayman wrote: 23 Jan 2021 15:42 It seems to me that somebody is getting mods into TMP but I can neither prove it nor figure out how to do it. I've seen rigs in there that I don't think are stock trucks and/or trailers. (A four trailer road train with 48 footers and a double lowbed hauling two scrapers). Plus there is evidence of more powerful engines. My W900 has the biggest engine available, (625 hp Cat), with an 18 speed and I am constantly being overtaken by trucks with bigger heavier loads. My rig tops out at about 81 mph and these guys are blowing by me like I'm up on jacks. Or maybe they just know how to mod trucks so that they slip by the "no mods" rule without being detected
When I was heavily into TMP over a year ago there were people able to get things through and into a server so I imagine it's happening still. Before my VTC found out and could prove it we had a member who was getting dashboard mods through that changed his lighting, mirrors, etc.

I've been playing on PC for almost 20 years and one thing I know to be true about PC gaming is that nothing is locked down and 100% secure. The biggest issue I've always had with PC gaming is just how bad the modding and hacking can get. Even the competitive shooters run by developers who invest millions into their servers and security can't stop it. I have no doubt that TMP has modders in it. Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a fantasy world.
MikeAK79

#117 Post by MikeAK79 » 23 Jan 2021 21:51

flight50 wrote: 23 Jan 2021 15:23 Yeah, mod support can make or break SCS MP. I honestly think they'll make it possible. I see MP being just as the game is now but with the ability to play MP. How they get all this working is what is w.i.p. now.
That would be fantastic for me because I personally love the single player world. If I could continue doing that while having a cpl buddies with me in that same world I'd be the happiest trucker around.

Posts merged - Don't double post - Rule 2.5
Some newbie driver wrote: 23 Jan 2021 15:48 Quote removed - Don't pyramid quote - Rule 2.12
Most people DON'T use mods, mod users are a small minority of the player base.

Regards
Do you have factual data to prove this or are you just parroting something you've heard? I've been in the ATS community for around 3 year now and I feel it's the opposite. It's rare when I find people who only play vanilla. It's usually the TMP crowd because their hands are forced.
Last edited by Madkine on 23 Jan 2021 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2.5 - Posts merged
Bandit & The Snowman

#118 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 23 Jan 2021 21:59

Do you think it's okay to parrot SCS themselves?
xXCARL1992Xx

#119 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Jan 2021 22:12

it is pretty accurate to say the mod usage is low from the people who OWN the game and the people who PLAY the game, the forum is the biggest place where you see mod users give or take a few thousands and you have the modding user base, 2 million unique people play the game each month so yes, the mod using playerbase is small compared to the whole playerbase
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
MikeAK79

#120 Post by MikeAK79 » 23 Jan 2021 22:22

Where is the evidence of this? I'm not going to believe anything anyone says, yes even a Dev, without numbers to support it. Devs say stuff all the time without any factual evidence. Just because SCS says something doesn't make it true. According to steam charts the majority of people use the workshop.

Return to “General discussion about the game”