Truck & Industry News

flight50

Re: Truck & Industry News

#51 Post by flight50 » 19 Feb 2021 01:08

I doubt very seriously if its as simple as that video looked by just driving it around. To make it in the US, you have to do your home work and be legal. With the way the government is pushing to reduce emissions, anyone is fair game if anyone bites. But yes I'm aware of cabovers already being in the US. I am specifically speaking on the behalf of Class 8 trucks. That is the focus of ATS. I see plenty of vocational cabovers and straight trucks but they all require gas. If the push is to go electric, Class 8 could target places like Coca Cola, Pepsi, Budweiser, Ready Ice, Ben E. Keith, US Foods, etc. Anyone that can do routes within a batteries limit.

Iirc, California has made a plan for no more gas powered vehicles just shy of 2040. I think it was 2038 that was mentioned. If other states catch on, that would change a lot. Fuel dependency seems to be the driving force along with emissions to make such changes.
parasaurolophus67

#52 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 19 Feb 2021 01:10

I feel like they just did it for money they lost last time :lol:
flight50

#53 Post by flight50 » 19 Feb 2021 01:34

My thing is, you never know unless you try. Most successful things are what they are because of failure. Not everything has to make sense, it just has to catch on. Look at all the stuff that goes viral on social media. Most of it is rubbish but it catches on, that is the gamble that wins. Trends, style, music....anything is possible if enough buy into it. Duration of time varies with each idea. Somethings just take more time than others but if it catches, you get the spot light.
HRTrucking

#54 Post by HRTrucking » 19 Feb 2021 08:28

dk00? wrote: 19 Feb 2021 00:50 I hope they got rights from Fiat(Iveco)
It's only new to the US, this is from Iveco a year ago :lol:

https://youtu.be/Z80wo-09RUk

I think the longer chassis they're using is from the Australian Iveco models, believe I've seen a longer one there. In Europe they're shorter normally.
rookie_one

#55 Post by rookie_one » 22 Feb 2021 06:24

One thing I wonder about, with ZF looking into coming back to the north american market, will Eaton try and to back to the European market?(their Eaton Endurant would feel at home on European trucks)
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
Skoot

#57 Post by Skoot » 25 Mar 2021 21:17

That 2021 T680 is a beautiful truck. :)
idolismo

#58 Post by idolismo » 26 Mar 2021 08:00

Very pretty truck!

A question for people who know more about this than I do, the average 20 year shelf life the article mentions, how many people keep driving the trucks past the "expiration date" or is this regulated somehow and one must get rid of an old vehicle in order to continue moving cargo across the States?
Robinicus

#59 Post by Robinicus » 26 Mar 2021 10:44

There are no age regulations at this point, other than some jurisdictions like California for example will limit older vehicles by the emission standards they can't meet etc.

Usually it is just the rules of fleets for the age of trucks they will allow O/O's to run and the economy models that dictates the life of a truck and where it is used - for example, a new fleet speced truck will often run 3 years with the original fleet (most run the accelerated deprecation model for tax purposes), then on to a small fleet or local dray company for 5-7 years, then often to either a farmer or gravel hauler until it is no longer cost effective to run....there are of course many different paths, this is just an example of a common one. A truck that is more of a unique spec like a heavy haul build will often run much longer with the original purchaser.
idolismo

#60 Post by idolismo » 26 Mar 2021 11:13

I see, thank you! Appreciate the explanation. Always cool to learn new things, even if I'm not remotely involved with the industry.

Return to “General discussion about the game”