Anyone got this running acceptably in VR? (shimmering issues)

danb79

Anyone got this running acceptably in VR? (shimmering issues)

#1 Post by danb79 » 24 Dec 2020 21:52

Have a Quest 2. Everything works as it should and what's up close looks good but everything in the distance has a persistent flickerings/shimmering - it's especially bad on power lines, lamp posts and chain link fences. It's like the whole world is vibrating and it makes it almost unplayable.

I've played around with all the settings in game (all on highest) changed stuff on Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel but it's still the same. Best I can do is reduce the problem slightly with 400% scaling but then the frame rate tanks.

In searching I've seen a lot of comments on this shimmering issue but no apparent solution.

For comparison I also have Assetto Corsa and, whilst on a few surfaces it does have a similar issue, it's very, very slight.

Are there any settings that can be tweaked as this was one of the games I had in mind when I made the move to VR and it's very disappointing.
Teksauce

Re: Anyone got this running acceptably in VR? (shimmering issues)

#2 Post by Teksauce » 12 Jan 2021 22:59

DUDE same, i was so hype to finally play ets2/ats in vr but it’s unplayable the freaking constant flickering is killing me, i would also like a solution to this issue, cmon SCS isn’t it time to have proper anti-aliasing in the game
jack123529

#3 Post by jack123529 » 16 Apr 2021 21:22

I just got a cable adapter i needed to use the vr, ill post the results later today.
RootlessAgrarian

#4 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 14 Nov 2021 07:37

I'm struggling with the same problem. Despite reducing my HMD rez to 1/2 in each dimension -- which got my frame rate up to acceptable levels -- I cannot shake this "vibrant" effect on all thin hard edges in the visible landscape. It's really quite annoying, like driving around the Mojave Desert at the height of summer.

ETS2 is kind of notorious for ineffectual AA, if I am correctly interpreting comments I have read on other fora. "The game is in dire need of a form of temporal AA to get rid of the shimmering." So said one person who helped me to tweak my graphics settings to make the game playable with G2.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
Roller25

#5 Post by Roller25 » 20 Nov 2021 09:10

RootlessAgrarian wrote: 14 Nov 2021 07:37 I'm struggling with the same problem. Despite reducing my HMD rez to 1/2 in each dimension -- which got my frame rate up to acceptable levels -- I cannot shake this "vibrant" effect on all thin hard edges in the visible landscape. It's really quite annoying, like driving around the Mojave Desert at the height of summer.

ETS2 is kind of notorious for ineffectual AA, if I am correctly interpreting comments I have read on other fora. "The game is in dire need of a form of temporal AA to get rid of the shimmering." So said one person who helped me to tweak my graphics settings to make the game playable with G2.
I have the same card as you. Could you share your settings? Do you use FSR?
RootlessAgrarian

#6 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 21 Nov 2021 01:08

https://pastebin.com/raw/RvfeuK89
that should be my config file.

Other settings hmmm, Scale 100 pct, no anti alias, Ultra graphics settings. I used Virtual Sunburn's notes: https://www.virtualsunburn.com/euro-tru ... -settings/
plus advice from a kindly stranger on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ETS2/comments/ ... glng_help/

and with those two sources I managed a fairly playable game except for that verdammte "high noon in July in Death Valley" shimmer.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
Roller25

#7 Post by Roller25 » 21 Nov 2021 07:40

Thanks. I will change some of my settings to match yours.

Did this line make a difference for you?

uset o_openvr_interleaved_reproject "1"

I've seen it recommended to be "0"

Return to “General discussion about the game”