East Coast Speculation Thread

SmokeyWolf

Re: East Coast Speculation Thread

#151 Post by SmokeyWolf » 26 Feb 2021 02:02

@flight50 I understand 100%.
J. Ritter

#152 Post by J. Ritter » 26 Feb 2021 14:21

If you wanted to go the back way to Knoxville for some reason, getting off on 411 in Cartersville and taking it to Maryville/Alcoa then cutting over would be the most likely route.

@flight50, I would love to see some of those roads. That part of Georgia is mountainous and gorgeous. I could see I-985 to 129 to 441 up through Clayton then Franklin, NC (the onward to 74 and Asheville) possibly making it. It's a really interesting drive.

If there was more room, GA 515/US76 through Ellijay, Blairsville, and Blue Ridge would be fantastic, but that is a lot of mountain to squeeze in such a small space.

I am excited to start talking about this stuff, haha. I am a huge Geography nerd (my degree is in GIS), and this is my stomping grounds!

Another edit:
Talking about textiles. Cotton production is still very much a thing, yes! When I would drive back to Alabama from visiting my parents it was always interesting passing all the cotton fields. Also, a lot of the carpet side uses synthetic fiber. Pneumatic trailers and covered hoppers of plastic pellets are everywhere around here. Lots of mills here dedicated to extruding plastic like polypropylene into yarn/thread.

If I can remember, Flight, I will put together a list of the things that I think are really common around here and send them your way.
flight50

#153 Post by flight50 » 26 Feb 2021 16:30

@J. Ritter. Ahhh, that's what I was looking for. Someone that knows the roads in that area. I was just taking a few jabs at the roads in that area. I honestly have no clue what could get added, lol. At the same time, I was tying to space the roads out so that no scale issues would happen. No scale issue increases the chances of SCS filling in gaps. I'd rather SCS fill in gaps than a map mod if possible. As far as STAA routes, US-411 and US-23/US-441 are the only full STAA routes. US-76 is STAA only up to Blairsville. On the North Carolina side, US-23/US-411 connects up to US-64/US-74 and gets us to Asheville. On the Tennessee side, US-64/US-74 connects to Cleveland, Tn. It should get absorbed by Chattanooga though. Then we get US-411 that is still STAA for sure. TN-68 is STAA and it SCS can cheat it and connect it to US-76 coming out of Georgia.

US-411 seems cool. It parallels I-75. It curves around the forest though. I want to get in the forest and drive thru that bad boy, lol. Maryville would get absorbed by Knoxville so US-411 would work. I'm all for the mountain roads though. The thing about the East is that the required mountain models are half the size of the mountains in the West. SCS can squeeze more of it in. One of the biggest pluses the East has over the West is the vast amount of tunnel tree wall paths the East can have. This saves a ton of time and space. It also create road density for sure. People can't get mad at tree walls in the East because its reality. Don't re-invent the wheel. That's the nice thing about the better accuracy SCS is mapping with nowadays. The more accurate you get, the less people complain and you don't have to go back and tweak it. Unless new road construction happens of course.

I'm looking forward to a lot of road density East and North of Texas though. After Wyoming and Montana, the road network gets much denser between Interstates, US highways and state highways. I think more people from the ETS2 side will love Eastern US more but you can't deny the beauty of the West. Having such diversity is soooo much better. The East is more like what they see in ETS2. More city and more greenery with a bit more road density. The US is kinda divided into 3 distinct main biomes imo.......notice I'm saying my opinion. The heavy green vegetation, the Great Plains with various height of praire grasses and crops then you have our mountainous/desert rock formation. The Pacific coast is like a mix of all three of those.

Cotton is a must for ATS imo. I remember I did a trip thru Eastern Arkansas thru Mississippi once on the back roads heading to Memphis with my cousin back in 07'. I recall seeing cotton fields for the first time in my life. It was very intriguing to see. I sure hope SCS brings cotton to the playing field for sure. I think it would be a such a cool farm and a very nice drive to see these fields. To see cotton bales in fields and cotton debris everywhere on the roads in the vicinity of the area would be pretty cool visuals. But yes, if you have a list of common things I'll definitely talk about it as much as I can to bring awareness when the time comes. I guess being so active here spreads the word around to several other threads to bring even more awareness. We all can make a pitch to get certain industries into the game though. For me, the more industries...the more cargo. The more cargo, the more new companies we need to pick them up and deliver too.
Frontiersman

#154 Post by Frontiersman » 26 Feb 2021 20:06

Yeah no way could you model the southeastern US without cotton fields.
J. Ritter

#155 Post by J. Ritter » 26 Feb 2021 21:01

Also pecans, peanuts, and peaches! Gaffney SC doesn't need to be a marked city, but I will be let down if the peach water tower isn't on I-85!

The aforementioned peach.
dkasper00

#156 Post by dkasper00 » 26 Feb 2021 22:02

Talking crops, another reason NJ needs more than just Trenton. Blueberry capital of the world is Hammonton, NJ. Agriculture shockingly can shine.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
leo.arevalo12ss

#157 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 26 Feb 2021 22:36

When SCS hits east coast how will they do michigan as it does have the upper part that borders wisconsin
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
supersobes
Global moderator

#158 Post by supersobes » 26 Feb 2021 22:55

The Mackinac Bridge on Interstate 75 connects the two peninsulas of Michigan.
flight50

#159 Post by flight50 » 26 Feb 2021 23:12

J. Ritter wrote: 26 Feb 2021 21:01 Also pecans, peanuts
I found several of these farms in Texas so they should come there first. Rice is another huge crop in Texas. The blogs will mention crops per dlcs but we don't get them all for some reason. Those mentioned cargo just don't make the game and it becomes disappointing. I expect Texas to get pecans and peanut but that is wishful thinking. Texas should be a boost to agriculture but I don't know if it will live up to it because no other state has to date. Any and everything that is posted in an official SCS blog, I expect it to be in the game. When its not, there is a disconnect. A dedicated cargo team would solve this issue.
rbsanford

#160 Post by rbsanford » 27 Feb 2021 01:47

About connections to Michigan, there's also a coal-fired steam powered ferry called the SS Badger that runs between Manitowoc, WI, and Ludington, MI, and is officially part of US 10. Semis are allowed, even ones with oversize loads. Apparently, it's common for trucks carrying wind turbine parts to take the ferry, and those things are huge.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.

Return to “General discussion about the game”