ATS 1.40 discussion

Mechanic_Wolf

Re: ATS 1.40 Open Beta discussion

#641 Post by Mechanic_Wolf » 13 Feb 2021 20:41

I'm amazed I am the that has seen or reported the Volvo 4x2 cable stand/ headache rack clip with the box trailers.
World of Trucks
https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/404150
FREE Brown Wolf Icon by Peace-Wolf
Kw900

#642 Post by Kw900 » 13 Feb 2021 20:42

In the US and a lot of states, the lights are flashing to let drivers know they're open or even in some cases, closed. It doesn't change if you get a bypass. The one on I-5 in California for example, will flash when it's closed as its usually open. Ones in Utah, flash when open. Doesnt change if you get a bypass. Truck behind you may not have a prepass or may have gotten a red light so a changing sign like that wouldn't make sense. It just flashes to get attention.
natvander
SCS Software

#643 Post by natvander » 13 Feb 2021 20:51

It was a rhetorical question ;). Our weigh stations are open 24/7 as we currently don’t have a way to close them. As such, the lights will always flash, and also why we can’t replicate a number of digital signs used in a number of states. The only variation is whether you can bypass or are directed in.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jarryed

#644 Post by jarryed » 13 Feb 2021 20:53

Thanks for the clarification natvander.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Kw900

#645 Post by Kw900 » 13 Feb 2021 20:55

Right, I thought it was funny. I just explained for those that may not understand how scales in the US work
Trucker_71

#646 Post by Trucker_71 » 13 Feb 2021 21:32

natvander wrote: 13 Feb 2021 20:13 If you get a bypass signal, does that necessarily mean that the station is closed?
The officers inside could be taking a break, dealing with a belligerent uncooperative driver, or just doing paperwork and don't want to be disturbed. With todays modern equipment, some stations have a plate on the highway to weigh the truck at 60 mph., and a camera to take a picture of your license plate, if no red flags pop, you get a green light before you reach the station.
gt379

#648 Post by gt379 » 13 Feb 2021 22:36

On the topic of inspection station:

each jurisdiction has their own rules.

Here in Ontario (Canada), if the lights are flashing it means that you need to enter and follow the instructions (set of lights with words).

If the lights are not flashing, you are to continue driving normally like nothing happened.

I can say that if lights are not flashing it is because:

a) the queue (truck line-up I mean) is full to the point that allowing more trucks in would clogged the highway live lane with the lane entering the station and be dangerous;

b) inspectors have detected (many) trucks that have defects and need further inspection at the back of the building (so they are busy and can not attend the scale for now);

c) inspectors are on lunch break or doing paperwork;

d)inspectors are not present on site right now (maybe went on a road inspection blitz);

Note: they are no fixed schedule for an inspection station to be opened and at anytime they can be open (even on a Sunday night late at night, I have seen it myself once!)
flight50

#649 Post by flight50 » 13 Feb 2021 23:14

@Robinicus that does look abnormally long. Even the gap from axle to axle looks like it was increased. Perhaps SCS should consider the shorter version. Especially with the sleepers. I'd love to see people use these new chassis but it they are going to be this long, I can see people getting frustrated and doing nothing but mention the super long chassis. This should have been mentioned in beta testing. That's one of the biggest issues I keep seeing is that not enough people from NA are beta testers to be able to weigh in on things that ATS gets. We have lots of truckers that play this game. I am sure they could have weighed in on something like this. Things get to open beta and people have issues with implementations of great intent but slight misses on the homework. Although WS gave SCS the chassis info, 8x4 on the roads aren't that long. If there are several lengths for 8x4, SCS should have considered them all or put together something on social media to votes or something. NA trucks are already much larger and longer than Euro trucks. Adding the longest available chassis may not be the best to implement in ATS.

There is a lot of gap between the cab and the lift axle. I appreciate the 8x4/8x6 configuration but perhaps a little more homework. 99% of the pics you find on the internet for 8x4s in NA are not that long of a configuration. That truck looks like the length of a short school bus. That's a straight truck with a 5th wheel attached. If the WS spec was given to them, that does mean all chassis should follow WS spec. 8x4's shouldn't add a drastic amount of turning radius to the equation but with the current chassis, it will. The chassis should have been lengthen just by one axle. Not added length to the subframe. So with the 6x4s we had, stretch the frame from the rear axle from the centerline of the first axle and that is all you need. I'm not sure the process they used but you can compare any real life pic and see there is an issue. I see what people are talking about now. I've only have the 49x day cab 8x4 and it doesn't look terrible, but the ones with the sleepers indeed too long.
Robinicus

#650 Post by Robinicus » 13 Feb 2021 23:35

The main issue in the pic is the positioning of the headache rack on this combo.....but yeah, in general, as welcome as the 8x4/8x6 is the 5th wheel & pogo stick placements are way off. If you look close there is a 5th wheel slider that is mounted in about the right spot; the problem is the plate would need to be slid all the way forward on the slider for any of the 8x4/6 combos. Interestingly enough, on a big bunk W900 8x6 the pogo stick placement isn't that far off....it still needs moved, but it isn't as horrible as the rest are

Return to “General discussion about the game”