Type of Trailer Assigned versus Actual Cargo Load

gearstripper

Type of Trailer Assigned versus Actual Cargo Load

#1 Post by gearstripper » 12 Feb 2021 22:12

New here sorry if this is redundant.

A few times I’ve noticed upon selecting a quick job it will give me a trailer that has nothing to do with the type of cargo being transported. For instance, several times I chose to transport empty pallets and I’m assigned - a refrigerated unit?

While looking at the quick job assignments today I noticed when I played around with the filters for bulk carriers, included in the filter results on the right screen it showed a load to be carried from AZ to UT - furniture? Now that I would love to see them try to load.

Is this common in ATS to be assigned such bizarre trailer/load setups? Is this because I’m using mods or is there a place to at least make it semi-realistic in the settings somewheres?

Even though the graphics are definitely showing their age, I’m still enjoying it and I think the real driving force behind the sim is really the modding community. There’s some really good stuff out there. Thanks in advance!
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Type of Trailer Assigned versus Actual Cargo Load

#2 Post by supersobes » 12 Feb 2021 22:15

In real-life, they will also use refrigerated trailers for hauling general cargo. It's the added flexibility of a reefer trailer. It can haul everything a dry van can, plus temperature-controlled loads.
gearstripper

#3 Post by gearstripper » 12 Feb 2021 22:45

Ah, okay. Thanks! So not uncommon for the reefers to be used that way. Interesting.

I’m still stumped on the bulk carrier stuffed with furniture though lol. Perhaps user error as I’m still learning my way around in this.
Bin_Cube25

#4 Post by Bin_Cube25 » 12 Feb 2021 23:09

I work IRL as a retail manager for a supermarket and we have reefers hauling your usual milk dairy frozen food but whenever we get loads that involve bulk amounts of chocolate they are switched on (such as Christmas, Easter eggs, etc) because we can have upwards of 40 degree days in AUS over these holidays quite commonly. I used to work at an electronics store where reefers were sometimes turned on when hauling things like TVs and other electronics
supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 12 Feb 2021 23:45

I'm not exactly sure what trailer "bulk carrier" refers to. Do you have a screenshot of that trailer?
HammerlaneHippie

#6 Post by HammerlaneHippie » 13 Feb 2021 01:16

A lot of independent operators will purchase a reefer for the simple reason of convenience. A reefer can carry anything a dry or insulated van can. It is considered to be the most versatile trailer of trailers.

I have also noticed some discrepancies in trailer/cargo relationships. Example, hauling a small road roller on a 9 axle articulated trailer is a bit of overkill. That would not be done unless it was a backhaul and even then I would try to "stack" the trailer to maximize efficiency. Also, wheel loaders are not typically hauled on drop deck flatbeds. They are carried on lowbeds to reduce height and lower the center of gravity and to ease loading/unloading. Many places that loaders are delivered to do not have loading ramps/docks.

Furniture in a bulk trailer? Not gonna happen! Bulk trailers are for things like grain, animal feed, Portland cement, etc. Google "bulk trailer" images
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
The bigger they are, the harder they haul!
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 13 Feb 2021 02:31

Oh, those trailers. Yeah, furniture doesn't get loaded in those trailers. It could be one of the mods you're running. If it still happens on the unmodded game, then a bug report about that should be written in the bugs section following the Bug Reporting Process.
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Feb 2021 13:31

gearstripper wrote: 12 Feb 2021 22:45Ah, okay. Thanks! So not uncommon for the reefers to be used that way. Interesting.
Point is that the cargo that MUST be hauled under controlled temperature use to pay better for the trip than the regular cargo. So the owner of a reefer trailer will try to prioritize cargoes of that kind for his trips, of course. But that's not always possible and to haul anything is always better than to have to do a trip on empty; so yes, reefers end hauling any kind of goods at some moment.

Regards
Steve Pitts

#9 Post by Steve Pitts » 14 Feb 2021 17:56

The odd thing with Furniture is that whilst the only valid body types are curtainside, dryvan, refrigerated and insulated it is in group bulk (which was part of the pre player owned trailers way of assigning cargo to trailers). That also applies to a number of other odd cargoes for that categorisation, such as Clothes or Tableware.
Cheers, Steve
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 14 Feb 2021 20:15

gearstripper wrote: 12 Feb 2021 22:12 Is this common in ATS to be assigned such bizarre trailer/load setups?
I am one of the biggest advocates on this site when it comes to cargo. I'm passionate about the lack of cargo in ATS and it incorrect assignments. To answer your question, ATS has a big problem with cargo. Someday it will get fixed but when, no one knows. From variety to just incorrect pick up and destinations. In a nutshell, ATS is missing that middleman company.......the packing/distributor facility. You will find loads that make zero sense. Example...a tanker of milk form Bushnell Farms to Wallbert. In reality you go from Bushnell to a processing/packaging facility and then to Walbert. No Walmart will ever take a bulk load of milk. ATS needs a big overhaul when it comes to adding cargo and situation the pick up and drops off of cargo. This is a setup issue that can be corrected with mods but why. This is a core part of the game and his should be handled by the personnel that create and situate cargo. One pitch I've been throw out is hire a cargo team. Cargo is a big enough issue that a dedicated team could be assembled. At the end of the day, the game is about transporting cargo from point A to B. What good is it, if we lack cargo and the deliveries don't make sense. The more you play, you start to ignore how incorrect things are and just try to enjoy the game for what it does do great.

Another load that made zero sense that I ran into yesterday is the Utah Kennecott Copper Mine in Salt Lake City.

Notice how we have aircraft engines, a combine and a crawler tractor. Neither you will find at a mine in real life.
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”