Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team for both games?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 297

Bob123412

Re: Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

#31 Post by Bob123412 » 25 Mar 2021 04:47

That's fair. It's common to see a piece of cargo go through two or three warehouses especially when dealing with a larger trucking company where they will take cargo from a customer to their own warehouse, then a long haul driver will deliver it from that warehouse to a different warehouse near the destination. Sometimes it will bounce between multiple different warehouses, especially when dealing with LTL cargo. Then it will be given to another local driver who will take it to the customer.
Mic_2

#32 Post by Mic_2 » 25 Mar 2021 07:54

I agree that there should be a dedicated cargo team / person. It doesn't need to be a big team, but a fee people that can categorize all cargo and design new ones.

However I don't thinm they should start with simply adding a lot of new csrgoes. The cargo senders and recipients we currently have are often quite strange for a given gargo. I think a good place would be to design proper chains for existing cargo, taking into account sender, recipient and distance, and then add new cargo chains to that.

I quite like the format that @BattlePeasant made, and it could certainly be used to describe the cargoes themselves, but personally I am more a fan of cargo chains (like the lumber chain introduced in oregon) and I think that this should be the starting point. Products are always made and transported for a purpose, and these chains will show the need for certain new cargoes to be made.
paulieGTR

#33 Post by paulieGTR » 25 Mar 2021 13:45

Absolutely YES... for a small period of time at least, to code in 'Multi-drops' or Multi pickup and delivery Jobs.
Where you accept a jod knowing that you need to make more than one journey for your employer.

Doesn't mean it needs to be a contract as such..
just something that strings multiple jobs together in some way, instead of a single pickup and delivery service we have now.
Surely it's possible.. 'cos was the 'Genoa bridge material supply' project in ETS2, not something the same but using Ext. Contracts.
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
Madkine
Global moderator

#34 Post by Madkine » 25 Mar 2021 22:03

Genoa bridge wasn't multi drops and didn't string jobs together in any way (apart from by location at the drop point).
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
flight50

#35 Post by flight50 » 26 Mar 2021 01:17

BattlePeasant wrote: 25 Mar 2021 03:19 Well, I see the cargo card something like this:

Cargo: Tires (exists).
3D Model: not required.
Unique: Yes.
Trailer: Dry van, Insulated, Refrigerator, Container (if the recipient or sender is a port, railway depot).
Required: Terpenes, Carbon black, Steel wire.
Senders: Rubber factory (needs to be created), Ports (all), Rail Export (nearest), Sell Goods.
Recipients: Voltison Motors (factory, spare parts shop), Western Star Trucks, Rail Export (nearest), Ports (all), Truck dealers, Car dealers, HMS Machinery, Sell Goods.

In this form, I belive, it would be easier for the SCS to use our proposals.
That works. I have no issue there. I gave more of a real life flow chart. Its up to SCS to decide how to piece it all together. Your process is what they'd put together but my list allows them to understand how it works first to determine how to put it together. They'd do a simplified version so no proposal is necessary. That is the task of the research department to jump start it though. If you have watched previous streams that Kraake has been on, he has shown his flow charts. He researches what it takes for an industry to be an industry. His team then takes that and incorporates it.
Mic_2 wrote: 25 Mar 2021 07:54 However I don't thinm they should start with simply adding a lot of new csrgoes. The cargo senders and recipients we currently have are often quite strange for a given gargo. I think a good place would be to design proper chains for existing cargo, taking into account sender, recipient and distance, and then add new cargo chains to that.
Its kind of one in the same. If they make new cargo, they have to properly assign it. To overhaul the existing cargo, the still have to properly assign it. My thing is, from the start with new cargo, fix it the first time you set it up. Otherwise you have go back and fix it too. Any old cargo, overhaul it by fixing it. So no matter what, all cargo has to be setup to be right no matter what.

The problem with not adding new cargo is new industries that come with new dlc's. If they have not overhauled the cargo by the next new map expansion, the new cargo has to go somewhere. So from the start, just make it correct until you can overhaul the rest of the cargo. Like I mentin previously, Chris45's mod was an easy folder process for me to use. I don't know how SCS does it but its off. If there is a sender and receiver folder, only cargoes in those particular folders are possible. Its a lot of work but you can keep track easier. I don't know what process SCS uses now but its broken.
Voltaire1971

#36 Post by Voltaire1971 » 26 Mar 2021 18:24

I voted no.

First of all I am a map guy. I want to see the Lower 48 getting finished in my lifetime, so for me the top priority is and always will be maps. Secondly I have had 133 different types of cargo so far in the game. Okay, a hand full of them were related to events and are not in the normal game. So let`s say 125 cargo types. That is quite a lot. IF there is something related to cargo, then something that Flight50 brings up every now and then. And that is more different Companies. But I don`t think, that a whole Team is necessary for that.
flight50

#37 Post by flight50 » 26 Mar 2021 20:49

Maps can always be the top priority. What the map team does, doesn't involve what a cargo person does. Now they do have to work together though but cargo does not hold up the map progress and map progress does not hold up cargo. When we say a dedicated team, we are not talking about the size of a map team which is 8-12 people. A 2-3 man/woman team is all that is needed. But you are right Volaire1971, it doesn't take a whole team, only a partial one but its still considered a team. A 2-3 man team is really good. 2 can build cargo and one can strap down loads or arrange cargo and keep track of them. They can even work along with Gaven with events to make events more innovative. 2 people for 2 games is good.

125-133 cargoes is really not not enough. If you count the cargo in ETS2, you'll understand a bit better. ATS is a lot more repetitive. I can take on category of pics I posted in the ATS flatbed thread and make 24-36 cargoes out of just 12 original cargo models. Cargo is about variety and eliminating repetitiveness. In ATS, I am getting quite bored with seeing pallets and empty packing as cargo. That accounts for like 25% of ATS van loads. That's too much. We need a lot more variety though.
SmokeyWolf

#38 Post by SmokeyWolf » 27 Mar 2021 13:52

@flight50 I pull vans and it seems to always be empty pallets or used cardboard but that is because you are near a Wallbert store or Home Store that is not a warehouse. In reality we don't haul pallets to stores or DC's. That is normally done by a local pallet company.

However when I was at National Carriers I would always take pallets out of Denver back to the plants in Kansas but that was only because National Beef owned National Carriers.
Sametbey2

#39 Post by Sametbey2 » 27 Mar 2021 14:16

Can all fruit varieties be transported at the same time? :P

:arrow: It should be in the form of Apple, Banana, Grape, Tropical fruits.
flight50

#40 Post by flight50 » 27 Mar 2021 15:24

I think I remember there being one fruit/veggie that you can't transport with other things....either potatoes or pineapples is what I saw. There could be more.

Return to “General discussion about the game”