Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team for both games?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 297

axl135

Re: Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

#71 Post by axl135 » 29 May 2021 00:27

Currently I am using the following Steam Workshop mods in conjunction with one another:
  • Ownable Cargo Market Rework (LAFAYET47)
  • Additional SCS Box Hazmat Cargo (Nitrodax777)
  • Freight Market Turnpike Doubles (Punicron)
  • Freight Market B-Double Trailers (Punicron)
  • Freight Market Doubles + Cargo Rework Patch (Punicron)
Those mods did help make ATS a little more interesting with the additional cargo and market trailer combos, but they don't expand on industries or companies, as these are just definitions. I tend to stay away from 3D mods, as past experience suggest they are more likely to become incompatible with a version update, particularly if the modder does not keep up with the changes.

Imo, expanding the list of industries, companies, and cargoes can be just as exciting as receiving a new state or a truck.
flight50

#72 Post by flight50 » 29 May 2021 00:54

Very nice mods its sounds like. I'd be very tempted to try them. But unfortunately, I can't bring myself to do it. This is an issue that should be fixed in the vanilla game. I'd rather not have to keep up with extra mods. When they are not updated when SCS updates, now I have to play with a non modded profile that isn't dependent on a mod update. Now I am back to vanilla anyways.
Tristman

#73 Post by Tristman » 29 May 2021 19:47

howey wrote: 28 May 2021 14:22 Going back to cargo itself i am concerned that we haven't seen no new cargo for 1.41 or Wyoming at this stage from the blog pictures or info in which in honesty will piss me off hardcore. Because that would mean we haven't seen anything made from scratch that i can recall of since Washington 2 years ago in that case which is really piss poor effort. Like you guys said you really can't expand industries unless you adapt the cargo for it and that mean's making more cargo to benefit the industries more. It's that simple!!!!!!!!.
You mean actual cargo placed on a flatbed or open trailer? I guess they have not shown us any, no.
They did post the industries blog back in February (https://blog.scssoft.com/2021/02/wyomin ... tries.html) that announces Livestock, Railway, Mineral extraction and Dump truck parts among others.
I believe that gives Wyoming a good chance to have new cargo?
flight50

#74 Post by flight50 » 29 May 2021 22:19

If I know howey, he is referring 3d models in general. Anything open would include flatbed as well.
howey

#75 Post by howey » 01 Jun 2021 04:02

As Flight said i'm mainly referring to 3d models on flatbed/open trailers. I be just happy even if they do add more def files for more cargo in enclosed trailers that lack cargo like the hoppers and chip van and food/feed trailers just to have more variety. I don't use dry vans or sliding tarp trailers which most of the variety is at atm. This is why i'm speaking up about the topic and trying push it to see progress for players like me that use trailers can that have alot of variety of cargo to haul as well as the industries those trailers are used for.
flight50

#76 Post by flight50 » 01 Jun 2021 15:00

I'm really looking forward to the next 3 ATS trucks. Especially the new VNL and the LT. Then the 5700/4900. Honestly I think the vehicle is very very low on manpower since the pandemic. If they can slow the role on new trucks to just one a year, that opens the door for cargo. I'd love to see 1-2 licensed trailers dlcs. But as a 2 for 1. Why get just a licensed trailer we we have have licensed and specific cargo for them. We can get one of the more popular brands that has reefers, dry vans and flatbeds. Or the best brand in like Manac that covers 13 different trailer types that fits ATS right now. Each trailer type can come loaded with new cargo along with existing cargo. I love industry cargo packs but all we have now is the forestry pack. That was great. It was needed for sure. There are tons more open deck cargo to come but in general, more cargo across the board will take ATS up another notch. Right now, ATS suffers for lack of ICC's no matter how you look at it.

The cargo in ATS could be nearly doubled in my opinion. At the least 25% more than what we do have. Imho though, I think each update should bring new cargo. Updates are spread out to 3-4 a year. Not everyone of them are large or have to be large. If there was a dedicated cargo team, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks to come up with at least 3-4 def files for closed trailer cargo. A little longer for 3d content so lets say 1 to 2 models works. I'd give them 3-4 months to create simple 3d models, strap it to a trailer and setup the economy for it properly. In 3-4 months, new updates should be rolling out. So 3 to 4 def files and 1 to 2 3d models a year equates to 9-16 def files and 3-8 open deck 3d models total for an entire year. That's really not that much to ask for even for the low side of the spectrum. In my signature, here are lots of models in the "ATS Flatbed", "ATS Special Transport" and the "ATS Agricultural" threads that are not license issue content and are fairly simple models. Equipment is understood to be tricky and time consuming. So I'm not even considering expanding on those right now. But what about all the other potential cargo? Construction/building material, crated and tarp cargo are the easiest and simplest to do. They are partially def files themselves with a few shapes necessary but no detail like equipment.

So yes I really hope the focus can shift from trucks to cargo/trailers here after the next round of ATS trucks are released. Trucks are important but so is the rest of the game like the economy. The soul purpose of the game. Empty packages and used packaging should not be such dominant cargoes, yet they account for more than 30+ percent of cargo we can haul for owned trailers. Variety is desperate needed as this ATS map grows. After Texas releases and the base map is reconstructed, we will have entire too much map and not enough cargo growth to go along with it. Construction and farming are the two most diverse industries for cargo. Each could have 40+ cargo options alone.
flight50

#77 Post by flight50 » 04 Jun 2021 16:40

From today's blog. This looks like something worthy of a heavy haul or something that can be broken down into sections and placed on a flat bed or lowboys. Metal frame support cargo like ones from this link works wonders for cargo. If we get step decks, put them there too. Boom arms, crane sections, headers to combines, tracks for large earth moving machines..... these are some models we should be seeing in ATS already because they are already modeled and in the game. Lots of models are already in the game and are easy cargo to assembly. Stacked cargo for chassis container trailers and flatbed. These trailers are already modeled. Copy, rotate, flip upside down and strap. Crate cargo. Big huge box, midsize boxes, make def files, strap down. Tarped cargo are easy 3d models. Make rough shapes, define def files, strap down. They don't need much detail. The ATS Flatbed thread was create in Sept of 2018 to bring awareness to flat bed cargo and other open deck cargo for options. Not much of anything has been added to ATS since that thread was started. Its a little disappointing that cargo is not a focus like it should be. This makes a dedicated cargo team even more valid with each update that comes out.

I noticed that Iberia got landscaping trees though. At least they used that in one of the 2 games.

[ external image ]
HagenXXV

#78 Post by HagenXXV » 04 Jun 2021 17:14

I read the detail of the glass company, hopefully it is a 3D modeled cargo to transport on a flatbed trailer, they did a focus on oil in the initial part of the blog, that gives me hope for new oil trailers, it only remains to wait for the surprise that SCS will bring.
flight50

#79 Post by flight50 » 04 Jun 2021 18:31

Agreed. All we really need are glass rack mount models. For the most part. Depends on the industry though. But large glass panes get hauled like the below. Smaller racks for smaller panes. 2-3 cargoes for glass panes, then glass bottles for 2d def files. I hope to see AI box trucks, vans and pick up trucks with glass now too. Can't forget about them.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

For the oil industry in Texas, I surely hope to get new oil/gas and chemical companies actually. Exxon, Shell for sure at the least. But I'm hoping for 2-3. New companies, new cargo. Texas is loaded with oil gas companies so hopefully some of that translates to the game itself. It fairly appropriate for Texas to be the state to add a lot more oil/gas and chemical companies because to ports along the gulf have them everywhere. Owned tankers for oil/gas is a must for Texas. I envy ETS2 a lot when it comes to new companies. Oil/gas is one of those industries that sticks out for Texas in real life. New companies across the board will help Texas for sure. Its too big not to get several now companies. Oregon got 11 when it released and it would be disappointing for Texas to get less than that. I'd like to at least see 12-15 new companies join ATS company roster. Glasson can be one. Jack & Jill, that is another name that has floated around for years and not used.
Last edited by flight50 on 04 Jun 2021 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
axl135

#80 Post by axl135 » 04 Jun 2021 18:35

@flight50 In the first photo, that looks painful for someone’s wallet. Unless that is not broken glass that I see there.

Return to “General discussion about the game”