Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team for both games?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 298

nater6540

Re: Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

#201 Post by nater6540 » 22 Aug 2021 18:10

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 19 Aug 2021 19:45 i dont think that it is allowed to transport multiple hazmat /ADR loads at once for safety reasons and IF something happens that it doesnt cause a chain reaction
I believe you can on some but not all Hazmat loads, but the loads have to be segregated to keep them as far away from each other as feasibly possible. I do agree that transporting certain types of hazardous materials together in the same trailer is a really dangerous idea though.
Daddyj60

#202 Post by Daddyj60 » 22 Aug 2021 18:48

Know it has been mentioned before but better alignment of source and destinations for cargo. ETS2 does this much better. Off the soapbox and back to topic. There is definitely not enough cargo variety in ATS, have several mods to add cargo and I would be willing to support paid cargo DLC that included a wide variety. Even with the relatively limited companies in ATS, a broader selection of cargoes would definitely help the immersion and continuation of play.

On the soapbox again - medical supplies, medicines, durable medical equipment, big equipment could bring in GE, McKesson, Cardinal, 3M, Philips for just a few. Even without hospitals or healthcare centers moving to depot and distribution would be a start. Since this will all move east eventually, ag needs beefing up all around. Add in ConAgra, Ingredion and Cargill. Huge number of coops from Minnesota on over, even Land'o'Lakes.

Basically, a dedicated team presents a greater opportunity not only for more variety in cargo types for existing industries but for the addition of more companies with better product/services alignment.
IamTheOne

#203 Post by IamTheOne » 26 Aug 2021 15:47

The problem with more cargo types is that it doesn't represent a fundamental change in the game's mechanics. What's the point in having a large dedicated team for cargo, if they all end up being re-skins of the same driving experience? Special Transport routes are interesting because you have to actually drive differently, but different crates with different paint jobs? I just don't see the need in ATS having a large team that sells cosmetic DLCs twice a year.
flight50

#204 Post by flight50 » 26 Aug 2021 16:49

^You may want to read the entire thread on what we are actually saying. No one said create a large cargo team. We only need 2-3 people total that concentrates on nothing but cargo. Cargo is both def files and 3d models. So all trailer types are involved.

I'm not sure why you assume cargo would be reskinned? Cargo is 3d models with variety in configurations, size, shape and quantity. They are also 2d def files that can be infinite if the industry is available. Also the cargo team would not just be for paid dlc. Its all cargo created for both games both core content and paid. If you want examples, look at all the links in my signature. There's 100+ cargoes that could come to ATS and without this stuff, ATS will continue to feel snubbed on cargo.
clifflandmark

#205 Post by clifflandmark » 26 Aug 2021 20:20

different type of cargos that does not require license.

Although licensed ones are the "re-skinnable", I believe 3 people in cargo will provide more density faster than the licensed ones. ( Amazon,Costco,Walmart,Albertsons etc.) that's why licensing is the painful part of SCS' work and they can do nothing about it. Companies cause it.

btw I expected to see Swift this year but there's no sign of it yet.
howey

#206 Post by howey » 26 Aug 2021 22:31

IamTheOne wrote: 26 Aug 2021 15:47 The problem with more cargo types is that it doesn't represent a fundamental change in the game's mechanics. What's the point in having a large dedicated team for cargo, if they all end up being re-skins of the same driving experience? Special Transport routes are interesting because you have to actually drive differently, but different crates with different paint jobs? I just don't see the need in ATS having a large team that sells cosmetic DLCs twice a year.
AS Flight said I never mentioned anything about having a big team for it, more like a 2-4 person team seperate from the vehicle team so the vehicle team can actually focus on the proper vehicle side of it while the cargo team can focus on the cargo side as well as improving the logistics side of the industries/companies to make it more realistic to haul. No idea where your getting reskins from??? purely focused more on open/visible cargo and trailer's that lack them atm like hoppers.

The talk of having cargo DLC's was a reason that having a seperate team can pay for itself and generate extra income were other areas of the game that are invested do not. Not necessarily saying that they all have to be DLC's just one's that are more worthy of a DLC that's all.
flight50

#207 Post by flight50 » 27 Aug 2021 01:13

This is a spin from the "Next truck thread" that I got carried away with. But instead of posting it in that thread I'm posting this here because I'm sure it would have gotten deleted. But for those that don't think a cargo team is necessary, this post shows lots of content can be made. The vehicle team makes a lot more than free trucks. They are over cargo as well and its that cargo that only a few of us are adamant about. For those that do not bother to check the links in my signature or check other references related to cargo, the below is what the vehicle team can do and why they can be the same bread and butter department like the map team imo.

The vehicle team is responsible for:
Free stuff
1) New trucks. This is where the line is drawn. Some of you are only thinking this is the only task of the vehicle team. But its not. Its much deeper than that and is why I stated they can be bread an butter.
2) new AI vehicles. City buses, coaches, cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, vocational. Licensed Class 8 in traffic
3) core content trailers. We have step decks, curtain siders and storage trailers as the last of the common trailers not even in the game. Then we have dumpers, tankers and car hauler to rework and bring to trailer ownership. There are specialized trailers that could come as new industry related trailers.
4) core cargo content. With every new industry there will be core content for certain trailers. This can be open deck type trailers or walled trailers. So lots of def files and 3d models that have to be made based on new industries. examples crops and tons of them. There are more than 50 crops and/or components available to do here.

Paid
1) cabin accessories
2) tuning packs
3) wheel packs
4) tire packs
5) light bar pack
6) classic truck(s). 1,2,3,+ K100, Mack R, FLB (most popular 3). 80s,90s,00s models is such a thing ever materializes.
7) licensed trailer packs viewtopic.php?p=1326277#p1326277. Pick any on this list. There are more than 12 manufacturer's here.

Paid Cargo Packs
1) Special transport Part 2, Part 3 or Part 4.
2) Open deck cargo and there are a lot of categories
-better lumber variety
-tarp cargo
-plastic piping (construction materials)
-generators
-hay. yes we have hay already but there is only one variant. Shape, color nor quantities are altered.
-farming equipment part 1. Licensed John Deere or Case. farming equipment part 2
-metal piping (construction materials)
-building materials
-bagged building materials
-crate cargo
-storage vessels
-landscaping
-water craft
-stacked trailers
-train industry equipment
--tilt trailer and cargo
-hauled vehicles. Includes more AI piggy backs from all the new trucks to the game and one not even created. All trucks in the game should be cargo for piggybacks.
-electrical industry cargo
-construction equipment
-miscellaneous content
-farming equipment part 2

So with all this responsibility, there needs to be a dedicated team focusing on cargo.
Tristman

#208 Post by Tristman » 27 Aug 2021 07:34

While I agree that very detailed cargo from specific industries should be paid, something as simple as having hay in different color varieties, or having metal pipes in different color/material should just be a free update no? I think some different skins for the same materials are kind of overdue by now.
flight50

#209 Post by flight50 » 27 Aug 2021 11:38

Not everything above has to be paid. Somethings should be core. It just depends on what industry is new or expanded or what just makes sense. The above is primarily guidelines/examples on what to bring. Tons of that stuff can be mixed up per industry/cargo dlc. There can also be several mixed loads on trucks for some of that stuff. One thing that bothers me is the lack of a header for the combine. Its all over the game laying on the ground or on the combine itself. A model already made. We have 2 blows as cargo in the game as a load but not the header for the combine. Those 2 blows waste a ton of wasted space imo. They would fair better if they where part of a mixed load. Lets say blows+tires. Or header+blows or small hay bales+blows or something.

Once SCS makes a model, there are tons of mixed possibilities that can happen. They just need to make a huge library and mix and match. Hauling the same exact load over and over for open deck trailers doesn't feel very diverse. But if the library of options are huge, you can double or even triple the load combination. Even better, with cargo market and with weigh stations still not active, I'd like a system that allows players to control cargo. Make it so that even flatbed....we have the ability to make our own loads based on slots on a flatbed based on available cargo per depot. If we want to do half and half, partial loads, full loads, mixed cargo loads. This all can also go in a multi stop feature if it ever develops. Things can get much much much deeper with cargo and implementing certain features based on cargo. So multi drop, splitting doubles and functional weigh stations and inspection station would all add to a much more immersive experience and combined, would be that innovation that pushes the games to that next level.

Cargo needs to be emphasised a lot more than it is. Trucks+Trailers+Cargo along with new companies+new industries is the name of the game. Its the balance the game needs. That is you economy and they all must balance one another out.
howey

#210 Post by howey » 28 Aug 2021 03:41

@flight50 there is a few points in your last post that I strongly agree with in particular that SCS should take notice at some point soon I would like to hope.

Mixed loads would definitely help in creating/having more variety/options for loads in general. Was a common thing for me when I was doing interstate back in the day and the example that @HagenXXV posted viewtopic.php?p=1594447#p1594447 here is a perfect example of it.

Also agree with the missing header as cargo, the harvester has been included now for a little while and do find it surprising that the header isn't included yet. Like you said considering your seeing headers all over the map already makes it odd to not have it as a option already at this stage.

The last thing is the feature of having full/half & partial loads, I know Snowrunner gives you the option with slots on the truck & trailer of being able to choose what cargo you want to haul so the feature is possible but I think something like this for SCS would be later on down the track when they have more of the basic features content relating to this covered but if I'm proven wrong about it then that's fine with me.

Return to “General discussion about the game”