Braking with extra axles

rookie_one

Re: Braking with extra axles

#21 Post by rookie_one » 30 Mar 2021 21:26

Drum brakes will probably be kept for certain special purposes, since they DO have certain advantages (such as being self-energizing).

That said, it has been noted that everyone are more and more switching to disc brakes, and that for most use they became the standard, with drum being an option for these special cases
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
BattlePeasant
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Galaxy The Milky Way, Solar System, Earth

#22 Post by BattlePeasant » 31 Mar 2021 05:52

It seems to me that the game has a certain algorithm that unexpectedly reduces the braking efficiency regardless of the weight of the trailer and other factors. I call this a "nightmare trip". If the delivery is chosen by the game as a nightmare, the game uses various algorithms to create stressful situations. As my interlocutors said, this is a simulator, not a platformer. Let's play fair!
More chrome for the god of chrome.
Grizzly

#23 Post by Grizzly » 31 Mar 2021 07:27

Sounds like life, my week is turning into a nightmare trip :lol:
BattlePeasant

#24 Post by BattlePeasant » 06 Apr 2021 14:13

flight50 wrote: 28 Mar 2021 23:01 If they didn't why would they use air?
In the hydraulic system, brake fluid would flow out of the hoses when the coupling was disconnected. And after each connection, it is necessary to bleed the brakes to remove air from the system.
flight50

#25 Post by flight50 » 06 Apr 2021 14:17

^You only quoted a small portion of my comment. The point I was making is that air is superior for such a large vehicle. Hydraulic fluid works fine for non commercial. The video supersobes posted a page back explains it.
BattlePeasant

#26 Post by BattlePeasant » 06 Apr 2021 15:11

flight50 wrote: 06 Apr 2021 14:17 ^You only quoted a small portion of my comment. The point I was making is that air is superior for such a large vehicle. Hydraulic fluid works fine for non commercial. The video supersobes posted a page back explains it.
The pressure wave in a liquid travels much faster than in air, so a liquid would be better suited for larger vehicles. I haven't watched the video because I don't want to waste time looking at the obvious. Detachable connection, that's all the obvious reason.
supersobes
Global moderator

#27 Post by supersobes » 06 Apr 2021 16:08

According to the video, air brakes are capable of producing greater braking power. The introduction of the video says, "Even a vacuum boosted hydraulic braking system could not give the braking effort required to stop the vehicle. A hydraulic braking system works well for cars and other light vehicles, but the greater braking effort required to bring a large vehicle to a controlled stop leads to air braking systems generally being fitted to heavy and commercial vehicles." Yes, it's true that hydraulic brakes work faster than air brakes due to time it takes for the air to move through the airlines, but it seems that air brakes work harder than hydraulic brakes.
xXCARL1992Xx

#28 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 Apr 2021 16:40

just a list why they are used over hydraulic brakes, list is not made by me
  • The supply of air is unlimited, so the brake system can never run out of its operating fluid, as hydraulic brakes can. Minor leaks do not result in brake failures.
  • Air line couplings are easier to attach and detach than hydraulic lines; the risk of air getting into hydraulic fluid is eliminated, as is the need to bleed brakes when they are serviced. Air brake circuits on trailers can be easily attached and removed.
  • Air not only serves as a fluid for transmission of force, but also stores potential energy as it is compressed, so it can serve to control the force applied; hydraulic fluid is nearly incompressible. Air brake systems include an air tank that stores sufficient energy to stop the vehicle if the compressor fails.
  • Air brakes are effective even with considerable leakage, so an air brake system can be designed with sufficient "fail-safe" capacity to stop the vehicle safely even when leaking.
  • The compressed air inherent in the system can be used for accessory applications that hydraulics are not appropriate for, such as air horns and seat adjusters.
also, you can link more vehicles with each other without the negativ effect of having air in the fluid brake line, wich can be deadly if it happens because air can be compressed, fluid not so you would loose brake force if you have air enter via the couple points from truck to trailer etc.
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
flight50

#29 Post by flight50 » 06 Apr 2021 17:50

BattlePeasant wrote: 06 Apr 2021 15:11 I haven't watched the video because I don't want to waste time looking at the obvious. Detachable connection, that's all the obvious reason.
The obvious is not always logical. But educating yourself does wonders. There is a reason for everything. Its a matter of finding that reason and understanding it.
BattlePeasant

#30 Post by BattlePeasant » 06 Apr 2021 17:52

@supersobes The vacuum booster can create a pressure of less than 1 atmosphere, and the pressure in the pneumatic braking system – several atmospheres. F = P × S. This means that to create the same force in the hydraulic system, cylinders several times larger in diameter are needed (d ~ √S).

@xXCARL1992Xx Yes, apparently the buses use a pneumatic braking system for greater safety. Pneumatic brakes are safer. By the way, to increase the response speed, it can be controlled by an electrical signal.

In any case, the hydraulic system on truck tractors cannot be used due to the detachable pipe connections.

Return to “General discussion about the game”